How close is Handheld getting to the PC version?

For the first time I'm thinking of picking up FM 09 Handheld as my main FM game this year. I seem to be getting less and less time in front of the PC and whilst yes the new features on FM 09 all sound great and can see the extra depth for stuff like media, transfer rumours and the indepth finance will means it takes me even longer to complete. So perhaps the handheld version will be better for me?

How have the previous versions stood up against the PC versions. I understand they will be differences and I am under no illusion that it will not be the same. But say for example in 2008 what features were lacking? I've heard the transfer system is really limited... Does it have media? Does it have any limitations such as shortlist limits etc...scouting?

Looks like FM 09 Handheld is a step in the right direction with the 2D match engine and country hopping..

the transfer system was kinda poor...but i think it was a big area they focused on for this year

there is some media, just where you select a reply to a statement made about you/your club. this could also have been improved for 09

shortlist...hmm...IIRC if you put to many players on the list, then go onto the list, the game crashes. im sure they had to fix that for 09

I don't think the two games can really be compared. FM is an immersive management simulation and FMH is a 'pick up and play' game, and a very good one at that. I find that FMH is great for getting my fix of FM when I don't have proper access to my computer, which is pretty often for me, but ultimately it does make me crave the full game.

For the first time I'm thinking of picking up FM 09 Handheld as my main FM game this year. I seem to be getting less and less time in front of the PC and whilst yes the new features on FM 09 all sound great and can see the extra depth for stuff like media, transfer rumours and the indepth finance will means it takes me even longer to complete. So perhaps the handheld version will be better for me?

How have the previous versions stood up against the PC versions. I understand they will be differences and I am under no illusion that it will not be the same. But say for example in 2008 what features were lacking? I've heard the transfer system is really limited... Does it have media? Does it have any limitations such as shortlist limits etc...scouting?

Looks like FM 09 Handheld is a step in the right direction with the 2D match engine and country hopping..

I've moved pretty much completely from FM to FMH. The PC version is waaay too time consuming if you have an ounce of a social life. A season takes forever, but on the PSP, it's like going back to old school CM. Yeah, it's not as in depth but it's more fun - for me at least. Since the '06 version, they've improved tactics, transfers and features so the new one should hopefully be even better. If you already own a PSP, it's almost blasphemous not to own FMH!

SI, you owe me for that glowing recommendation :D

FMH is not supposed to be like FM on the PC, although it often borrows concepts from its bigger brother, but as mentioned above it's designed to be a 'pick up and play' experience.

Yeah I get that :thup:

I just wanted to get opinion on whether or not a long term CM/FM would find it too lacking from the sounds of things it may make a refreshing change and a reminder of the old days. Although I am still probably going to pick up PC version as well as some of the new features sound great. Just don't expect to get as much time with it as I have past versions.

I've moved pretty much completely from FM to FMH. The PC version is waaay too time consuming if you have an ounce of a social life. A season takes forever, but on the PSP, it's like going back to old school CM. Yeah, it's not as in depth but it's more fun - for me at least. Since the '06 version, they've improved tactics, transfers and features so the new one should hopefully be even better. If you already own a PSP, it's almost blasphemous not to own FMH!

SI, you owe me for that glowing recommendation :D

Yeah only recent got my PSP so thats the only reason I don't own it yet. Had considered picking up 08 but think I will give it a miss and just wait for this one..

FMH is not supposed to be like FM on the PC, although it often borrows concepts from its bigger brother, but as mentioned above it's designed to be a 'pick up and play' experience.

and this is what makes me love it - please don't turn FMH into a PSP-based monster ever!

Really excited to see FMH09 - can't wait to finally move countries to seek out new challenges!

and this is what makes me love it - please don't turn FMH into a PSP-based monster ever!

Really excited to see FMH09 - can't wait to finally move countries to seek out new challenges!

I think your right. Perhaps with the match engine, country hopping and the improved transfer system thats all it will need?

Can someone let me know about online features? some sort of challenges aren't they?

Bergkamp_10 - don't worry we won't ever add anything to FMH that'll stop the game from being easily accessible and quick to play. We regularly test the game to make sure that the speed of the game doesn't drop from version to version.

flameboy - you can play one off network games on the PSP. The challenges you mention are probably the ones being run by other forum users (and aren't connected to the network options in game).

Bergkamp_10 - don't worry we won't ever add anything to FMH that'll stop the game from being easily accessible and quick to play. We regularly test the game to make sure that the speed of the game doesn't drop from version to version.

flameboy - you can play one off network games on the PSP. The challenges you mention are probably the ones being run by other forum users (and aren't connected to the network options in game).

ah right cool cheers!

Archived