Things that have come and gone in FM/CM history.

I only started playing the game a couple of seasons before the FM switch. Is there many faetures that have been in the game in the past that are not there now? I heard that audio commentary was once in the game, only it didn't really work, I can imagine why. Unless the features are terrible, surely its better to add every year and build on what you alredy have?

Any ideas?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Audio Commentary? I've never seen that before.

Cheats, if you can call it a feature. Like the ARSE thing, that's gone. Also, i forget which version, but if you used Bobby Robson (I think) as your name, there would be a leg break in the opposition team every game. I think. It was a pretty old version of CM i believe. Something along those lines any way. I'm sure someone will correct me.

There was indeed audio commentary at one time. That's going back to before the FM series, though.

I remember when you couldn't manage a nation from the start unless you used some cheat whereby you had to call yourself the name of the current manager of that nation.

There were the wibble-wobble screens that some people want back in the game. thes let you set exactly where you want a player to be when the team has the ball and when they don't. SI took it out as it was unrealistic to go in that much detail.

Thats not a bad idea though is it?

I got it in my bed room somewere:thup:

when agents use to offer you players was good

giggs always used to run the ball out for some reason

Classic :D

Yeah the agents, "you have been approached by an agent offering you a rare exotic talent" or something like that

I remember in '93, there was neither finishing nor shooting but only something like "goalscoring efficiency". Though I think this bit was a little off topic.

On topic: In former versions, it was possible to buy "buying rights" of a player. It was like gaining rigths to a preset price and a first buy option after a certain date in exchange of money.

Last thing: I really really miss wibble wobble

Last last thing: I do not remember if fact or superstition, but the GK attribute "one on ones" also applied for outfield players. I remember buying strikers with high "one on ones" (I had to use the GK attributes view in the player search screen because it was impossible to see otherwise for outfield players) in 03/04. I also remember doing this secretly so that my friends in our LAN game would not discover this and only I bought strikers with perfect finishing in "one on one" positions. My favorite player was an obscure 33 year old Italian serie c striker called Mirko Gubellini. His other stats were awful but scored a hell lot of goals for my champion side.

The 'wibble wobble' was just a bit silly in my opinion. IRL you can't say to your players "this is how I want you to line up when the ball is in this particular 1/9th of the pitch" because it depends entirely on whether your team has just lost posession, is dealing with a long-ball, and most importantly, what the opposition team are doing!

On topic, on the original CM IIRC - you went into a live auction with a number of other teams when you wanted to bid for a player. Then whichever teams stumped up enough cash went on to another auction for the player wages - whoever won the wage-auction got the player. It was a very long time ago, so my memory may not be entirely accurate, but I remember it being quite exciting.

Audio Commentary? I've never seen that before.

Cheats, if you can call it a feature. Like the ARSE thing, that's gone. Also, i forget which version, but if you used Bobby Robson (I think) as your name, there would be a leg break in the opposition team every game. I think. It was a pretty old version of CM i believe. Something along those lines any way. I'm sure someone will correct me.

It's usually quite hard to see audio commentary :D

things i remember from older versions that arent around anymore-

1. manager personalities. when sorting out your name, age, etc at the beginning you could choose a personality for yourself. ranging from 'withdrawn' to 'confident'. the players also had a personality and if yours didnt match with the players they disliked you.

2. killer tactics. you could play virtually 5 strikers upfront and choose the 'long ball' tactic and youd end up thrashing teams 6-1 or 7-2. a personal favourite of mine.

3. no players would turn you down if you were a small club. if you had the money to buy them and could afford their wage demands theyd come.

4. i think somebody else has mentioned it but leg breaks. when a player had done it hed be out for 6 months and would never play as well again when he returned from injury. gutting really.

5. the player descriptions in the manual. the first italian league version came out seperately in the early ninetys and it had a very comprehensive player description section in the manual covering a large number of players in seria b to help you manage in the lower league. it was great.

I used to love the Audio Commentary. Each game used to take forever, but me an my Dad would busy ourselves DIY'ing or something while it went on. That was CM2

There used to be cheat whereby if you offered enough money for a player that the bid was accepted immediately (without having to wait at all, which come to think of it is another feature no longer present!) you could go back and adjust it to £0 and you would get the player for free. That was CM2 as well.

In the CMI you used to go a live wage auction and you had 3 attempts to get the best offer.

Original "Diablo's" were 4-2-4 and 4-1-2-1-2.

Oh i heard a rumor that the Collyer's were inspired to create the game partially by a PBM called Necom Games League Soccer that they played. I also used to play this game in the late 80's early 90's and returned for nostalgic purposes in 2005. Have always wondered if this was true????

The with/without the ball tactics screen is by far and away the thing I miss most from previous editions of FM (well, CM but you know what I mean!).

It gave your tactics that extra dimension. Currently your tactics are limited to a rigid 4-4-2 or whichever tactic you use without a real ability to adapt instantly to when your team loses the ball.

By using the with/without ball screen you are able to position your players to adapt to the conditions, i.e. when your defending in your own half, one of your strikers is able to drop back to form a 5 man midfield, but when you get the ball back an additional midfielder is able to work as an extra striker etc. These types of instances I feel will be worked on on training grounds on a daily basis and think it would be great to see this aspect of the tactics returning if not now then for FM2010.

If not, I'll just have to keep dreaming of my true tactic tinkering days!

The 'wibble wobble' was just a bit silly in my opinion. IRL you can't say to your players "this is how I want you to line up when the ball is in this particular 1/9th of the pitch" because it depends entirely on whether your team has just lost posession, is dealing with a long-ball, and most importantly, what the opposition team are doing!

On topic, on the original CM IIRC - you went into a live auction with a number of other teams when you wanted to bid for a player. Then whichever teams stumped up enough cash went on to another auction for the player wages - whoever won the wage-auction got the player. It was a very long time ago, so my memory may not be entirely accurate, but I remember it being quite exciting.

Auction - if you outbid by £1 on the third and last bid you would win

Also, to prevent piracy you had to enter a code on the start up screen which was found in the instructions. From memory every page in the instructions had 5 results (2-1, 1-1 etc) and it would say Pg12 Result 3 - you then had to enter a score

Might have been repeated with attendances in a later edition

there used to be a pull-out which stated the rules of each leauge (subs, foreign players etc) i used to have pinned to the wall behind my computer for constant reference.

it was that sheet that made me play my first game outside of England! (I went to Brazil to try their leagues)

oh, and the asterix next to the 3 best players in a squad. helped me decide who to try and steal!

I miss this feature, because while not necessarily the best 3 players, it did signify the 3 key players in that team. It also applied for International teams, which was great when you took over some random country, because you had an idea of who were the key players.

Very handy for when you start as a manager or if you're looking to poach some targets.

They need to bring back the complain about a ref option. It never usualy worked but when it did it was pretty damn funny.

I believe this was taken out at request of the Referees Association. Miles has talked about this, i think this time last year when discussing FM2008 features.

I miss this feature, because while not necessarily the best 3 players, it did signify the 3 key players in that team. It also applied for International teams, which was great when you took over some random country, because you had an idea of who were the key players.

Very handy for when you start as a manager or if you're looking to poach some targets.

I remember this, it was extrememly useful and i'd like to see it back. Also, i liked when the Chairman would tell you that he'd like a big name signing to instill some excitement around the club. I think that was FM07?

oh, and the asterix next to the 3 best players in a squad. helped me decide who to try and steal!

That really takes me back! - It told you your "best" three players when you took over a new team too - guess this was the precurser to the ass man team report.

Also, i liked when the Chairman would tell you that he'd like a big name signing to instill some excitement around the club. I think that was FM07?

That's still there, I tried starting at Chelsea on a save and Abram signed 2 players because I hadn't spent the budget or brought anyone in that was a big enough name. That was the end of that save.

Archived