Will core game still be broken????

pina

every year in FM the core game is still broken.

1) AI - it is always too easy to win, to easy to beat. the AI is a "zombie AI" it is not active and pretty much dead.

2) Game is too easy no matter what - Almost any decent club can sign 50 free transfer players who are very good or sign 50 talented Argentinian players from the reserves of boca juniors/river plate and pretty much win everything after a year or two. This is not even funny anymore. it basically means that I can take a club like motherwell from Scotland and make them into champion league semi finalists within two years.

3) Eastern Europe and South America are totally ignored and broken. Brazilian clubs in the game have 15 million to spend on transfers, which makes them very boring and very easy to play IRL they struggle to make transfers worth 2 million. Eastern European clubs (Russia, Ukraine) are made to look like 3rd world Afghanistan clubs.

4) Regens. Game is pointless after 4 seasons. because the older players retire and the newly generated players are not realistic.

I know SI have a game to sell to the public, and therefore many new features need to be announced. but I hope at least this year they will at least try and fix the core game. Because as it is it has been 4 versions since Championship manager 4 and no "real" progress has been made.

4) Regens. Game is pointless after 4 seasons. because the older players retire and the newly generated players are not realistic.

They have said thats been looked at. But they say that every year. I for one hope it as been fixed.

The game is not too easy. I would think the majority that play (wihtout the use of genie or fmm) disagree with you.

Regens aren't great but the don't break the game (not IMO, anyway). Good news is that they have been worked on.

1) AI - it is always too easy to win, to easy to beat. the AI is a "zombie AI" it is not active and pretty much dead.

2) Game is too easy no matter what - Almost any decent club can sign 50 free transfer players who are very good or sign 50 talented Argentinian players from the reserves of boca juniors/river plate and pretty much win everything after a year or two. This is not even funny anymore. it basically means that I can take a club like motherwell from Scotland and make them into champion league semi finalists within two years.

Absolute rubbish.

In numerous previous versions I've taken a newly promoted team from the Third Division/Conference/Conference North & South (appropriate as per version) to the Premier League and won a cup or two with them. On 08 I barely survived in League One with Bromsgrove Rovers before leaving them half way through the following season when it was obvious taking them any further would be near impossible (I was proved right as a few years on they are mid table in League Two).

The difficulty level in 08 is spot on. With good management you can progress, but the game isn't simple/easy enough to advance far and quickly despite playing the game in the correct manner (ie not using cheat methods like scouting tools and AI cracking tactics).

Are you suggesting you want the game to be 100% real life? So you start off at a club in say league spend 20 seasons without actually having anything happen? Maybe a season when you make the playoffs here and there but overall the game should be exactly like real life so progression is that slow?

08 was certainly a step up in difficulty. IMHO, that made it somewhat less enjoyable - I loved the rags-to-riches tales of previous versions, but it was just too frustrating in 08. That really turned me off the series (one of several factors, admittedly).

The core of the 2D is still broken but they've gone to 3D.

New features = sales. They have to keep it looking fresh.

the 2d match engine is exactly the same (has even been improved on) as the 3d engine but the figures are represented in 3d models

The game is not too easy at all. Sure if you play as a big club with a massive transfer budget then yeah it can be quite easy, but that's realistic. If you think the game is too easy maybe you should try out LLM and see how long you last as a relegation threatened Conference side. Don't think you will be saying it's too easy then when you only have a £5,000 transfer budget and even your best players are all part-timers.

The game is not too easy at all. Sure if you play as a big club with a massive transfer budget then yeah it can be quite easy, but that's realistic. If you think the game is too easy maybe you should try out LLM and see how long you last as a relegation threatened Conference side. Don't think you will be saying it's too easy then when you only have a £5,000 transfer budget and even your best players are all part-timers.

That's still pretty easy in any version until 08, as long as you are reasonably clever with your transfers.

Hmm I have to agree with that being easy part. It's slightly to easy... Of course it shouldn't be realistic to the bone, but by now I can take pretty much any premier division side and win the title. But I think that's also connected to the transfer system in 08. After a while you get to know all the good players, both expensive and cheap and you can quickly create a world beater team out of clubs like Wigan and Birmingham. (However the level of diff. is pretty good for taking on the challenge of 2. and 3. division sides)

So yeah I hope FM09 will offer a little more challenge. My most recent game I play as Aston Villa and I won the Premier League the first season. I'm half-way trough second season and are numero uno yet again.... Maybe I've just played to much, who knows.

About the brazilian clubs. I'm not sure how their financial works in practice, but aren't their major intake of players based on the high standard of young super talent? I don't think they get their fair share of money regarding these players... However I'm not sure. I just see it time and time again that some major young player gets shipped of to Europe for a few million.

Wow wish i was as good at the game that I could state the things the OP did, ok you can buy certain signings "bargains" that help out but argentine reserves who in england is goign to give WP for that! and in Italy!!

The game is not easy it offers the braodest range of challenges of any game ever, no easy medium hard for this baby.

Brazilian clubs do have lots of money at the top end its just players dont move from outside outh america to inside it very often there have been some big ish transfers within South America.

As per regens its a level playing field for every club human or computer so if they all stink you can still stink less and win :)

And yes MOANER the OP was worse than you :)

Hmm I have to agree with that being easy part. It's slightly to easy... Of course it shouldn't be realistic to the bone, but by now I can take pretty much any premier division side and win the title. But I think that's also connected to the transfer system in 08. After a while you get to know all the good players, both expensive and cheap and you can quickly create a world beater team out of clubs like Wigan and Birmingham. (However the level of diff. is pretty good for taking on the challenge of 2. and 3. division sides)

I expect any present real life Premiership Manager could also win if they time travel into the future to see which players would be future successes. Play one life time game, & you wouldn't have that advantage of knowing future stars, or perhaps that is a bit difficult for you. I am always amazed by all these people who complain of things being easy, then find they play all the time using cheats, or playing advantages that A1 doesn't have to play said game.

I expect any present real life Premiership Manager could also win if they time travel into the future to see which players would be future successes. Play one life time game, & you wouldn't have that advantage of knowing future stars, or perhaps that is a bit difficult for you. I am always amazed by all these people who complain of things being easy, then find they play all the time using cheats, or playing advantages that A1 doesn't have to play said game.

Agreed 100% the game is, of course, easy if you play as say..Liverpool for 4-5 years. Then start a new save with the knowledge of who will become some of the best players in the world.

Try playing with LLM rules. Not allowed to sign anyone who you have previously signed in a previous game. Or anyone you know becomes a good player due to previous saves. THAT is realism if you want it.

I always think that everyone should play the game how they want to. If you come on here moaning about the difficulty of the game though, I will tell you flat out that you need to play it more realistically then. No checking of the good player board, no genie scout, fmm etc. no buying previous players from other saves, no buying players that you KNOW become good players. None of those things are realistic and if you really crave what it is you ask for then these are the things you need to do. Play it as realistic and difficult as you can.

I think the game's difficulty at the start of a new carreer is fine...

But as you progress through the years, the AI managers just make shitty transfers... waste a lot of money... can't maintain morale or adapt to injuries as well as the human... and this just makes it easier for us.

I don't care if the AI have to cheat in terms of managing their finances or something, but I'd just like to see consistent difficulty 20 years or whatever into the game.

read the stickies at the top they say that the match engine has been developed through the FM live so it must have been tweaked/altered/radically changed/recoded!!!

So who knows; I await the demo with anticipation and excitement.

:-)

Are you suggesting you want the game to be 100% real life? So you start off at a club in say league spend 20 seasons without actually having anything happen? Maybe a season when you make the playoffs here and there but overall the game should be exactly like real life so progression is that slow?

Now let's see how my current save has progressed...

Bromsgrove Rovers (Conference South to League One - ten and a half seasons)

Cardiff City (League One to Championship - one and a half season)

Bolton Wanderers (two seasons in Premier League but refused to sign a new contract after my chairman had sold four of my first teamers over my head)

Doncaster Rovers (League One)

I'm in my 15th season.

What was the point you were trying to make?

Like I said, I think the 08 version has the difficulty level nailed, if you play the game properly.

Eastern European clubs (Russia, Ukraine) are made to look like 3rd world Afghanistan clubs.

how is that so? Those leagues are really on the lower level then ENGLISH, ITALIAN, GERMAN, SPANISH and few other ones so why should they look like ENGLISH league? most of the time only the 1st leagues matter in those countries anyway...

In russia and ukraine the teams have much much more money than they do on FM so far - shakhtar was the only one with enough. To give an illustration, there was a £24m transfer between two russian clubs this summer.

Also, Zenit St Petersburg just beat Man Utd pretty resoundingly, so not such a lower level really.

The core of the 2D is still broken but they've gone to 3D.

New features = sales. They have to keep it looking fresh.

Wrong. Having been part of the FML beta testers that have been ripping it apart for the last year and a bit, its been massively improved.

Like I said, I think the 08 version has the difficulty level nailed, if you play the game properly.

Spot on, I don't find the game is too easy and IMO the people who do find it too easy are usually playing as a top club or using FMM/Genie Scout. It took me 14 years to finally win the CL and that was with a super rich Bayern Munich team :D On previous versions it would only have taken 2-3 seasons.

We have to be realistic when playing the game as well and can't expect the game to do everything for us, so if it's 2014 and after 4 consectuive titles and you're in the CL final with Wolves, it's more than likely down to your tactic being too good and I don't know how on earth SI are supposed to set the game to cope with that. Change your tactic and make it more realistic.

Another post designed purely to elicit a response. And I'm guilty of doing so.

1. If it was too easy you wouldn't have seen ten posts a day bitching about the game being too hard.

2. You only sign the best youth players if you scan the good player forum on this (or similar) site, or cheat with a 3rd party programme.

3. Can't comment about those leagues; never played them.

4. Regens aren't a problem until you get 30-40 years in. I've recently gone back to a save from 2020 and am struggling to win games with Chelski such is the quality of regens in the Prem. Luckily I have a £132million transfer budget so will probably be spending big in January. They've been improved for FM09 according to SI, so we can reserve judgement until then.

I hope FM09 is similar to FM08 in principal, just do away with the well-documented annoyances, ensure the new little features work ... and of course get the BIG features like match graphics right.

Totally disagree with points 1 and 2 of the original post (which basically seem to be the same point made twice anyway). The game is not too easy, but any game is easy if you "cheat" your way to victory or are willing to find any way of exploiting AI flaws. AI in any game is always going to have flaws and predictable elements - you need a brain to be able to always have infinite variety.

Point 3 is probably partly true, although I've heard of transfers way more than £3 million taking place between Brazilian clubs.

Point 4 is true for FM08, although not as early as 4 years, but is not true of every version and regens are very difficult to balance. Obviously personally I'd rather the lack of balance be in the direction of too many good regens than too few because at least that retains the enjoyment.

Right. I've been staying away from GQ lately, as frankly I'm finding it quite boring these days.

That being said I can resist ripping this rubbish to pieces:

Rubbish. The AI in FM is pretty decent compared to other manager games, but it can of course be improved. To say the game is too easy, however, is just pish

Rubbish. The game is not 'too easy no matter what' as you put it. If you're bored with the difficulty then take over a team in one of the basement leagues (one of the poorer teams in that league if you can handle it) set your reputation to automatic, stay away from 3rd party programmes and downloaded tactics and then see how easy it is to make a team that can win everything in a couple of seasons. The game is simply as difficult as you make it. If you know there are loads of talented youngsters in a certain under 21 team and then you decide to buy them in every save that you start then you've got no-one to blame but yourself.

There are issues with AI managers not being very sensible in the transfer market but this really doesn't affect the game for the first 10 seasons or so.

3) Eastern Europe and South America are totally ignored and broken. Brazilian clubs in the game have 15 million to spend on transfers, which makes them very boring and very easy to play IRL they struggle to make transfers worth 2 million. Eastern European clubs (Russia, Ukraine) are made to look like 3rd world Afghanistan clubs.

This may be true, I've not played in any of the leagues mentioned so wouldn't like to comment.

4 Seasons?!? You're having a laugh aren't you? Yes, there are issues with regens. But it really only affects those people playing long term games. I'm in 2031 with my Gateshead team and there are loads of brilliant regens. There are plenty of known issues with them that I won't go into now, but saying they make the game unplayable after 4 seasons is laughable.

I know SI have a game to sell to the public, and therefore many new features need to be announced. but I hope at least this year they will at least try and fix the core game. Because as it is it has been 4 versions since Championship manager 4 and no "real" progress has been made.

No real progress made? Again are you having a laugh? Please, load up FM05 and play it. Now tell me there's no progress being made. A lot of new features have been introduced to the point where the game is completely different to CM4 imo (and a hell of a lot better). Some features need tweaking and improving, no-one can deny that, but to say that no progress has been made is again laughable.

Your arguments are ridiculous. To be honest I can't wait for '09. If they've improved even half the ares they claim to have I'll be a very happy man as the things they've improved seem to be all of the main things I wanted to see. And at least half of the new features and improvements are things that people on these boards have asked for.

completely agree. Same with Wales. Some PT clubs, some FT - Chairmen have no concept of budgetting or sticking to wage budget. Clubs end up in debt in 1 year and there is no way of getting out of it.

its been like this for years and nothing has been improved.

Right. I've been staying away from GQ lately, as frankly I'm finding it quite boring these days.

That being said I can resist ripping this rubbish to pieces:

Rubbish. The AI in FM is pretty decent compared to other manager games, but it can of course be improved. To say the game is too easy, however, is just pish

Rubbish. The game is not 'too easy no matter what' as you put it. If you're bored with the difficulty then take over a team in one of the basement leagues (one of the poorer teams in that league if you can handle it) set your reputation to automatic, stay away from 3rd party programmes and downloaded tactics and then see how easy it is to make a team that can win everything in a couple of seasons. The game is simply as difficult as you make it. If you know there are loads of talented youngsters in a certain under 21 team and then you decide to buy them in every save that you start then you've got no-one to blame but yourself.

There are issues with AI managers not being very sensible in the transfer market but this really doesn't affect the game for the first 10 seasons or so.

This may be true, I've not played in any of the leagues mentioned so wouldn't like to comment.

4 Seasons?!? You're having a laugh aren't you? Yes, there are issues with regens. But it really only affects those people playing long term games. I'm in 2031 with my Gateshead team and there are loads of brilliant regens. There are plenty of known issues with them that I won't go into now, but saying they make the game unplayable after 4 seasons is laughable.

No real progress made? Again are you having a laugh? Please, load up FM05 and play it. Now tell me there's no progress being made. A lot of new features have been introduced to the point where the game is completely different to CM4 imo (and a hell of a lot better). Some features need tweaking and improving, no-one can deny that, but to say that no progress has been made is again laughable.

Your arguments are ridiculous. To be honest I can't wait for '09. If they've improved even half the ares they claim to have I'll be a very happy man as the things they've improved seem to be all of the main things I wanted to see. And at least half of the new features and improvements are things that people on these boards have asked for.

Nicely put :D

Archived