FM gets a mention on Radio 5 Live's 606 programme

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I'm just listening to Radio 5's 606 programme (via BBC iPlayer) and someone mentioned Vincent Kompany being really awesome in his last Liverpool match. The presenter (says Mark Chapman here on the info) replies:

"Anybody who plays Football Manager or Championship Manager knows how good Vincent Kompany is, 'cos he's always a favourite for people who play that."

I'm hoping he meant Championship Manager as the old version of FM. ;)

Just wondering, I'm sure there must've been other cases of players in FM/CM being amazing, and turning out to be just as great in real life - or perhaps not? Anyone got any examples of FM being football's Mystic Meg?

Certainly not Emile Mpenza :mad:

Adebayor was good for me on one of the previous FM/CM's. This was before he joined Arsenal. Elano is another one. I also used to sign Lucas and Anderson for Man United before they joined Liverpool and United. Eduardo is another player I used to sign.

One of the best players I ever had was Isaac Nkubi. I signed him for Man United on one of the CM games (might have been CM01/02) and he was a Swedish striker. I only ever heard him on that particular game and not once in reality.

I will await their purchase of the legendary Andri Sigporsson then.

The most lethal, ruthless, cutthroat goalscorer. Ever.

Ronaldinho, Torres and Reyes were excellent in earlier FM versions. Particularly with Ronaldinho, SI got it very right even during his Gremio days. Also, Saviola was the successor to Sigporsson in the 'massively overpowered superstriker' role.. back when SI had those.

I remember Adu always being a worldbeater in FM and well, ****, IRL.

Also remember Zarate was always great on FM.

I shouldn't really do this, but both those players still become pretty awesome on FM08. At least, in my game they have.

I remember Adu always being a worldbeater in FM and well, ****, IRL.

Also remember Zarate was always great on FM.

Adu isn't that great I agree but Zarate looks really good when he played for Birmingham. I was impressed anyways. BUt I never signed him on FM but he always seems to go for large amounts of money to lazio or someone similar.

Adu isn't that great I agree but Zarate looks really good when he played for Birmingham. I was impressed anyways. BUt I never signed him on FM but he always seems to go for large amounts of money to lazio or someone similar.

I hate coming up against Adu on my game (he's at Man. City in 2011). He's quick and tricky and knows where the goal is. Very difficult to play against.

Before Nani ever played for Man U I bought him (I think) for my Arsenal team. I thought I had uncovered an amazing regen because I was quite a few seasons in, then a couple of months later I hear he has signed for Man U. He was amazing in my game. I had never heard of him in real life before he signed for Man U, but I'm sure other people had.

Before Nani ever played for Man U I bought him (I think) for my Arsenal team. I thought I had uncovered an amazing regen because I was quite a few seasons in, then a couple of months later I hear he has signed for Man U. He was amazing in my game. I had never heard of him in real life before he signed for Man U, but I'm sure other people had.

Tottenham were linked with him before United were, as I recall. I seem to remember he was seen as 'the new Cristiano Ronaldo'. You can see why. He was a young, tricky Portuguese winger at Sporting. He certainly wasn't a complete unknown before joining United.

I will await their purchase of the legendary Andri Sigporsson then. (cant remember if thats how it was spelt).

Damm the memories flood back now, 60 goals he scored in just one season for me.

Does anyone remeber Alexander Farnerud? Jack of all trades master of all.

On a more recent topic, i had to laugh at all the pundits who didnt have a clue about Jose Baxter, have you never played FM08???

Bizarrely, when I was just looking on Wikipedia for information on certain players I came across a player who had a 3 line "article" about him which stated he was a footballer for club x and then said that he is a favourite with players of the computer game Football Manager 2008 and that was it - the entirety of the article! Heaven knows which noggin chose to write such an utterly pointless entry...probably someone from GPG who felt the urge to branch out into Wikipedia prose!

Bizarrely, when I was just looking on Wikipedia for information on certain players I came across a player who had a 3 line "article" about him which stated he was a footballer for club x and then said that he is a favourite with players of the computer game Football Manager 2008 and that was it - the entirety of the article! Heaven knows which noggin chose to write such an utterly pointless entry...probably someone from GPG who felt the urge to branch out into Wikipedia prose!

Vincent Kompany's entry used to mention how popular he was with FM players. It was a much more thorough entry, though! Not sure if it says it anymore. :(

He is playing for Fiorentina, so things are getting better.

Yeah, I agree with the Torres thing, always used to sign him as a youngster.

He's actually been at Genoa since January after hardly playing a game for Fiorentina. Hasn't done much at Genoa either though.

As for legends Orri Freyr Oskarsson was amazing on CM03/04. I signed him in Serie C2, got 3 consecutive promotions to Serie A where he was still my first choice striker. I can't even find him in the FM2008 database though. :(

Ibrahim Bakayoko and Ronald Gomez were my lethal partnership in cm01/02. They would battle it out for premier league leading scorer season after season. Bakayoko had a spell with everton but dissapeared after that. I Remembe Gomes playing for Cost Rica in a world cup and looking really skillful.

Sigsporson = football manager legend.

Evandro Roncatto ring any bells? He was fantastic for me on FM 05 and FM 06: available cheap as a youngster and took just a coulpe of seasons to develop. In real life though, I think he has moved to Portugal but it seems he'll never reach those FM heights...

Archived