3D Match Engine

What do you think of the 3D match engine  

742 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the 3D match engine

• Love/like it
    • Dont care
    • Reserve Judgement
    • Hate it, SI has ruined FM & sold out

First off all well done on keeping the three years development a secret and it looks rarther impressive on the videos shown, so a big well done to you guys on that.

However, I wonder if the 3d engine will show two things: 1) Pitch Detoration and 2) Weather effects and finally 3) Will some pitches show snow on the pitch.

Just little things like that, that make the whole thing more real and immersive.

Also will the stadiums on the outside of the pitch be different if your playing in lower divisions, will we see any referees? linesmen? subs bench?

Now with a 3d match engine imagine future versions with players walking out the tunnel, lining up for photos or national anthem, tv crew, balloons, crowd invasions etc.

I wasnt being sarcastic! I would like to know what you asked aswell.

I'm wondering if we will see weather effects in the game such as rain, snow etc. I'm also interested in how the pitch looks for different clubs and at different parts of the year.

You know perfectly well what I was asking!

I'm also a little concerned about the match engine. Although it looks very nice, even from the 50% build version Miles was showing I can't help but be a little worried that over time seeing the same old animations crop up in certain situations may reduce the immersion factor.

However, if they manage to go with an engine that is very organic, as per Pro Evo, where there seems to be a different animation and situation crop up every game then this may, just may, be something of rare beauty.

I have faith in SI so I'm looking forward to the latter.

Good work SI, all the features mentioned look like a class act.

I'm also a little concerned about the match engine. Although it looks very nice, even from the 50% build version Miles was showing I can't help but be a little worried that over time seeing the same old animations crop up in certain situations may reduce the immersion factor.

However, if they manage to go with an engine that is very organic, as per Pro Evo, where there seems to be a different animation and situation crop up every game then this may, just may, be something of rare beauty.

I have faith in SI so I'm looking forward to the latter.

Good work SI, all the features mentioned look like a class act.

I know what you mean, that is my main worry about the 3d match engine, seeing the same repetitive animation and goals again and again, it would indeed ruin the immersion factor.

If they do get it right though, it would make FM totally awesome.

I'm glad they kept the 2d engine though, just in case the 3D match engine is not up to scratch.

Also will the stadiums on the outside of the pitch be different if your playing in lower divisions, will we see any referees? linesmen? subs bench?

Now with a 3d match engine imagine future versions with players walking out the tunnel, lining up for photos or national anthem, tv crew, balloons, crowd invasions etc.

It'll be interesting to see how many different stadium models they'll use, hope it's not just the one.

Different weather conditions and lighting will be important as well so it feels like your watching a different match each time.

Can't wait for the demo to give it a bash! :)

I know people are going to moan about the 3D engine as I've seen it on these forums too many times but what's the fuss? They are keeping the 2D pitch as well so there shouldn't be any complaints whatsoever! I am a little reserved about it all but now they have said they will keep the 2D pitch then I'm really optimistic about the game now. If the 3D pitch works then that's an amazing bonus but if its not too good, then I'll be using the solid 2D pitch instead! No problem!

Also crowd invasions would be hilairious!!

SiGames will never win every fan, if they didn't make the 3D match engine people would be crying out saying that Si are resting on their laurels and make too small improvements. Innovate and add a new dimension to the series, and people will say they've lost their roots. Either way, I think the majority are happy with the decision, as am I.

I've wanted 3d for years (When the technology allows), so I'm delighted. I think the time has come for it and I'm looking forward to playing it. The engine looks smooth on the videos and it's got me really excited.

The 2-d engine already has 3 dimensions (As the ball and players have height and the players can jump), so translating that to 3d is in theory not too hard. Making it look pretty is the hard part, and when we get better quality video we can judge that better. But anyway, I'm excited either way.

I am not too bothered about the 3D engine, we do have the option of 2D still, its now in the game because so many people wanted it in the game.

its of course never going to look the best - that is due to the power it would require to run top of the line graphics - but we dont need it to look the best, as long as it runs well and we can see that the game understands our tactics and we can see the game being played for most of the key areas, thats all i think we need.

Concerning the poll, I love the 3D. It looks... awesome.

Though,

I wonder how the "-player- was outmuscled by -player-" would be represented in 3D.

Damn, I hate it when my players get outmuscled, they stay still for like ten seconds and eventually lose the ball. Though, on occasions, I do win back the ball.

On all other Management sims ive seen where 3D is implemented it doesnt work. The 2Dness one of the first things to attract me to FM (apart from SI's reputation). However I reserve judgement as SI, i believe are unlikely to make a rash decision and bring out something which they don't believe is up to scratch.

you've really got to wait until yo are playing the game yourself to see if the match engine is any good.

for all we know they could have been developing this since before CM had it, so it 'could' be a masterpeice. we'll have to wait and see though

Great Stuff, At Last a Match Engine/Representation Which looks the part, The ability to view various stuff on the same screen too, Top Notch. Press Conferences again good stuff.

This release has got me hooked already, I hope they added the option to see what injury a player is carrying in the match and if you should consider replacing player etc.

Looking Good Guys, You got my Pre Order in

I've seen the screenshots of the 3D pitch and I am very very surprised, to say the 3D looks awful I would be lying in a very big way, I am surprised how the players looks, they look amazing, I expected them to look more like sticks than people. Now the thing is...how do them players move, do their legs move, arms move, heads move?...etc. We will have to wait and see. But so far so good :D

I've seen the screenshots of the 3D pitch and I am very very surprised, to say the 3D looks awful I would be lying in a very big way, I am surprised how the players looks, they look amazing, I expected them to look more like sticks than people. Now the thing is...how do them players move, do their legs move, arms move, heads move?...etc. We will have to wait and see. But so far so good :D

I thought the screenies looked rather rubbish, but then Miles did say that the 3D engine was only 50% ready :)

I suppose we'll see refs, and that stadiums will change depending on their capacity

While I feel we don't really need a 3D engine for FM, I will give it a go of course, and let's not forget we still have the 2D engine to fall back on.

I don't think anyone should be complaining since it's only an option. My only concern is that time spent working on the 3D engine could possibly take away development time from other areas of the game, however since 3D is something not seen in previous games I'm assuming new staff have been taken on to deal specifically with the 3D match engine, in which case it shouldn't make too much difference to the rest of the development of the game.

I think the 3D engine looks good enough for what it's supposed to do. Viewing the match in 3D makes it easier to see what's actually happening out there on the pitch, instead of trying to interpret what the 2D blobs are doing. Now we'll actually be able to see how the goals are scored :)

Looking forward to it. If it's decent in FM09, it'll only get better in FM10. And seeing as there's an option to use the 2D engine, the laptop folks or the ones that are just plain against 3D in FM won't even have to bother to use the 3D engine.

I think it's a win-win thing, personally.

i'm a bit shocked si have went 3d and i'm a bit worried because i thought the 2d was still poor but fingers crossed untill the demo is out

They both rely on the same match engine, it's just a different way of displaying the output. FML doesn't have the 3D engine (yet, at least), and I bet they'll improve both in tandem. All guesswork at this stage, though :p

Edit: Oh, and the match engine in FML (which will be shared with FM09) is a lot better than the one in FM08.

I went for 'love it'. I've be in favour for a while and after seeing Cm's it made me wish FM had one like it.

Of course, Im interested to see how it plays so I guess I could have put 'reserve judgment' too.

2D is still there anyway so it shouldn't be a problem for me or anyone else.

Archived