[official] FM2009 features announcement - other bits and bobs

• SI Staff

This is a thread to discuss the new features as announced for FM2009 - in this case, it's a few bits and bobs that don't fit in anywhere else!

Please note that you can watch the new features announcement over at www.youtube.co.uk/sigames - this is just some of the new features that are lined up for the game, with the others coming over the next few months via a series of blogs and the return of the Football Manager podcast.

Transfer Rumours – View the latest news on what players are being speculated on, and who’s said to be interested in securing their services.

Preferred Moves – Train your players to learn ‘preferred moves’ to add to their game. For example, train central defenders to not dive into tackles, or wingers to do stepovers before crossing the ball..

Female Manager – For the very first time you can now play as a female manager. All of the text in the game now also has a female gender so the game represents female managers and staff in the game in the correct gender.

Widescreen Support – As a result of usability testing on Football Manager 2008, this year sees widescreen support for the game for the first time, as well as lots of tweaks to the user interface for easier navigation.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Miles.

please, Please answer this Question:

Did SI team worked on solve regen problems for 2009!?

this is the only thing that is really important for me for new version, so please answer me.

They did, as mentioned by Riz and some other coders.

The PPM's feature is the best feature so far if I'm honest. Which isn't saying much. The Ass. Manager feature could be useful for newbies too. Yes the 3D engine sounds good but will definitely be buggy.

why will the engine be buggy? its the same engine as FML, which is not "buggy" at all.

anyway, back on topic, it has been said somewhere that tutoring is still in the game as well as the new method of learning PPMs - great news. developing youth is one of my favourite things to do on the game, and this should make it even better. the fact that regens have improved as well is again brilliant news, and helps with my developing youth policy. yay

transfer rumours are good, as long as i dont keep getting asked by the press each week about some random player i have no interest in a at all (as happened in 08)

Miles, you mention Widescreen support with which I'm elated.

Can I ask what resolution FM is either rended in or expected to support? A lot of screenshots look quite cluttered having come from a 15" display it seems, will the 3D work well with 22"-24" screens at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200?

Widescreen support is now available and that is a huge bonus for those of us that do need it. The new PPM module seems like it can have a huge effect on a player's performance and I am definately looking forward to it. Seems like PPM's are becoming more widely used in the match engine, which is good.

Can I ask, will transfer rumours be purely cosmetic (i.e something to chuckle at when a tabloid links you to some fella that you wouldn't touch with a barge pole?) Or will they be derived from the teams shortlists again? Will it link into fans? i.e fans saying they want player x or they don't want player y and affect confidence if a player they wanted gets snapped up, and vice versa if you come out in a press conference saying that you don't want him/want him.

Can I ask, will transfer rumours be purely cosmetic (i.e something to chuckle at when a tabloid links you to some fella that you wouldn't touch with a barge pole?) Or will they be derived from the teams shortlists again? Will it link into fans? i.e fans saying they want player x or they don't want player y and affect confidence if a player they wanted gets snapped up, and vice versa if you come out in a press conference saying that you don't want him/want him.

The video said it would be both real and fake rumours.

Hello Miles,

I would like to ask you one question:

are you going to renew tactical schemes, or this part of the game has been left without any changes and we will get old boring standard player's position?!

What new player positions do you want? Rush goalie? Right wing-back running to left wing? Oh, wait - you can already do those.

I'm actually quite happy to see the arrows going, but am wondering what will replace them. I really wish we could have wibble and wobble back, but apparently no...

Transfer rumors are are okay when applied in player's scouted and not in players inside my list , i don't want my fans rebel because i have a rival's left midfielder in my books, specially when i have never asigned a scout to watch him.

Teaching player's moves would be very good if we can also decide the position of the player while he is still young , i mean come on full backs with marking 8 can not "mark their man tightly" and midfielders with tackling 6 can not dive into tackles without killing someone.

It will take a lot of time to learn which type of player can utilise what move and i do love testing

Female managers - no problem

Wide screen ? i have no idea what this is and i always play my games windowed .

For me, "Tries Tricks" means the player is likely to try skilled moves such as stepovers, nutmegs, etc in order to get passed his marker. It also implies that there is a variety of tricks instead of just stepovers. At least that's how I look at it.

Transfer rumours would be good as it will give a holistic idea on what is going on in the game rather than you being in your world. That means it won't be a surprise when you see that Chelsea have splashed 100 million for Kaka after the transfer, because you didn't feel the need to scout Kaka or some useful player like say Joaquin is sold at 12 millions only during November and you were not in transfer groove and missed out on him.

It'll be funny when many clubs would have bidded for the same player and he is observed at airport of some other city, which would just break your heart or maybe forces you to make another bid and this time offer better teams to the player before he is done with his medical at Milan.

I'm annoyed about widescreen. Until now I've always had my FM quite neatly on the left of the screen, leaving me to watch shows in a window alongside - making use of my widescreen perfectly. Now I'm just going to be far too tempted to have the FM along the whole screen and won't get time to watch my shows! ;)

PS

Miles, you forgot the [Official] bit in the heading ;)

I'm annoyed about widescreen. Until now I've always had my FM quite neatly on the left of the screen, leaving me to watch shows in a window alongside - making use of my widescreen perfectly. Now I'm just going to be far too tempted to have the FM along the whole screen and won't get time to watch my shows! ;)

PS

Miles, you forgot the [Official] bit in the heading ;)

I have two monitors - a normal crt on the left for web browsing while playing, etc and a ws tft on the right for the game :).

This is a thread to discuss the new features as announced for FM2009 - in this case, it's a few bits and bobs that don't fit in anywhere else!

Please note that you can watch the new features announcement over at www.youtube.co.uk/sigames - this is just some of the new features that are lined up for the game, with the others coming over the next few months via a series of blogs and the return of the Football Manager podcast.

Transfer Rumours – View the latest news on what players are being speculated on, and who’s said to be interested in securing their services.

Preferred Moves – Train your players to learn ‘preferred moves’ to add to their game. For example, train central defenders to not dive into tackles, or wingers to do stepovers before crossing the ball..

Female Manager – For the very first time you can now play as a female manager. All of the text in the game now also has a female gender so the game represents female managers and staff in the game in the correct gender.

Widescreen Support – As a result of usability testing on Football Manager 2008, this year sees widescreen support for the game for the first time, as well as lots of tweaks to the user interface for easier navigation.

About player interaction with preffered moves... I wanted that more than 2 years. Finally, it will be done. :) But... I think it could be very useful to call player to improve his weaker foot ability and to have an option to TRY TO DELETE some of players preffered move. For example, there are some players, who plays very well with both feet, but they do have a preffered move "avoids using weaker foot" and so on. :( It would be simply great if these two things would be included there. ;)

Hello Miles,

I would like to ask you one question:

are you going to renew tactical schemes, or this part of the game has been left without any changes and we will get old boring standard player's position?!

I hadn't use FM default tactical schemes for more than two years! :p you are always invited to create your own tactics! :p

Will we get a detailed manual this year, that explain what each attributes are good for ? Everyone know what longshot and tackling does - but some attributes like teamwork, concentration and bravery etc is hard to figure out what it does in the match engine.

I hadn't use FM default tactical schemes for more than two years! :p you are always invited to create your own tactics! :p
What new player positions do you want? Rush goalie? Right wing-back running to left wing? Oh, wait - you can already do those.

I was talking about free option to choose the player position on the field without moving CF to the AM position if you want your forward to play from the deep, and moving your midfielders/defenders forward or to the side a bit.

Standard (with default positions) scheme

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=96857975ne3.jpg

Free (not default) scheme

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=24307048kc9.jpg

I was talking about free option to choose the player position on the field without moving CF to the AM position if you want your forward to play from the deep, and moving your midfielders/defenders forward or to the side a bit.

Now that would be lovely.... good question that man for I too should like to shape my nipular dots within their grassy confines.

Can't really see any need to ever look at the transfer rumours, especially if they may be reported as news items anyway.

Learning PPMs is a good idea, though. Be interested to see what limits are imposed on players, and whether the AI will make use of the feature.

Also be keen on using a proper resolution, hopefully 1920 x 1080 will be supported.

This is pretty much what the individual mentality sliders do, though...

This is pretty much what the individual mentality sliders do, though...

Actually mentality dealing with too much things like passing, closing down, attacking/defending, etc and position in some point, but i want to be able to move my player anywhere without any changes in his passing, at/def personal settings.

Also the default player's position depends on others players on the field, for an example:

when you are playing with LM-CM-RM, your wingers are more closer to the side line than in LM-CM-CM-RM formation;

and this (free) option would improve defending with CD-CD-CD, when you could make your defending line more wider instead of increasing their closing down and mentality to force them rushing on any opposite player with losing of position.

i would like players who are just in the club to able to become to good players ie then ones who are not good to become better ie you have a player who is not good and you train to be better at defense then he is or crossing or tackling, penalties and heading. its applies to all players.

also i like to have two years loans like liverpool of leto to olympicaos as leto did not get his work permit and that way liverpool would lose a player due to lack of work permit. i want this for new players and also players who i can put out to other clubs to get their work permit and that sort of option - ie if he has argentine passport and he needs eu and he is signed then put into a club to get eu passport then i can do that sort of thing on fm09. please put this sort of option in.

also i like to have two years loans like liverpool of leto to olympicaos as leto did not get his work permit and that way liverpool would lose a player due to lack of work permit. i want this for new players and also players who i can put out to other clubs to get their work permit and that sort of option - ie if he has argentine passport and he needs eu and he is signed then put into a club to get eu passport then i can do that sort of thing on fm09. please put this sort of option in.

This was introduced in, like, FM07(?) through using feeder clubs.

Couple of questions about the following screenshot:

http://www.sigames.com/graphics/images/1747.jpg

What exactly are trial days? I mean, I get the general idea but is there one for each division? Are they for up-and-coming players? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the threads, nor was it on the youtube vids, and it looks pretty interesting.

Also, one of the news posts in that screeny mentions "Price loan player report for midfielder (left) positions" - is this a scout reporting on the best option of left wingers available for loan? 'Cause that's a pretty nice touch, if so. If not, I have no idea what it could be :)

Does this also mean, you may have more of a chance of getting female physio now :D

They have female physios in game already. Check out Rebecca Brown at Reading. Saying that though, the in-game comments are all male orientated still

Archived