[official] FM2009 features announcement -Press Conferences

• SI Staff

This thread is to discuss the FM09 features annoucement regarding press conferences

Remember that if you want to see the video announcements, you can do so on www.youtube.co.uk/sigames - there will be more features, and an indepth look at some of the features, in the coming months.

Attend pre-match and post-match press conferences with local and national journalists and build up relationships with them over time, but choose your answers carefully because they could come back to haunt you in the media at a later date.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I presume the game can't actually understand what you type in the free text field?

What the betting some kind if message comes up if you type *ahem* certain *words*?

No, that would be incredibly complex. And this isnt meant to sound demeaning, but it would then be difficult for people with very bad spelling.

Maybe one day if SI can implement some sort of spell corrector though, but I think that thats all very unneccasary,.

This feature looks great and I can't wait for it but presuming some people won't have the time or the bother to go through press conferences, will there be an option that will have your ass man to answer the questions instead or just miss them out completely?

I'm going to try typing "certain words" when I storm out... and I don't mean something that this board would censor. Things like "I'm going to buy FIFA Manager next year" or "I might just go back to CM 01/02", because hopefully there will be witty responces in there ;).

Its good that we have more media interaction. The more the better.

However, my feeling about FM recently is that media interaction has had too much of an effect on the pitch.

I hope that isn't exacerbated by having the media element becoming more prominent in FM09.

I'm going to try typing "certain words" when I storm out... and I don't mean something that this board would censor. Things like "I'm going to buy FIFA Manager next year" or "I might just go back to CM 01/02", because hopefully there will be witty responces in there ;).

ahhh gmta!!

looking forward to this in the new game, hopefully it'll work well!

Yes one big question about this is the free text field... What does it do exactly?

Other than that, fantastic new feature, and one that I've been personally hoping for for ages :D

Pretty obvious if you ask me?

When you click storm out and type in a message like "I'm not talking to you lot anymore" it will be reported back as...

At the end of the conference Joe Blog stormed out saying "I'm not talking to you lot anymore"?!!!!!

Nice addition tho!

Not what I meant though... I know it does that from the screenshots, what I'm asking is if there is any feedback on the messages you write... Probably not, I reckon, but still a neat addition :D

Hey! Press conference after signing players is a must. Would be great if press ask questions to signed player and he gives some reply. Also it will be great if some player can also attend press conference before important matches. Like before UCL semis or key match between league leaders or relegation candidates. Choosing which player to represent will be important choice to make as temperamental players may say wrong things to press. Also, there can be jealousy among players if a new player or an inexperienced player is selected.

Also, the fight for UCL places and UEFA cup places can be highlighted by press. In real world, famous players keep on giving interviews left right and centre in which they speak about club form, their aims and aspirations, comment on transfer rumours or their views on manager. This can also be incorporated as this will give more personality to players. For eg. a player who is not being allowed to change clubs can abuse club and criticize manager which may lower the morale of certain other players. Maybe most of these things can't be encorporated in FM 2009, but, some such features humanising the players would be welcome.

I don't understand the text field, is it just for fun or will it be understood, if i storm out and say i hate alex ferguson would alex ferguson know i hate him for example. Or in the example "The way i run my club is my own buisness" Will people understand that? Surely not. But it does make the news articles seem more fun!

Could be a huge improvement if it doesn't get too repetitive :)

How many questions are there per press conference?

How long does it take about until you'll have your first question asked a second time in the game?

This is the biggie for me. Media interaction to date has been more a chore of trying to avoid the incorrect response. A time waster really. I really hope this turns the corner and it becomes fun.

can you turn them off? i can see myself getting bored of reading....clicking....reading....clicking.....reading.....clicking.....reading......clicking.....unless of course it is incredibly varied

You can of course add your own additional comments, so it wont just be a case of "reading.......clicking" as you put it.

You can of course add your own additional comments, so it wont just be a case of "reading.......clicking" as you put it.

great. i didn't know that. so i can type in what i want and the AI will understand it and what i type will have an effect on the game? thats well cool.

great stuff. however what if the question was "how do feel about todays defeat to Derby?" and i answered "There is a penguin on the roof of my house"- how would it comprehend that? Or does it only understand the action you give with the additional comment?

either way its a neat feature. 09 isn't a bad game after all, shame about the 3D:p

great. i didn't know that. so i can type in what i want and the AI will understand it and what i type will have an effect on the game? thats well cool.

What you type will be published in news item and will come to your inbox. But, it won't have any effect on the game. In other words, AI will not understand it, it will merely publish it.

Uhm, this game really needs less media interaction if anything, not more.

It's so annoying clicking "no comment" to 3 media questions every week..

You don't have to click it, it's the default option - just continue past the message and it will automatically go for the "No comment" option.

^ No, I don't mind, but it's constant, day in day out over things that should not even be raised, plus the questions are the same every day.

Well isn't that what managers get exposed to every day ^^ I think it's pretty realistic having to deal with the same questions every day.

The key is this is going to be two-fold: how repetitive the questions and tone of the conference will be and how well (and long) the media will remember your comments.

In terms of a career game, it might be a bit silly for me to keep being pulled up on something I said in a conference a decade ago when I was managing another club.

The key is this is going to be two-fold: how repetitive the questions and tone of the conference will be and how well (and long) the media will remember your comments.

In terms of a career game, it might be a bit silly for me to keep being pulled up on something I said in a conference a decade ago when I was managing another club.

you make a good point. can SI give us an example of when previous comments "come back to haunt us"? just how soon/distant is this to the original conference?

The key is this is going to be two-fold: how repetitive the questions and tone of the conference will be and how well (and long) the media will remember your comments. In terms of a career game, it might be a bit silly for me to keep being pulled up on something I said in a conference a decade ago when I was managing another club.

Very good point, DaveRH. If answers never 'expired', it would be as nagging as that "X Player has returned to play against his old team" like 20 games and 10 years after he played for your club.

What you type will be published in news item and will come to your inbox. But, it won't have any effect on the game. In other words, AI will not understand it, it will merely publish it.
And how exactley do you know that for certain? :confused: :rolleyes:

How likely do you think it would be that AI understands even hal of it if I type: "I'm always looking forward to beating the sheepsha**ers!"?

Mind if AI did understand it, I'd be very popular with the Forest supporters :D

This is one feature I'm a bit apprehensive about. I didn't like the media interaction or player interaction in FM08. I found it repetitive and shallow and ultimately pointless. I do hope that it isn't the same with this new conference feature. Answering the same tedious questions before and after every game WILL become a huge pain in the arse

Archived