Suggestion: Standing ovations for things other than ratings of 9/10

When a player is going to be playing his final (home?) match for the team, even if he's on loan, and he's a (very) favoured player, or has had an outstanding season, I suggest that a little touch could be for the fans to give that player a standing ovation if and when he is substituted off, and/or the start of that match, and/or the end of that match. It could influence that player's like of the club.

Examples:

~ Ben Foster got a standing ovation which reduced him to tears at the end of his Watford loan. Aidy Boothroyd substituted him off on the 89th minute for Alec Chamberlain, who was also retiring.

~ Olof Mellberg got a standing ovation in Aston Villa's final match of the season, as he was leaving for Juventus.

i'm going to stick my neck out here a bit and say......"that's a pointless idea". i mean, i'm not going to lie to you but what will it bring to the gamers enjoyment of the game? very, very little i should imagine.

I cant imagine SI are going to want thier brand-spanking new 3D players to cry little tiny pixle tears. Top marks for effort but its a tad on the pointless side.

A line in the commentary saying something like: "Olof Mellberg is given a standing ovation from the Aston Villa fans on his final appearance for the club. He has had a very good career at Villa where he has been a fans favourite." As you can see I am not very good at thinking up commentary lines but the idea of something like that in the commentary would be a nice touch.

A line in the commentary saying something like: "Olof Mellberg is given a standing ovation from the Aston Villa fans on his final appearance for the club. He has had a very good career at Villa where he has been a fans favourite." As you can see I am not very good at thinking up commentary lines but the idea of something like that in the commentary would be a nice touch.

yeah thats perfectly fine but it may go un-noticed a lot of the time. for some reason when he said it i had this vison of the 3D engine showing the crownd standing up and clapping and then the view changing to the player in question........a bit cheesy.

I don't know so much about standing ovations, but if its the players lst game it would be a nice touch to see this recognised as a news item, as well as possibly giving the players a motivation boost or a new team talk "Tell the players to win it for "player x""

How about ones for a big signings FIRST game? And maybe returns from injury?

I have a player who is about as legendary at my club as it's possible to be. Upon his return from a broken leg (in which he scored a brace), nothing was ever mentioned about how pleased I or the fans might be to see him back on the pitch.

i'm going to stick my neck out here a bit and say......"that's a pointless idea". i mean, i'm not going to lie to you but what will it bring to the gamers enjoyment of the game? very, very little i should imagine.

I cant imagine SI are going to want thier brand-spanking new 3D players to cry little tiny pixle tears. Top marks for effort but its a tad on the pointless side.

haha tiny pixel tears would be genius

Why not a say it in the commentary and then in the match report after game depending on how the players went above the move it could be referenced. Say a player moaned about wanting to move to a bigger club and forced a move the item could be along the lines of despite this match being Berbatovs last game for the club he got a cold send off, which is no suprise seeing as the way he went about his move away. If you were a league one team and one of your players was moving to the prem or a higher division the news item could say after Crewes 3-0 victory over Port Vale the fans gave a standing ovation to Luke Varney as the player is due to sign for Charlton the fans obviously understood that Varney needed to leave to further his career. There are lots of things that could be said in the match report. After Cisse's hat trick the Sunderland fans gave the player a standing ovation for his quality performace.

Same should happen if the player plays bad for a national team it should comment on him being booed off. I think the game on a whole needs more things like this although they serve little purpose in the big picture its still nice to have anything realistic and the little touches are what makes the game so good.

the game all ready has standing ovations as a comment in the commentry...

Alessandro Rosina got for me after scoring a hat-trick away against chelsea

You're missing the point.

I do agree that it's "pointless", but I would still like to see it anyway. Something someone brought up a long time ago was a sort of "crowd rating" or "fans rating" which would determine how loyal/supportive the fans of a club were. This would affect things like how well the "Do this for the fans" and home support would affect a team, and this rating might also influence how often a standing ovation occurs, and for which players/events.

I like the ideas in the opening post. My other suggestions are to goalscorers on less than 9's and 10's, players who have a good debut (even if they dont score) and those who have made a key contribution to the team in the match, e.g making a goalsaving tackle, making several good passes or setting up a goal.

Archived