Things you didn't know you could do in FM

Someone suggested a thread like this in the MOTD thread so i thought i'd make it as it might reignite my interest in FM08 until FM09 is out.

Apparently

1. You can watch a highlights package of all the weekends action

2. When responding to press/managers there is a drop down that says type which will give you different responses

3. You can create a player search filter using an existing players attributes as a base

So post some FM08 features that others might not know about

i know this is a really little thing but only this morning, i realised when you look at coach reports, it isn't just the assmans report you can see, theres a drop down menu enabling you to look at all the coaches reports on this player too......not that they are even the slighest bit different.

yeah I knew about all 3 of those, i'll give a few you might not know about -

1. On April Fools Day, if you happen to pass April Fools in your game, you might get a message saying your club has won a substantial amount of money, when you click there is a response along the lines of 'You don't think we'd make it that easy for you did you?'

2. By pressing ALT and I believe it's F4, you can take a screenshot in-game, which will appear in your FM Folders under, Screenshots. Saves you having to manually do it through PS, and paint etc

yeah I knew about all 3 of those, i'll give a few you might not know about -

1. On April Fools Day, if you happen to pass April Fools in your game, you might get a message saying your club has won a substantial amount of money, when you click there is a response along the lines of 'You don't think we'd make it that easy for you did you?'

2. By pressing ALT and I believe it's F4, you can take a screenshot in-game, which will appear in your FM Folders under, Screenshots. Saves you having to manually do it through PS, and paint etc

I believe that the ALT - F4 combination not only takes a screenshot, but can in some cases turn your chairman into a sugar-daddy. This only usually occurs if the game hasn't been saved for over 2 hours IRL...

Alt+F9

i know this is a really little thing but only this morning, i realised when you look at coach reports, it isn't just the assmans report you can see, theres a drop down menu enabling you to look at all the coaches reports on this player too......not that they are even the slighest bit different.

Yeah that disappoints me cuz some coaches are better than others so they should give different view

3. You can create a player search filter using an existing players attributes as a base

I know that. What I don't know is how you can switch this bloody filter off again. I have changed the settings and get what I'm looking for but for 3 seasons now every search is displayed as filtered after that player :(

Alt+F9

Yeah that disappoints me cuz some coaches are better than others so they should give different view

Hmmm...Strange I find that I do get differing opinions dependent on the persons JCA JPA ability.

Low stats (10/11) - Over estimates ability

Medium Stats (16/17) - Under estimates ability

High Stats (19/20) - Spot on...I hope :p

I know that. What I don't know is how you can switch this bloody filter off again. I have changed the settings and get what I'm looking for but for 3 seasons now every search is displayed as filtered after that player :(

does the "clear filter" not do it?

When on the search player screen click FILTER, then click CLEAR FILTER.

That should sort you.

Someone suggested a thread like this in the MOTD thread so i thought i'd make it as it might reignite my interest in FM08 until FM09 is out.

Apparently

How do you that??

If it's your birthday in real life and in the game at the same time you get a happy birthday news item from SI :)

(Example: Let's say your birthday is christmas... and in real life it's Christmas day... you're playing FM when the in-game FM world rolls around to Christmas day... you get the news item). Providing of course you gave your manager the same birthday :)

Oh, and a big thank you for the "view highlights" poster. I didn't know that :D

• SI Staff
Alt+F9

If you look you'll find that they do sometimes differ - sometimes in the coach's judgements of players but also in them picking up nuances about the players themselves.

I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but at the end of a match if you click on the players name with a match rating over 9, there is a drop down item which enables you to ask him whether he would like to take a shower with you and rub shampoo into your naughty bits.

Can someone confirm if this is also in 09?

I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but at the end of a match if you click on the players name with a match rating over 9, there is a drop down item which enables you to ask him whether he would like to take a shower with you and rub shampoo into your naughty bits.

Can someone confirm if this is also in 07?

Yes, but it is only for regens due to legal issues. Not allowed for youth team players either.

#17 You can reprogram the keyboard shortcuts so that you can quickly page through your important pages with one hand.

*But, be warned that certain pages get 'stuck' and won't respond to the keyboard shortcuts unless you click in a certain field*

#18 You can view the news for any running league by selecting the league via the 'world' menu and checking 'news' on the left. Bookmark this page and then you can get to it fairly easily to follow other leagues.

#19 You can bulk scout a group of players you find in your shortlist or player search by selecting several and right-clicking on 'get scout report'.

#20 If you scout a player you are playing against and ask for a match report, the report will be on your desk at the end of the game!

GK's have both penalty taking and free-kick taking attributes that are not viewable on their profile screen.

To view the free-kick attribute, click on - player profile - training - attributes - and there it is.

To view the penalty taking attribute you must be in a match, (or at least at the tactics screen pre-match during the build-up). Click on tactics - views (up in the top left under submit team) - attributes - penalty taking. (You can also view his free-kick rating in the same way).

If it's your birthday in real life and in the game at the same time you get a happy birthday news item from SI :)

(Example: Let's say your birthday is christmas... and in real life it's Christmas day... you're playing FM when the in-game FM world rolls around to Christmas day... you get the news item). Providing of course you gave your manager the same birthday :)

Oh, and a big thank you for the "view highlights" poster. I didn't know that :D

I had posted about this exactly an year ago...when I got this in FM07 and again two days back I got the message for my birthdate on FM08...Made my day

Can someone confirm if this is also in 09?

Not funny, only post if you are contributing to a thread in a sensible manner please.

If you're having a bit of a hazzle by clubs charging annoying immense amounts for a player, because the club in mention doesn't want to sell, you can sometimes get a knock-down price (I call it a fair deal ^_^) by adding value in a form they really don't want.

ex. I tried to capture Alou Diarra from Girondins Bordeaux. The bastards wanted over 20mill.£ for him, which was more that I could afford and wanted to pay. My Ass Man noticed that they where searching for a right midfielder and a striker, so In addition to about 10mill£ cash I added two reserves in each positions, both in the value-region of 2-3mill£, added 50% of next sale clause, 1.2mill£ over 24 months and 2mill£ after 50 league appearances.

When they responded they must have liked the offer in total value, but not the different clauses connected to it. Instead of changing the offer to more cash on the spot, they simply removed the two strikers, the 50% of next sale and the 2mill£ after 50 league appearances, so the offer was 10mill£ cash and 1.2mill£ over 24 months... :D

I'm not sure how it would work on other transfers as I have only done it twice by accident. But my theory is simply what I explained before. They loved the offer in total value, but hated the additions to the offer. These two things must clash so that they accept the offer, but remove the things they don't like. Or maybe I was just lucky.

It should be noted that since Alou Diarra was 27 at the time, they did not want the 50% of next sale clause. This will probably NOT work with younger players, since there's a good chance they will be sold for larger value in the future. The guys you offer must probably also be players that they regard as valuable, but are not interested in... The "after 50 appearances"-clause should work in most cases (if it works after my theory) since it's a pretty bad deal.

Yet another note: If you want to be able to call yourself a "true manager" when you look at yourself in the mirror, you should think of this as an exploit/cheat. I'm not planning on using it... Well perhaps if a club is insanely unwilling to be reasonable. :D

I believe that the ALT - F4 combination not only takes a screenshot, but can in some cases turn your chairman into a sugar-daddy. This only usually occurs if the game hasn't been saved for over 2 hours IRL...

Nice try, that wont trick people as it asks if you want to save it when you press Alt + F4

Actually your Assistant Manager tends to underestimate players so you will see subtle differences in reports. I use coach reports instead of assitants when I'm looking at my team

Apparently

2. When responding to press/managers there is a drop down that says type which will give you different responses

I think someone needs to tell us FM players how you do all 3 of them.....just for those who dont know!

PLEEEAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!

I think someone needs to tell us FM players how you do all 3 of them.....just for those who dont know!

PLEEEAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!

1 and 2 are explained in this thread, if you read it all, i even posted a screenshot for no 2.

for 3: go onto the player you want to create a filter from. so if youre looking for similar attributes to john terry, go onto his profile, at bottom left where all the options are, ibelieve its on the "misc" one, and then "create search fliter from"

edit: like this

Not funny, only post if you are contributing to a thread in a sensible manner please.

Jesus Christ, are people not even allowed to make some light-hearted comments anymore? Bit pathetic to pick up on that but not on the people telling others to press alt f4

Archived