PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Ultimate problems

cityforever
07-09-2008, 15:32
Hey guys, I've also poste this in the help forums but its been very slow and no repsonse's, Ive searched the forum and seen a few problems the same but nothing answered.

I recently upgraded my pc to the following, AMD Athlon64 Dual Core 5000+, 3gb memory, windows vista ultimate(not my choice but the motherboard wont accept windows xp)

Anyway, everytime I try to install FM it says along the following lines, fm has been installed but not everything was, please see log, for a start i can n ot find the log, and number 2 is they a solution out they or anyone know why this isnt instaling? Ive tryed the right click function as run as admin.

Cheers

robzilla
07-09-2008, 16:12
Hey guys, I've also poste this in the help forums but its been very slow and no repsonse's, Ive searched the forum and seen a few problems the same but nothing answered.

I recently upgraded my pc to the following, AMD Athlon64 Dual Core 5000+, 3gb memory, windows vista ultimate(not my choice but the motherboard wont accept windows xp)

Anyway, everytime I try to install FM it says along the following lines, fm has been installed but not everything was, please see log, for a start i can n ot find the log, and number 2 is they a solution out they or anyone know why this isnt instaling? Ive tryed the right click function as run as admin.

Cheers

Your motherboard won't accept Windows XP??? Care to elaborate...?

roloffc
07-09-2008, 16:15

Cheers

I had a similar problem with my standard Vista. I'm no techy so bear with me.

I posted this in the help forum ages ago and the advice I got was to install it onto an XP machine and copy the files onto a stick and paste them onto your Vista systems Program Files somewhere...I think. It worked and I've been playing it fine ever since with no problems.

I'll look for the topic for you.

Edit - The topic appears to have been deleted, sorry.

Nerion
07-09-2008, 16:41
Firstly, could this be due to not having administrator rights? I've never had such problems with Vista Ultimate, and I've seen many other people post that it worked fine on their Vista machine, so I'm guessing it's not something that can't be fixed.

Secondly, I have never heard of a motherboard that would not 'accept' XP yet had no issues with Vista, I honestly can't imagine they exist..

rinso
07-09-2008, 16:43
im pretty sure my machine came up with the same error after id installed it, but its such a long time ago i cant remember for sure... have you actually tried running the game, and does it work?

cityforever
07-09-2008, 16:53
I only had a 32bit O/S of XP and I have a 64bit motherboard, I dont know why, I tryed other copies of xp and a 64bit xp and it wouldnt install.

Ive heard all about the administrator rights and stuff, but I have full control of my pc, im the only one to use it.

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 16:58
64 bit motherboard? lolllllllllll

Also, turn UAC off.

Nerion
07-09-2008, 16:58
I only had a 32bit O/S of XP and I have a 64bit motherboard, I dont know why, I tryed other copies of xp and a 64bit xp and it wouldnt install.

Ive heard all about the administrator rights and stuff, but I have full control of my pc, im the only one to use it.

Ah ok, I wouldn't recommend XP64 to anyone anyway. ;)

Emm, well if I remember correctly, default user accounts do not have administrator access (for protection reasons), I'm not entirely sure about this, but you might want to check.

Also, there's also software that requires to be run in administrator mode for it to function properly. Anyone know if this might be the case for the installer?

Nerion
07-09-2008, 17:00
64 bit motherboard? lolllllllllll

Also, turn UAC off.

1. What's wrong with a 64bit mobo? They're stable and allow for (much) more RAM to be used.

2. I wouldn't advise turning UAC off unless you know exactly what you're doing. It's there for a reason and does more good than most people realize.

cityforever
07-09-2008, 17:10
UAC wasnt turned on in the first place, the thing is with windows xp 32bit, it wouldnt install and kept restarting during trying to install it, then i got a windows vista and it went in striaght away, I tryed to install FM on my second hard drive and it gives me the following:

You do not have write premission to choosen desanation

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 17:15
1. What's wrong with a 64bit mobo? They're stable and allow for (much) more RAM to be used.

2. I wouldn't advise turning UAC off unless you know exactly what you're doing. It's there for a reason and does more good than most people realize.

Theres no such thing as a '64 bit motherboard'. 64 bit CPU and operating system yes.

UAC is a waste of time, if people are ******** they'll run into problems even with it activated.

cityforever
07-09-2008, 17:21
Im sorry if i said 64bit motherboard and not cpu

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 17:23
Well the 64 bit processors available atm, from both Intel and AMD are compatible with both a 32 bit or 64 OS.

McMaster#28
07-09-2008, 17:23
Have you tried to look in the game explorer to see if it actually installed? The log might be in the progam files(X86)/sports interactive/ folder, maybe.

rinso
07-09-2008, 17:24
it could be down to the fact youre trying to install it on your 2nd h/d.. any particular reason why youre doing this?

Nerion
07-09-2008, 17:26
Theres no such thing as a '64 bit motherboard'. 64 bit CPU and operating system yes.

UAC is a waste of time, if people are ******** they'll run into problems even with it activated.

I see no reason why a motherboard that only supports 64bit CPU's should not be referred to as a 64bit motherboard.

And well, for most people, for the common PC user, UAC is not a waste of time. Now I'm not one to prevent you from calling the human population in general ********, but I speak from experience when I say that UAC is definately worthwhile for the general public, and probably also for some people that think they know what they're talking about.

cityforever
07-09-2008, 17:27
Nope, it wont let me install it on the other hard drive, but I can install it on my O/S hard drive, but it says something at the end like the full install wasnt complete.

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 17:28
but there are no motherboards that only support 64 bit cpus...

rinso
07-09-2008, 17:31
install it on the maid h/d, as administrator, and try running the game. see if it works ok, dont worry about the error message et the end of it..

and hows about tryin to help with the issue at hand, rather than arguin with each other, eh??

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 17:33
Try installing to a different folder than the one it gives you by default.

cityforever
07-09-2008, 17:33
Tryed that, installed it onto main hard drive, started normal, got the same you dont have rights to run the game blah blah, so right clicked on the game icon clicked run as admin and still got the same.

McMaster#28
07-09-2008, 17:34
When you are installing do that under run as admin? Have you tried that?

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 17:36
Yes he has, read his message ffs.

Nerion
07-09-2008, 17:38
And you're sure that your user account (control panel -> user accounts) is set as Administrator?

cityforever
07-09-2008, 17:40
Yep 100% certain

rinso
07-09-2008, 17:43
i think the fact you cant install on your back up h/d is probably down to the default permissions it gives you when you set up the account... if i knew how to change it, id tell you, but its the only thing i can think of where youd get the message

You do not have write premission to choosen desanation

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:02
Ive now got it installed on my back up hard drive, yet it is doing exactly the same thing!

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 18:06
Have you tried installing into a different folder? I.e rather than Sports interactive, rename it to sports interactive1

rinso
07-09-2008, 18:06
on the fm.exe icon, right click it, click the "compatibility" tab, and select "run this program in compatibility mode for windows xp" and see if that helps it...

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:09
dont have a compatibility tab

rinso
07-09-2008, 18:10
oops
right click.. properties.. THEN compatibility...

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:12
Dont have a compatibility in properties either!

rinso
07-09-2008, 18:15
wtf?! hmmm... what options DO you have when you right click and say properties?? there should be 6 tabs...

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:16
Ive just installed fm07 again, and that is working fine.

I have 5
General
Digital Signatures
Secuirty
Details
Previous versions

rinso
07-09-2008, 18:25
thats odd... there should be the option in there to change it.. hmmm... im a bit stuck now tbh...

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:27
Your not the only one mate

rinso
07-09-2008, 18:29
well, two wild guesses....

try installing the patch on the game, and see if that fixes it.

if not, try a clean uninstall, and when you reinstall, put it in "my documents" rather than "program files" andd see if either of them help...

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:36
Nope exactly the same! Installed it in 3 different places, i am very confussed, like I said earlier, Ive installed fm07 back on and that works fine.

rinso
07-09-2008, 18:38
did you try the patch as well?? thats about the last of my ideas im afraid, short of creating another account on your pc, and installing it from there and seein if that works!

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:42
Yep tryed the patch, both, 8.0.1 and 0.2 and even created another account on my pc and still didnt work, the last idea i got is clean the disk, but my disks are looked after very well

rinso
07-09-2008, 18:43
two more ideas... right click fm.exe in your program files and say "send to desktop" try running it from that shortcut. if that doesnt work, see if you can access compatibility from the proberties of the shortcut. if that makes sense...

if not, does the fm icon appear in your "start menu > games" folder???

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 18:44
Did you do what I said about installing to a different folder?

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:48
Nope tryed all that aswell, ohhhh well, give up as a bad job and wait for the fm09 demo to come out, cheers for the help.

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:48
Did you do what I said about installing to a different folder?

Yep, no joy either

supertev
07-09-2008, 18:49
Hi i had a problem with mine quite similar and all i done was create a shortcut on my desktop from computer c:programfiles/footballmanager08/fm-mce
try running the fm-mce rather than the other one

rinso
07-09-2008, 18:53
well, if nothing there helped, im completely stumped, sorry! :confused:

cityforever
07-09-2008, 18:53
Yeah did the same and it popped up that the disk wasnt inside the drive, so i went to insert it tryed it again then the same message came up as always

isuckatfm
07-09-2008, 19:10

I don't have Vista so can't comment from experience but I have heard of issues installing software even when the User was the only account and was set up as an Administrator.
I've also seen people using Vista, installing FM from an administrative account and getting errors. In many cases these were solved by the following:-

Do a clean uninstall of FM from the prior install.
Don't let the disc autorun.
Open up the CD drive, then right click setup.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'.
Do the same for the fm.exe when installed and any shortcuts you use.

Before sleepwalkingpolarbear says ffs as he did to Francis Cole all the poster said he has done is install from his Administrative account, he hasn't confirmed he used the right click method. Logic may say there should be no difference but my experience on here tells me otherwise.

Ive just installed fm07 again, and that is working fine.

I have 5
General
Digital Signatures
Secuirty
Details
Previous versions

Can you check if you can access System Restore?

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 19:14

Cheers

lol........

isuckatfm
07-09-2008, 20:02
He posted it right there you blind plonker!!!

lol........

I'll be off to specsavers then :D

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 20:04
: D I didnt mean to be a c.

isuckatfm
07-09-2008, 20:08
lol........

: D I didnt mean to be a c.

You weren't. In fact I admire your restraint as when I saw the bit you bolded in your quote I was expecting to read something along the lines of what I posted in bold.

I used the smilie just to show I was being a blind plonker as I honestly read through everything before posting that. I guess it has to do with reading internet posts where you soon start to glaze over.

My FM won't install....yadda yadda yadda....something about Vista.....yadda yadda yadda....

Can anyone help?

;)

sleepwalkingpolarbear
07-09-2008, 20:11
I hate the bad publicity Vista gets. : | its the best OS Ive ever used and Im a very experienced computer user, heh.

enema0007
07-09-2008, 20:13
have you got any special characters in your username for vista. there was a issue with this.

one other point, dont have time to read all of the thread...., but have you got the latest graphics drivers? - this is really important for the 08 release.

Nerion
07-09-2008, 21:13
I hate the bad publicity Vista gets. : | its the best OS Ive ever used and Im a very experienced computer user, heh.

Something we agree on. Of course it still has its issues (this thread presumably is about one), but it's like every time a Vista user encounters a problem, they automatically assume Vista is the problem.

have you got any special characters in your username for vista. there was a issue with this.

This is true, I've had some issues with installing stuff when I had an account name with a special character in it. Can't believe I forgot that.

Dazza
07-09-2008, 21:41

Cheers

Mine gives an error under vista at the end of installation but still runs fine. Try running in 32bit compatability mode see if that works.

cityforever
07-09-2008, 23:38
No special names in the username, just dan, I dont assume vista is a problem, I find it suspect! I have all the latest graphics drivers as my pc did a upgrade earlier and it had new drivers. Im trying one more time with the few more suggestions added to this thread. Soooo fingers crossed. Fingers uncrossed, im afarid it didnt work, guess i'll have to wait for fm09 to come out.