Arron Spears (AKA The New Wayne Rooney)

A lil question here:

Arron Spears is a kid who joined Newcastle from Plymouth when he was only 15 (Arsenal and Liverpool were also after his signature), he's still 15. His parents are both Scottish and he was born in Scotland. However, he's played a few games for the England U16's and he's also been brought up in England.

My question is: Which country is he eligible to represent at senior level? And anyone with official Uefa/Fifa knowledge would be welcomed to post.

Could this be another Ryan Giggs situation, where he represents England at schoolboy level but is unable to represent England at senior level, due to parentage and place of birth?

And to make this a Football Manager question: Which country will he be eligible to play for in Football Manager 2009? ;)

Actually, this is a RL/FM question.

Hmm its late so i'm not going to attempt to explain this in my own words as I'd probably just end up confusing myself. I did however find this link which might be of some use, i think it should explain the answer to your question :)

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamBack/Eligibiliy.html

It's also too late/early to read. Just kidding. ;)

Thanks very much for that, it was most educational and helpful. It seems like my "Ryan Giggs" example was right on the money. Giggs was in the same position as young Spears is. I hope the SFA snap to it and not let another kid slip the net.

Thanks again. :)

Archived