Where did the U20's World Cup spring from?

I've always known about the U21's age group.

Then I know that below there was an U19's age group.

I have seen U20 teams/results in the past in real life I think, but they always seemed to be non European Nations ie. South America or North America. I always assumed that the South American Nations had a pre-existing structure with a slightly different date ruling and I must admit that I assumed that it was in fact the same level U20's in SOuth America is the same as U21's in Europe.

Then to my surprise th eother day I managed to send my scout to watch an U20 competition, (that's nice that they've renamed it to keep the South Americans happy I thoughy), but now I have just looked further and they are completely different competitions.

Og the U21 World Cup must be a new thing. That's why I don't know about it I think. Wrong! It has been played every 4 years sonce 1977, (when it was won by USSR). Sounds feasable.

But wait a god darn pickin minute......

Qatar were Runners Up in 1981.

Is this a wind-up?

[Goes to google U20 World Cup 1981 Qatar]

Ahhhhhh. I see now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_U-20_World_Cup

FIFA World youth Championships with a posh new name.

Have a look at some of the names who have been top scorers in the competition.

Oleg Salenko 1989

Adriano 1993

Joseba Etxeberria 1995

Javier Saviola 2001

Fernando Cavenaghi & Eddie Johnson in 2003

Lionel Messi in 2005

Sergio Aguero in 2007.

Sorry. I've sort of answered my own question while I was writing this.

Nice little introduction by the way:thup:.

I get confused in FM though, because England suddenly start running a U20s team distinct from the U21s and U19s. This shouldn't happen.

Well yeah it should, normally there is an U21s and U19s, they cannot enter either of these into an U20 competition as they are not U20 sides, so for the purpose of competing in an U20 competition, an U20 side needs to be set up

Archived