I absolutley love the match engine

I believe that the pictures talk for them self a real laugh :)

Half time

2816597311_21e073a617_o.jpg

Full time

2816596205_140d0c725d_o.jpg

This is not a complaint/rant how the AI cheated me out of a win, since I believe that that does not happen in this game, **** happen in the game, as does in real life Football :)

what were your chances like??? were alot of them from outside the box or just poor chances?

Was the oppositions shot an easy one? was he one on one with the keeper? this is normally why... since you are juventus, they will probably sit back a bit which will make it hard for you to get an opening and then they probably drilled you on the counter attack. Just my guess ;)

what were your chances like??? were alot of them from outside the box or just poor chances?

Was the oppositions shot an easy one? was he one on one with the keeper? this is normally why... since you are juventus, they will probably sit back a bit which will make it hard for you to get an opening and then they probably drilled you on the counter attack. Just my guess ;)

It was an own goal by Nocerino he actually made a run with the ball into his own net :).

David Villa had 2 one on ones with the keeper, Elano missed a clean net and etc, a couple of headers from Iaquinta and Trezeguet which are very good at headers. All in all I would say that there was about 5 long-shots and most were made form the inside the penalty box mostly with nobody marking the players since the Palermo back line was often overloaded, sometimes even 2 to 1.

I'm not actually that mad its more of a laugh since it does not influence my season result.

I thought these silly threads died out some time ago. Clearly you got your tactics wrong and Palermo got theirs right. Defend, defend, defend, and hope for a bit of luck.

Personally, if I'd had those stats at half time I'd have change the pace of my game. And won it, probably 3-1.

Please don't be condescending, I have put this post up since i found this funny and laughable. I realize that you might be an all knowing in depth tactical wise guy who can achieve victory every game but leave some space for us humble not so all knowing 10 or so year long fans of the CM/FM series.

arfaern, I think backpackant was being sarcastic. I can't imagine anyone seriously coming in with that worn out old whore of an excuse, 'your tactics were wrong'. We've all by now acknowledged shortcomings in the match engine. This being a particularly galling one.. way I see it, there's a 'rare event' coded into the game which renders the 'juggernauts dominates yet loses' scenario - familiar to us all - and the only fault is in that it's not rare enough.

arfaern, I think backpackant was being sarcastic. I can't imagine anyone seriously coming in with that worn out old whore of an excuse, 'your tactics were wrong'. We've all by now acknowledged shortcomings in the match engine. This being a particularly galling one.. way I see it, there's a 'rare event' coded into the game which renders the 'juggernauts dominates yet loses' scenario - familiar to us all - and the only fault is in that it's not rare enough.

Agreed there is probably just some bad luck/'juggernauts dominates yet loses' scenario combo that has happend and I do realise that this happens in football as well as it should in FM but I agree that they should tone it down a bit in FM since it does not happen so much in real life.

I can't imagine anyone seriously coming in with that worn out old whore of an excuse, 'your tactics were wrong'. We've all by now acknowledged shortcomings in the match engine. This being a particularly galling one.. way I see it, there's a 'rare event' coded into the game which renders the 'juggernauts dominates yet loses' scenario - familiar to us all - and the only fault is in that it's not rare enough.

You're kidding, right? Erm - yes it was his tactics. Changing them very well may have changed the outcome of the game. The Match Engine has flaws, its true, but this is not one of them.

And to suggest that there's a hard coded "LOSE LOSE LOSE" event is ridiculous.

You're kidding, right? Erm - yes it was his tactics. Changing them very well may have changed the outcome of the game. The Match Engine has flaws, its true, but this is not one of them.

No body said that there is hard coded "LOSE LOSE LOSE" event in the game, all that was said is that there are games that occur during the seasons where you can't win, due to bad luck/random event/something that is coded in the ME, to simulate the real-life bad day for a team. We have all seen those games where one team is crushing the other but cant score and that happens.

Do you actually suggest that if you got your tactic perfect each game with quality players you would be unbeatable? That would make the game boring, because devising a tactic or tactics set that would allow you to overachieve is not so difficult.

By the end of the game I was hopping that they would not make a shot on goal, because the stats would then look even cooler, 1-0 defeat with no shots on target :)

I see all of you screaming its tactical, but what about moral/form/team-talk and etc. which influences a lot in the ME calculations and along with that influences I like to believe that there is a random element in the ME calculations as is in real life.

So dont be screaming it's tactics since that's not necessarily true.

Look at the screenshots again. Where are the corners from all of these chances (which keepers will normally concede when they have to pull of spectacular saves)? Why are nearly 50% of the chances off target?

There's absolutely no doubt that Juve dominated the game - but I'd say that they failed to deal with a mass defense. The chances created were simply not good enough.

Where I will say something in the match engine is wrong/broken is that keepers get too much of a confidence boost from dealing with poor shots - but this isn't an issue if you create really clear cut chances.

If you really do think that something's wrong, then submit your PKM to the bugs forum for the testing team to have a look at.

Look at the screenshots again. Where are the corners from all of these chances (which keepers will normally concede when they have to pull of spectacular saves)? Why are nearly 50% of the chances off target?

There's absolutely no doubt that Juve dominated the game - but I'd say that they failed to deal with a mass defense. The chances created were simply not good enough.

Where I will say something in the match engine is wrong/broken is that keepers get too much of a confidence boost from dealing with poor shots - but this isn't an issue if you create really clear cut chances.

If you really do think that something's wrong, then submit your PKM to the bugs forum for the testing team to have a look at.

I don't believe that this is a bug, it is a simple random event in the game which adds to the uncertainty of management which is good, it does not need always to be tactic wise.

Regarding the quality of chances read the posts it is somewhere in there, that is not the point. The point is that this happens in the game and every players should take this not as a sign of their on weakness all the time rather some times accept that it was bad luck.

Please don't be condescending, I have put this post up since i found this funny and laughable. I realize that you might be an all knowing in depth tactical wise guy who can achieve victory every game but leave some space for us humble not so all knowing 10 or so year long fans of the CM/FM series.

Not trying to be condescending and I certainly don't win every match. Only the ones I dominate. My reply was geared toward the many threads on this subject and the subtext that there's "something wrong" with the game.

Yes, I accept this sort of thing is not particularly realistic, but FM is just a game. You will never, ever get 100% realism on here and you have to adapt your tactics (no sarcasm) accordingly. Sometimes something as unrealistic as slowing your tempo will yield the result you want.

People who say that some matches are hard-coded to lose are simply wrong - no matter how many times they restart the game and play it over, that isn't evidence.

Anyway, having seen so many of these threads on the forum and getting increasingly bored by them, perhaps my comments can get a little testy, in which case I apologise. More constructively, in my experience, the following are things that could be wrong here:

Team talk - has too much influence on team performance, but if you get it wrong you can demotivate the team.

Press comments - ditto: too much influence.

Tactics - if you're losing 1-0 at half time something as minor as changing tempo and/or passing style can win you the game. Dominating, you're doing something right, but not scoring you're doing something wrong. EG, if you are playing a fast-paced direct style, try changing to a slower mixed style, and vice versa. It works for me almost every time.

Even the most ardent fan has to admit that FM08 had its problems, but when you are patched to 8.0.2 most of those problems either become purely cosmetic in nature or have easy workarounds. Hope this helps.

Wow the opening poster actually defends himself in the first post to say its not a rant its just bad luck but isnt it funny (esp half time) and lets others look and still people turn it into a tactics/morale etc thread where that wasnt really the point! Its really funny we all have it happen we hit something and hurt ourselves and then move on :)

Chill peopel and take time to giggle at others misfortune before you go back and cry at your own :p

I don't believe that this is a bug, it is a simple random event in the game which adds to the uncertainty of management which is good, it does not need always to be tactic wise.

Don't get me wrong, we all have games in which we just have a disbelieving moment. The tone of the thread and thread title suggest that you have a problem with the match engine though - hence me saying: "You can do something about this".

But still Barcelona couldn't beat them. Sergio Kresic admitted that "Barcelona had more chances and we had more luck". He was right. Just as the ref was right to send off Numancia's disappearing ball-boys. But that doesn't hide the fact that Barça's display was depressingly familiar for fans. As El País put it, Barcelona have stopped drinking and smoking but they still have bad habits. "We've seen it all before," sighed Sport. Barcelona boasted 70% of possession and took 26 shots, twice hitting the post, but lacked width and penetration, then got caught on the break. A left-wing cross to the far post, no sign of Eric Abidal - just for a change, like - and Mario smashed the winner. "There's no excuse. We never attacked properly," grumbled Pep Guardiola, who was wearing his grandad's cardigan for the occasion. "The players did not fulfil their obligations. Instead of opening the pitch out, we were narrow."

Guardian.co.uk: Sid Lowe on Barcelona losing to Numancia. Nuff zed ;)

It's not definately his tactics....

Every save the keeper made, by luck, increased his confidence. It's perfectly possible the AI was lucky, his strikers then folded while the oposing keeper went from strength to strength.

I remember Brad Freidel keeping a clean sheet at Highbury when we had 20+ shots on target. Our tactics weren't flawed, he just got lucky a couple of times and used that confidence to go on and have the game of his life.

It's galling for people to suggest this is 100% a tactical issue, the only way to avoid getting a result like this over the long term is to cheat. Christ I get a couple a season where the strikers just fall out of form and can't score no matter what, it has nothing to do with the quality of chances and only a little to do with the keeper (at the top level half of keepers are capable of making 5+ exceptional saves a match).

Archived