the game needs away attendances...

i truely dont know who i have to ask anymore to get them in.. maybe nobody else feels the need to know how many fans your burton team has taken to your 3rd round FA cup tie to chelsea... but knowing your travling support truely does bring you closer to your club do you not think?

To be honest, no but then again I don't get as involved as a lot of people on here seem to. Don't get me wrong, I am sad enough to have used the words 'love' and 'Lima' when my regen Brazilian striker scores an 86th minute goal that wins me my first FA Cup. But being told that 2000 fans turned up for an away match instead of 20 would pass me right by.

But I can imagine the team talks as a lower league team in a crappy country

Instead of

Do it for the fans

it'll be

Do it for Joey, Tim and Paul

and in the match confidence section

Spokesman Joey Truefan reports that Tim and Paul were unhappy with the team's inability to convert chances into goals

It might be something that is intended in the future as there is a variable in the editor called 'hardcore fan percentage' (or something like that) which I wildly speculate, as is the custom, would probably impact on this.

How many games IRL do you honestly know the away attendances for? The commentator may say "Theres around X amount of traveling fans" but they don't even have exact figures. A bit much, if you ask me.

Really? It's not like we're asking for 3D or anything. Oh wait...

but how often do you know how many away fans there are at a game irl?? you dont, simple as...

and i fail to se how the game "needs" it in, far more stuff thats ahead of this in the line, imho

what, of course you do, you can always find out your away support, and its nice to know, especially if you was there aswell. dying breed the away fan and they should be respected on the great game that is football manager.

you cannot find out the number of away fans there, simply because they dont all buy tickets through your club

Clubs can tell how many away fans went to the game, of course they can...

They get told their ticket allocations before they put them on sale. They can then work it out by calculating how many are sold. Doesnt matter if that person goes or not, they have still sold the ticket so should go towards the amount of fans who attend. As for the ones who sneak into the home support...tuff lol.

So obviously Chelsea would have a 90% ticket allocation and Burton would have 10% due to the huge fanbase difference. So say burtons is 1000 tickets...then they sell only 675 (that is how many will probably attend). I think lol. Not hard to workout how many of your support turned up.

The away support is often given on official sites and in the matchday programme. And yes, an exact figure. (well, exact to a point - I remember a dreary Carlisle away match on a Tuesday night that was so bad I ended up counting the away fans. 69 I had - Carliar gave it as somewhere in the 80s. Hmm.)

Personally I can't believe that anyone on here doesn't realise that figure is given - I thought we were all footy fans? It's part and parcel of supporting a team away, finding out how many were there.

an exact figure?? i find that very hard to believe. they can only quote for the amount of tickets they, in this case, burton have sold as a club, not how many burton fans have bought their tickets through chelsea. how do you put an exact figure on them? you cant

You do usually know roughly the amount of away fans at a match, like TMLS says. Just go to any fan site or official club website and it's usually mentioned. So I'd think this would be great if it would only be mentioned perhaps after the match in your fixture list.

Oh and by the way I love how active the forum is in coming up with great ideas.

an exact figure?? i find that very hard to believe. they can only quote for the amount of tickets they, in this case, burton have sold as a club, not how many burton fans have bought their tickets through chelsea. how do you put an exact figure on them? you cant

Of course they can. Since we're taking Burton for some reason, and Burton away to Chelsea. Burton would be given say 10,000 tickets by Chelsea. Burton would sell, say, 8993 tickets and would return 1007 tickets. Chelsea would therefore know how many tickets were sold through Burton, and add that to any tickets sold at Chelsea itself.

Not to mention, on turnstiles there are "clickers" that log how many people have gone through the gate which is also used for attendance counts.

Besides, I've just gone at random to Derby, selected a recent match report (away to Barnsley last weekend) and look at the bottom:

http://www.dcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10270~43790,00.html

("Attendance: 14,223 (2,921 visiting fans).")

Of course, you're going to miss those sneaked in by a steward or other nefarious means and are also at the mercy of the so called attendance fraud that a lot of clubs are accused of, but if you take those into account you could never have an official overall attendance at all!

knowing your teams away support gives you one up on other teams aswell, your away support is your hardcore support, and for all those who travel away you will know that special feeling of being out numbered in a strange place you get that brings you and your supporters closer together... ahh the away game.

Of course, you're going to miss those sneaked in by a steward or other nefarious means and are also at the mercy of the so called attendance fraud that a lot of clubs are accused of, but if you take those into account you could never have an official overall attendance at all!

Thats why its called average attendance :p.

Thats why its called average attendance :p.

Not for one match it's not! Over a year, yes, but for a single match it's listed as "Attendance" for pretty much every club - I've just been going through a number of the Premiership teams' Official sites and it looks like none of them list the Visiting Fans numbers for some reason, but none of them have called it an average!

Must be a Championship-down thing then. Very strange, regardless. I guess the real fans care for it more ;)

Well do not know about other teams then, But Burnley always say how many aways fans were at the game in the home program next to result and attendence it says travelling away fans

Etc Result Att. Travelling fans

Chartlon 1-3 Burnley 22,034 1,560 (not accurate just a made it up as an example)

Plus on the website it includes how many fans was at the game,For example this is the report from the other weeks game at Palace.

I would think the last time was at Bradford in 2002 when again we failed to beat a team with nine men.

There weren't any good performances yesterday but Clarke Carlisle turned in a far better performance than he did last time round at Selhurst Park, whilst Alexander proved yet again he can be a real asset in that holding midfield role.

We did stop the rot at one end but we've also forgotten how to score goals, we need to get it right up there with some urgency.

The teams were;

Crystal Palace: Julian Speroni, Danny Butterfield, Patrick McCarthy, Matt Lawrence, Clint Hill, John Oster (Calvin Andrew 51), Tom Soares, Shaun Derry, Nick Carle (Kieran Djilali 80), Leandre Griffit (Jose Fonte 53), James Scowcroft. Subs not used: Victor Moses, Ben Watson.

Yellow Cards: James Scowcroft, Shaun Derry, Patrick McCarthy, Clint Hill, Jose Fonte.

Red Cards: James Scowcroft, Shaun Derry.

Burnley: Brian Jensen, Michael Duff (Robbie Blake 64), Clarke Carlisle, Steven Caldwell, Christian Kalvenes, Graham Alexander, Wade Elliott, Kevin McDonald (Joey Gudjonsson 74), Chris McCann, Chris Eagles, Martin Paterson (Ade Akinbiyi 82). Subs not used: Diego Penny, Stephen Jordan.

Yellow Cards:Martin Paterson, Kevin McDonald, Clarke Carlisle.

Referee: Iain Williamson (Berkshire).

Attendance: 14,071 (including 616 Clarets).

I was saying in brackets before next to the attendence which i would prefer, But maybe they could say something in the report saying like 3,000 fans travelled to cheer on there side for this game if that makes it easier.

I think this is a good addition to the game. But I was thinking, why isn't there any more information at all about your club's fans? For example: how many fan clubs are around? How many official fans? Why can't you organize an official fan day at the start of the season, where the game gives you more information about how many fans visited the day? etc. etc. In my opinion, this all can be given a little more attention...

I agree it'd be a good addition and something I thought about the other day actually. The people that don't think it's a good idea are probably not football fans that go to many matches and certainly no away games.

being a conference club supporter i certainly know the number of away fans that travel each week...it takes about half a minute to count to 40 anyway...this is always made known to us on the club website and these fans are singled out a mention in next weeks programme....i like the idea personally.

obviously it doesn't matter much to a big club because thier fanbase is pretty much "set" whereas lower clubs will have a gradually decreasing or increasing fanbase which reflects on thier perfomances in the league and cups.

How many games IRL do you honestly know the away attendances for? The commentator may say "Theres around X amount of traveling fans" but they don't even have exact figures. A bit much, if you ask me.

I hate to break it to you, but while it'd be near impossible for me or you to find out....

If Mr Wenger asked, Mr Wenger would be told. Arsenal know how many away fans were in the Emirates last week. They know how many they took to Fulham too.

It IS information that is available to a club's manager... Even if not to the general public.

Please tell me what your club's transfer balance or wage cap is?

Please tell me where your clubs scouts currently are.

Please tell me who's in charge of what at your club's training ground.

How many games IRL do you honestly know the away attendances for?

All of them, usually the match report on the official Watford website mentions in brackets how many away fans went as does the local rag in Watford.

i fail to se how the game "needs" it in, far more stuff thats ahead of this in the line, imho

I agree it doesn't "need" it but it'd be a decent cosmetic touch.

I was a season ticket holder at Oakwell (Barnsley FC) for 15 years before moving to New Zealand, and the announcer would always say 'Todays crowd is 10,540, of which 1,002 have travelled from X(being the away clubs home town)' so clubs must always know how many away fans have travelled to the games from each set of fans.

I think it would be a good addition, and one I was thinking about only the other day.

Possibly the addition of a pundit, spectator or even an associate of the club could state how many then expect to take to each game, depending on distance, previous results, club situations etc...Being a Walsall fan i like to travel, being 15 i dont go that far, but we are on hard times with Bonser ruining the club at the top and you would think that beating Southend 5-2 last Saturday would bring in a large crowd for Orient (:mad:) but know, total attendance was 4838 :confused: and 376 (quoted from Franco) were Orient fans.

I agree with all the away attendances thing. It'd look funny with newly promoted teams in the Conference N/S though bringing 30 or so away support.

Or for even leagues like Australia, where Perth to Wellington would bring around 5 people at most. But I agree with the idea, it would be great to know how many away supporters are there.

I agree with all the away attendances thing. It'd look funny with newly promoted teams in the Conference N/S though bringing 30 or so away support.

Or for even leagues like Australia, where Perth to Wellington would bring around 5 people at most. But I agree with the idea, it would be great to know how many away supporters are there.

I think your being overly generous with the 5 people. I usually struggle to see any away fans at the cake tin.

As a Football League (and Conference I believe) requirement, clubs must have segregation and computerised turnstyles to accurately count how many people are in each stand. You would have to be naive to think that they don't count...

just a small number next to the attendance in the bottom left would be rather mind pleasing

Totally agree BUT SI must get the attendance thing right in the 1st instance,not played 08 too much but in previous editions I would see small clubs attracting a crowd of 86 for a friendly against a higher (and reasonably local ) oppositon, or it would be the other way round with some friendlies being sell outs when IRL they would be nowhere near the amount of people there.

I believe that SI factor in the away attendance anyway and it would be nice to see.

decent to see so many people who also think its needed. long live the away fan!

I wouldn't say it's needed...

It'd be nice though. Seeing as it's already in the engine, it'd be one of the easier "fluff" additions to stick in.

Ground-gradings could be introduced, and once you receive the A grade, you could get a message saying 'Due to ground regulations, segregation is now to be enforced at all home matches. Visiting supporter attendances will now be counted and available, due to them being housed in a separate area of the stadium up to a maximum of XXXX.

While I don't care too much about knowing any percentage of away support, my issue with this is that I don't have the impression that away fans have any influence on the total number of attenders at all.

Some clubs always come with huge crowds and you would not see a ground not sold out to them if they come. Some clubs should generally generate higher attendances in away matches for the respective home clubs. So far I can only see a material increase in attendance when a rival club comes.

Archived