Going more attacking HAS NO EFFECT ON FM08

On one of the old Championship Managers you could go 'Gung-ho' and what it usually resulted in was chances for you and chances for the opposition. Sometimes you clawed your way back into the game and sometimes the opposition countered and finished you off. But at least you knew you had a chance, and, like real life, that gamble you take by throwing the kitchen sink at it could do nothing, it could lose you a goal or it could win you a goal.

On FM08, however, one of my biggest gripes is that there's no way of throwing the kitchen sink at it. I even have my doubts that throwing 8 men up front would see any activity. Sliding the attacking bar further towards full should, in theory, have the same effect as going Gung-ho did on CM but n actual fact it means for the remaining half an hour, 15 minutes, 5 minutes or whatever there will be no chances and the game will finish the same way it was when you went for it. Every time, without fail.

I know, I know, it's my tactics. But when I'm 1-0 down against bottom side Fisher at half time, you'd expect going very attacking would result in a chance for one of the teams, right? Nope. 45 minutes of bookings and injuries.

This needs to be sorted out on FM09, and I have every faith that it will be.

On one of the old Championship Managers you could go 'Gung-ho' and what it usually resulted in was chances for you and chances for the opposition. Sometimes you clawed your way back into the game and sometimes the opposition countered and finished you off. But at least you knew you had a chance, and, like real life, that gamble you take by throwing the kitchen sink at it could do nothing, it could lose you a goal or it could win you a goal.

On FM08, however, one of my biggest gripes is that there's no way of throwing the kitchen sink at it. I even have my doubts that throwing 8 men up front would see any activity. Sliding the attacking bar further towards full should, in theory, have the same effect as going Gung-ho did on CM but n actual fact it means for the remaining half an hour, 15 minutes, 5 minutes or whatever there will be no chances and the game will finish the same way it was when you went for it. Every time, without fail.

I know, I know, it's my tactics. But when I'm 1-0 down against bottom side Fisher at half time, you'd expect going very attacking would result in a chance for one of the teams, right? Nope. 45 minutes of bookings and injuries.

I think one of the things that FM08 had was the realism, you can't throw everyone forward and expect not to concede goals, its called a risk...but I understand what you mean though.

I usually put the slider bar to full and tweak the other resultant sliders re direct/long ball stuff. This has had an effect occassionally either prompting a draw/the winning goal or in the worst case been counter-attcked and conceding the losing goal..so it has worked for me..:-)

I think one of the things that FM08 had was the realism, you can't throw everyone forward and expect not to concede goals, its called a risk...but I understand what you mean though.

Also it now doesn't depend on just attcking to the full, other things are taken into account so its more thinking involved.

I'm not sure you see what he means.

He does not say he should always score, he just wants ANY action. Going more offensive should lead to an increased probability of goal scoring chances on either side. Yet, that does not happen in the game to the extent one could expect, as I agree.

Well sometimes even though you go all out if the opposition keep the ball and are contriolling the game it isn't always possible to get that head of steam up coupled with the other team wasting time - can all lead to frustrated attempted full out attacks.

:-)

The problem is usually positional. Watch your match on "Full Highlights" the next time you do this.

When I did, I was shocked - I had left my defensive line back and my passing on Direct, and what I saw happening was the opposition holding 8 men back behind my midfield line. When my guys got possession, they tried to send the ball Direct to my strikers - who, outnumbered eight to two, were unable to retain position. Also, we kept trying to send Through Balls into space - but the defensive outlook of the opposition denied us most of that space, so they were intercepted much more often.

The match engine wasn't showing me highlights because my tactic hadn't earned any.

I found that making a number of modifications helped:

- adjusting the "Forward Runs" and "Runs With Ball" for my outside players and even my central defenders.

- pushing the Defensive line forward

- dropping my Passing to Short

- dropping the Tempo

- adding some "Hold Up Ball" instructions so that we give players time to get forward

- reducing the number of "Through Ball" instructions

With those additions, and still watching the match on "Full", I started seeing much better build-up play, with most of my possessions ending up with the defense packed in the box, my guys passing around the perimeter and trying to break down their shape. Sometimes that resulted in a goal, sometimes a corner, sometimes a penalty or dangerous free kick ... and occasionally a turnover would see the opposition hit me on a quick counter.

Just like the old CM01/02.

Once I had that tactic, I saved it off as "4-4-2 Attacking", and now whenever I need it, I simply load it, in-match - its as easy as moving a slider.

So, if you're not getting Highlights or chances in the Text commentary .. please try watching the match in Full and adjusting your tactical approach before you blame the match engine!

Heres the Tip you should take advice from:

Yes all out attack does it! but you need to adjust others, the main one is speed! If you increase the speed(either full or 2 notches off full!) at which your team plays then your players will be more urgent and definately attack! Also closing down to full is also very helpful... then you can also go more direct with passing/go wider if you feel the need!!! takes practice but if you find the right routine you will find you attack more! may not possibly score but this will be because their keeper makes ridiculous saves!

THIS METHOD DEFINATELY WORKS!!!

Heres the Tip you should take advice from:

Yes all out attack does it! but you need to adjust others, the main one is speed! If you increase the speed(either full or 2 notches off full!) at which your team plays then your players will be more urgent and defo attack! also closing down to full is also very helpful... then u can also go more direct with passing/go wider if u feel the need!!! takes practice but if u find the right routine you will find u attack more! may not possibly score but this will be cos their keeper makes ridiculous saves!

THIS METHOD DEF WORKS!!!

Some good points plagued by txt speak - it is not allowed on these forums because there are many non-english speakers who use them. Whilst "Def" , "u" and "cos" may be obvious to you or me, imagine what a slovakian makes of them? It doesn't take that much effort to write "you" or "because" :)

Some good points plagued by txt speak - it is not allowed on these forums because there are many non-english speakers who use them. Whilst "Def" , "u" and "cos" may be obvious to you or me, imagine what a slovakian makes of them? It doesn't take that much effort to write "you" or "because" :)

OK sorry didnt realise, i am new to the forums although ive been playing for many years! I will edit :)

Yep me too I do a lot too and it works about 70% of the time in my case.

I do it as well. Especially when the AI switches to that bloody 424 formation. I hope this has been addressed in FM2009.

Works for me - not every time, but wouldn't want it to. You just have to make sure you leave some cover for your goalie in case they counter-attack, and make sure that individual player/team instructions suit the formation you're using.

I also remember a so called gung-ho tactic but it was on CM01/02, were you would put 5 midfielders and 5 attackers for the last 10 or 15 minutes if you were behind by a goal. It worked really well most of the time but if you do this on foot man, you get thrashed. LOL realistic i guess

I have used it and as long as you leave 4 people at the back in case of a quick break,it does work. I remember in one match I was 3-1 with 20 mins to go,throw on 2 more strikers,went all out attack and drew 3-3 against a 9 man defence. It just depends on who you are and who you are playing.

Archived