Remember When?

I assume quite a few FM gamers remeber the cross over from text commentary to 2-D matches. My point being we have no come to a point (I think we all knew it would come oneday) where the cross over to 3-D has started.

When 2-D came out, I remember people saying how they would refuse to play and will forever and always use text. However once you got playing the game and used to the layout, it became fun. Year on year since the 2-D match engine has gotten better and better.

My point being that 3-D will not ruin this game. I am sceptical as to whether it will work this year, but the option is there to turn it off. One thing I do know is that even if it doen't work quite the way people want it to, eventually it will get put right. You never know it might even suprise even the most anti 3-D people.

Its also been 3 years in the making. I think anything that has had so much thought and effort put into it would not be put out if it was not right, at the end of the day what would one more seasons difference make. Therefore SI, must feel it is ready to be implemented and lets face it, they get it right more often then they get it wrong.

When the demo is ready, download it, try it, like it or hate, turn off 3-D if you hate it, try it again, still hate it? Don't buy it when it comes out. It is that simple. Until then there is no argument to have with regards to 3-D. It is going to happen and there is nothing anybody can do to change it.

By the way thanks SI for the press confrences. That new little feature has got me the most exited. :)

Agree

2d took the game to another level and while it was strange at first to get used it to, soon it became something you could not do without and i guess that 3d will be the same, it will seem funny at first and then it will become second nature and something you wondered how you would do without it.

Just hope i havent got to spend £600 on a new laptop for it to work correctly.

I assume quite a few FM gamers remeber the cross over from text commentary to 2-D matches. My point being we have no come to a point (I think we all knew it would come oneday) where the cross over to 3-D has started.

When 2-D came out, I remember people saying how they would refuse to play and will forever and always use text. However once you got playing the game and used to the layout, it became fun. Year on year since the 2-D match engine has gotten better and better.

My point being that 3-D will not ruin this game. I am sceptical as to whether it will work this year, but the option is there to turn it off. One thing I do know is that even if it doen't work quite the way people want it to, eventually it will get put right. You never know it might even suprise even the most anti 3-D people.

Its also been 3 years in the making. I think anything that has had so much thought and effort put into it would not be put out if it was not right, at the end of the day what would one more seasons difference make. Therefore SI, must feel it is ready to be implemented and lets face it, they get it right more often then they get it wrong.

When the demo is ready, download it, try it, like it or hate, turn off 3-D if you hate it, try it again, still hate it? Don't buy it when it comes out. It is that simple. Until then there is no argument to have with regards to 3-D. It is going to happen and there is nothing anybody can do to change it.

By the way thanks SI for the press confrences. That new little feature has got me the most exited. :)

I remember when the change to 2D happened, I was one of those that was set against it. Or so I was reminded by a mate earlier! Now I can't play the game without it and it's improved each year and I'm sure that's what will happen with the 3D engine.

It's just going to take us all a little while to get used to.

Agree

2d took the game to another level and while it was strange at first to get used it to, soon it became something you could not do without and i guess that 3d will be the same, it will seem funny at first and then it will become second nature and something you wondered how you would do without it.

With the Money you are on @ Radio 1 Chappers, you've got no worries. Should'nt you be in bed by now too? you have to get up early at the moment don't you? :) :)

I am actually looking forward to my new Desktop getting a good workout and seeing some of that £1200 I paid for put to some serious usage.

Why on Earth did you pay that money for a desktop? Is it a used one from NASA?

This has always baffled me, and I'm not some fifa manager type, how the hell did you play the game without at least a 2d match engine? How did you know what the hell was going on?

The commentary told you so. I can understand it's hard to imagine not even having 2D but if you played from the early days - you would still have been addicted :)

The commentary told you so. I can understand it's hard to imagine not even having 2D but if you played from the early days - you would still have been addicted :)

Nah. Although I was always aawre that Fm was by far the most realistic and detailed game, the fact that all you had was commentary stopped me from buying it until 2d was introduced.

Jesus its not even a big thing, wow they're making the game better by adding a 3D match engine, why is it such a big deal.

Well, you're sort of right, it depends how how well it works.

Although it is a big deal because, in theory, it will show you whats happening in mote detail, give you more feedback as to what your players are doing and, as a bonus, it will look more attractive. Whats the point of everything without a decent representaion of the match?

Why on Earth did you pay that money for a desktop? Is it a used one from NASA?

No, unfortunatly its not from NASA. I paid the money so that I would have a high quality computer for the next 5 years. I realise that at the moment my computer doesn't get a good run out very often, but as games and various other softwares improve, my computer will be able to cope with all the changes quite easily. Hey if SI want to have a database with a million players and staff, then bring it on. Its also good for all the on-line gaming I do as well.

I am actually looking forward to my new Desktop getting a good workout and seeing some of that £1200 I paid for put to some serious usage.

I think I'm really addicted now...When i saw that £1200, I thought 'only £1200? psh-tosh'

By the way, the change from text > 2D was far bigger than the current change. This new change is simply to the way the match is represented (3D/isometric view instead of 2D), that is, a simple viewer change, while the change from text to 2D meant a whole engine change.

Agree

I've got £700 saved up for a new desktop, but I've decided to go balls out and get a mega system (mainly as I'm learning C++ at the moment and I want a reliable machine and one which will last me 5-8 years). Hopefully by Novenmber I will have saved the £1300-1500 required. My 2.1Ghz, 1gig RAM PC just can't handle FM anymore!

to be honest i'm still using text lol, i can't stand the dots they're insufferable, but i am looking forward to 3D even though the graphics suck... im glad the graphics suck too because i dont wanna update my PC just to play FM :)

• SI Staff
This has always baffled me, and I'm not some fifa manager type, how the hell did you play the game without at least a 2d match engine? How did you know what the hell was going on?

Imagination!

The beauty of text only was that your brain filled in the blanks. When you had the text saying,

"Dyer crosses..."

"Ferdinand misses his header..."

"Shearer, surely..."

"MISS!"

"He really should have hit the back of the net there."

"He hangs his head in shame."

you really saw it, because you'd watched it on Match of the Day or whatever. You could "see" his awful header, his embarrassment. The defender's relief. The whole need to stimulate your own images is probably what gave us the solid connection to the game, how it was so easy to immerse yourself in it.

To a certain extent, the 2D graphics did away with that, but after a time I picked back up on the imagining of players and their reactions. A miss is a miss after all, and a hattrick smile is a hattrick smile. Took me a couple of versions to really feel as involved as I did with text only.

The 3D shots I've seen don't seem to have any more detail than 2D. Instead of blobs it's just generic little men. Can't see this being particularly revolutionary, but I don't see it harming the game. After all, if it works well, why not spread a little bit of prettiness over a game that is already hugely popular.

Roll on November.

Text to 2D, now 2D to 3D. Another watershed moment in the life of CM\FM. Its like watching your child grow up,I think i'm going to cry now....

Next stop holographics and you sitting on a bench? ;)

Archived