[FM09] Using our wages...

I guess we have highlighted that we want to use our wages in some way, for some of us accumlated a hefty sum but have no use of them...

Is SI going to implement anything for the use of our wages?

Maybe like FM Live, where the manager himself is also a coach, and is able to go for courses...

I would like to buy a new Porche though.. :p

Cant 'pump' it back into club either? I would quite like that actually. Just say you were at a premier league club for 6 months and made 100k or something. Then you got signed by Bath City... and perhaps offer the 100k to Bath?

Nah... You would just pump all your money into clubs, since you have no use for them. That would be unrealistic.

That's a no-go

However I always thought that the player manager as a coach have statistics just like an ass man, but it doesn't help to train the team; its just an indicator whether is the player tactical, defensive or whatsoever...

Using the money to go for courses for self-enrichment, just like FM Live, wouldn't it be a cool feature? And then we can train them ourselves, as player managers.

However I always thought that the player manager as a coach have statistics just like an ass man, but it doesn't help to train the team; its just an indicator whether is the player tactical, defensive or whatsoever...

Using the money to go for courses for self-enrichment, just like FM Live, wouldn't it be a cool feature? And then we can train them ourselves, as player managers.

Player managers tend to...

Play? :-p

Guess it would be kind of cool to buy a Rolex and a Bentley (or a Casio and a Vauxhall for LLM's lol) but with no graphical representation of this in the game it would be rather pointless. Though I suppose it could give a kind of rating for your manager's personality that is based on what you spend your money on e.g. seen as a nice caring person by donating to charity or seen as mean and uncaring by rejecting an invitation to donate which could affect what your players/staff, fans and media think of you.

Let's go down the GTA route, where we can have our own avatar and buy various clothes and hairstyles to bling ourselves up. How many managers do you see with an afro? Exactly, none. I believe if SI allow us to buy mohawks and afro's then the series would attract a new audience of teenage gamers. Think of the money SI, think of the money!

There's absolutely no point in any of that as there is no place for cars or houses in Football Manager and the have no impact on the game. As for the clothing and afros, there's no manager pictures or icons on the pitch to represent the manager apart from the profile page.

I'd like it if our wages would be our manager score. The higher your wage, the better your score etc. Something that would keep me from negotiating minimum wage so I can use it to buy other players.

Problem with that would be that it might not be accurate or fair.

For example, a mediocre manager for, say, Tottenham or Aston Villa or Man City might earn a heck lot more than an amazing manager for a lesser club.

Thank god we're not heading down the EA route here. Like I said in a previous post if I want to pay for Lordships then I'll play a game based on the Government ;). I think wages are largely just a way of saying to yourself "I've made it".

How many managers do this in real life?

How many managers play the 1-1-4-4 formation? What's important is not whether they do it, but whether they could do it.

I'm sure some of the highest earning managers are rich enough to be able to buy a semi-professional team. And owners installing themselves as managers is hardly unknown: Michael Knighton for example.

The point would be to do away with board restrictions. No chairman selling players. Board requests become board instructions. You would be limited only by the amount of money you have available.

Yeah but then it'd be more Football Chairman instead of Football Manager. I can see where you're coming from but I think "Let's Make A Soccer Team" is the game for any wannabe Chairmen.

Problem with that would be that it might not be accurate or fair.

For example, a mediocre manager for, say, Tottenham or Aston Villa or Man City might earn a heck lot more than an amazing manager for a lesser club.

my point exactly :p It wouldn't be an accurate "ability" rating, that's what the old rating system is for, this would be something else. But yeah its not a solid idea, just a suggestion. I just want motivation to actually leave a club because they aren't paying me enough :p

I agree that making it into Football Chairman would be a bad idea.

It would give you just the minimum amount of control required to install yourself as manager. Pretty much everything else would be the same except that the board always agrees to your requests.

I suppose it might result in hundreds of threads from people demanding to be able to change the club's strip and stupid things like that though.

I really don't see what's to be gained from being able to 'use' our wages. I mean, spending it is something that has no effect on management. It's not as if buying an Aston Martin should motivate some players to try and emulate you while making others feel disgruntled at your obvious materialism!

And what manager pumps their wages into the club? Maybe at lower levels some managers might forego some of their wages from time to time to try and help the club out. But that isn't the same thing.

Personally, I'm against being able to do anything with my wages. And that is why I won't be buying FIFA Manager. Well, that and any number of other reasons!

Not really as we've stated lots of times that we're not interested in putting in any chairman modes

Thank you! I'd hate it if it became Football Manager + Chairman! As I said earlier in this topic there's always another SEGA game that lets you be a Chairman... "Let's Make A Soccer Team".

Not really as we've stated lots of times that we're not interested in putting in any chairman modes

I couldn't care less if it's added or not, but if it ever were, that would just be the most logical time for the option to be available. But since it's never going to be added, this whole discussion is redundant :)

I do think that it should be possible to put some of your own wages towards the team. For example if you are £10k per week under your wage budget and are signing a player on £25k per week I think you should be able to put £15k of your wages towards the players wages in order to keep the clubs balance good. However it would need some realistic limits, for example if you were on £50k per week you couldn't put all £50k towards players wages as no manager on earth would do something like that.

I do think that it should be possible to put some of your own wages towards the team. For example if you are £10k per week under your wage budget and are signing a player on £25k per week I think you should be able to put £15k of your wages towards the players wages in order to keep the clubs balance good. However it would need some realistic limits, for example if you were on £50k per week you couldn't put all £50k towards players wages as no manager on earth would do something like that.

No manager I know would even do the first bit, it aint gonna happen in FM because it aint realistic.

But how come noone wants to use their wages for self-enrichment? As in, players' stats in FM08 does not seem to affect the coaching of the team. Yet the player manager are given stats; ie defending, attacking, tactics..

Why not use the wages and allow the player manager to go for courses, just like in FM Live? And hence as a manager/coach, your attributes do affect the training of the team, just like the rest of the staff team is.

Since FM09 took the time bar from FM Live for the match engine, I thought it would be alright to take some aspect of the coaching mechanism from FM Live.

Err forget about the cars and houses... it was just a remark... :D I was more focusing about the player manager's stats. It just tells us our style of managing but has no impact to the game, yet Rafa Benitez, Alex Ferguson, all the AI managers have stats and abilities, and I wouldn't know if their abilities affects the training of the team. If it does, isn't it weird and unfair that our stats and abilities have no effect on the teams' training and growth?

Moreover, concerning international management, I tested and it seems to me that FM08 takes into account of managers CA as to see whether they are capable for the job. Because I took over Arsenal, Arsene Wenger becomes jobless, and after awhile I wanted to take over France as my international team. However, although I won cups and all that, the game keeps choosing Arsene Wenger as their manager. I don't get it, so I edited my CA(player manager's statistics) to 200, and remarkably, I was chosen instead of Arsene Wenger. I find it strange actually, for wasn't our statistics and attributes meant to just be a description of our managing style? Not too sure, but it does make me want my abilities and stats in the game to count.

Archived