Paranoia about substitutions!!

During a match.. i find myself thinking the whole time about the condition of my players. Does it really make a difference to their performance if a player is on 80% instead on 100%?

I then always substitute my best players if we are 1-0 up... to save him for the next game (except if the next game is a week away.. in which case it doesnt matter as he will recover)... but if i have a midweek game i sub my best players. Hence the only player that plays every game is my goalie. And when selecting a team... if a player is not 100% or 99% i probably wont play him... which means that my squad rotates so much.

Does it really matter about their condition?! Or is it ok for them to start the match on say 90%-95%?

In real football... you see most players play game in game out.... and should i just do that and not pay so much attention to condition?! Or what about where it says in words there fitness.... whether it says 'match fit', 'fully fit'.... should i look at this!?

Help im a paranoid man!

Hmm... I have never really thought of that! Of course I figured that a player below %85 from start would perfom lesser than else, but I haven't paid that much attention to it.

Usually I keep my players so that they are 95% or above on matchdays. I tend to rest some of my hardworking attacking mid's quite alot in those pesky 2 games a week periods, and I don't know, perhaps it does affect their perfomances. I don't think it matters all too much, since I haven't noted any significant bad performances related to this.

In matches I usually tend to sub players when they reach below 80% too, but it depends on a couple of things. If they have a rating of 9 (or 8 if they are the only ones who have performed well in the match) and are crucial to my attacking pace or defensive strenght, I keep em on a bit longer. Some players might also suffer a bit if it's a really close and intense match. I'd say that below %75 they will show signs of tiredness in terms of how they get back on defense, how they finish and how hard they work etc. etc... But other than that, I don't think there is too much to worry about.

I will keep an eye on this debate as I would like to know too.

From the patch changelist:-

Match v664

===========

- Increased hit on attributes caused by low condition

I would hazrad a guess it is not a linear relationship and probably a sliding scale (e.g. the drop from 95 to 90 as less of an impact than the drop from 75 to 70).

Personal opinion, "what works for you" and how tiring your games are (i.e. high tempo etc) play a big part in this.

I never start anyone if they are below 90% and prefer not to start anyone under 95%, but having read a fair few threads like this I know peoples opnions differ greatly.

As for subbing tired players, I usually go for the most tired first, very rarely subbing people due to fatigue if they are over 80%.

No need to be paranoid, but never EVER sub a player during a key highlight ... thats just tempting fate ;)

Crouchaldinho thanks that site is good! Clears a lot up!

Say for a minute that 'real' football works in the same way as Football Manager. Steven Gerrard, for Liverpool, usually plays twice a week. Do you think his condition (on FM) is 100% each time he plays? Or just about 90%? I always think this when thinking about whether condition really matters... but then who likes stevie g anyway tommy huddlestone is a legend :)

I always sub ma keeper at half time.

Works a darn treat it does. Never conceded a goal at home in 2 seasons at Derby boss when the second keeper is in place, no matter who it is in goal. We aint ever title challengers, so I'm a thinking subs are good when it comes down to s*it like that see, not no rubbish on players a thinking they're tired, no siree not for me.

I take no notice of condition unless it is getting towards the low 80s or below. I only occasionally sub based on condition too. My best players play every single game if they are fit in general. I was hugely impressed a 31 year old Juan Roman Riquelme (who my coach said was injury prone) was the only player to start every single game for Werder Bremen in my season just gone and he only missed a couple of game the season before. I subbed him a few times, but not that many and not usually before the 60th-70th minute.

I include players in my squad if they have a condition => 95%, and if they are key players and it is an important game >= 90%, but then you should not expect their top performance or excessive running around the pitch.

I also sub them if they are < 85% or for key players < 80%

Archived