How to interpret a scout report?

...for the next opponents?

My scouts report i need to make plans for the oppositions players

Anyone know how exactly to deal with

* Teams playing possession football?

* Teams keeping the ball on the ground and playing it?

* Teams having powerful presence up front both in the air & on the floor?

* Teams which use the aerial power of their strikers and we need to cut them off (HOW?):(

* Teams moving the ball quickly to their front line?

* Players who will prove to be problematic? (Close them down or not?)

* Teams who pace will cause problems to our defence?

* Player who like to drop into space?

Any help appreciated

:)

...for the next opponents?

My scouts report i need to make plans for the oppositions players

Anyone know how exactly to deal with

* Teams playing possession football? Short slow tempo down both flanks as to not give away possesion to them. Or just a quick tempo game

* Teams keeping the ball on the ground and playing it? Keep the game narrow

* Teams having powerful presence up front both in the air & on the floor? Cut of supply by OI man marking weaker foot hard tackling AMC/L/R

* Teams which use the aerial power of their strikers and we need to cut them off (HOW?):( OI wingers hard tackling and to right foot if a left winger viceversa

* Teams moving the ball quickly to their front line? slow tempo wide game

* Players who will prove to be problematic? (Close them down or not?) close down hard tackling

* Teams who pace will cause problems to our defence? deep Defensive line

* Player who like to drop into space? man mark said player

Any help appreciated your welcome

:)

ten character rule :(

Never mind about my last comment thanks for your reply

i tried in my previous match to nullify a threat using your instructions and didnt do too badly

next game away to Cardiff

my scout has reported that

* they play a 442 with a strong emphasis on attack

* pitch is on the short side and players will have to work hard in order to find space

* Cardiff like to play a direct style of football

* We should stop them moving the ball quickly to their front line

* We should make plans for their forwards as they are strong and quick

* Look to nullify the technical prowess of Whittingham

OK so going entirely off what megafan2005 writes i should look to

* play a slow tempo wide game

* hard tackling and to right foot if a left viceversa for wingers

* Cut off supply to forwards by man marking, showing on weaker foot, hard tackling wide midfielders

I too play a 442

this game i will look to defend but not counter too early in the game

Lets see how i get on....

2-1 victory

last minute pen to nick it lol

i tried in my previous match to nullify a threat using your instructions and didnt do too badly

* pitch is on the short side and players will have to work hard in order to find space

OK so going entirely off what megafan2005 writes i should look to

* Cut off supply to forwards by man marking, showing on weaker foot, hard tackling wide midfielders

I too play a 442

2-1 victory

Sorry dont quite understand did I not say do that :confused:

OK so going entirely from what megafan2005 writes i should look to

I too play a 442

2-1 victory

Sorry dont quite understand did I not say do that :confused:

I think that solves the confusion

How about short pitches and congestion in the middle?

What I do here is play a little wider and focus passing down both flanks. It seems to make sense if the middle is congested.

Also i give the midfielders a little more creative freedom to help them find space and make sure you have plenty of forward runners.

One other thing to watch is make sure your players aren't over hitting their passes. If they are, lower their passing length.

How about passing,should I put mixed to all players on a 4-4-2 set-up in that case?

Well, I don't know about you but I tend to have the defenders, midfielders, wingers and forwards all on different passing.

Forwards on shorter passing, Defenders on longer passing and midfielders / wingers somewhere in between.

A couple suggestions.

First of all, you need to think whether you have to counter AI or play you own game and let AI how to counter you. E.g. if you are Arsenal I don't think you should care if Derby likes to play possession or has emphasis on attack:). Hence, if you are clear favorite, you may want to take care of potential threats here and there, but I would not alter passing style and width and set it as if I am going to control the game.

Second, you need to think how proposed changes may disrupt your tactic. One example. OI override all other instructions. Si, if you play deep def line but instruct your players to close down AI wingers and MCs, you are at much higher risk that your players will be out of position. Or if your tactic uses farrows and you usually use direct passing, switching to short one may cause some problems in the middle as there might be gaps between defs and attackers.

So, scout report is really usefull, but there is no unique way to do pre game preparation as it depends significantly on your base tactic.

I don't get one thing...I started using the tips said above and beat almost every club in the league...However,now I'm losing from crap clubs where I'm a strong favorite...

They obviously read my tactics which was actually a "counter" to theirs.Now,sitting 1st,not too much to go but losing all the time.What should I do when I'm using exactly what my scout told me about my next opponent but I still get beaten... :s

What the...? :D

I followed the scout report and combined it with your tips and won the Bundesliga and German Cup for the first time my history with my 1.FC Union Berlin side (brought them up from the lowest division). :)

However,what should I do now,I really don't get it since that approach doesn't work... :) And all other tactics tried/created just don't give a result... :s

I followed the scout report and combined it with your tips and won the Bundesliga and German Cup for the first time my history with my 1.FC Union Berlin side (brought them up from the lowest division). :)

However,what should I do now,I really don't get it since that approach doesn't work... :) And all other tactics tried/created just don't give a result... :s

Well if the AI or computer whatever you prefer to call them can exploit your explotation of your tactics perhaps try not exploiting there tactics or do the exact opposite to be precise. And my advice worked? Really?

Once you become favorite, the way you read scout reports should slightly change and so should your tactic. From now on AI tries to counter your tactic as AI assumes you are going to dictate the play. So first, look if the next opponent played previuous match against stronger team or the weaker one. If the latter is the case, don't expect them to play exactly the same way against you. Second, if it's a home game for you, don't expect AI to close you down heavily even if scout says so. Etc. Basically, look at the scout report carefully and try to determine what is important and what's not if you are going to dictate the game. Who cares if your opponent likes to play possession football and currently in relegation zone? You clearly can outplay them, so the idea of using direct passing is bad, because you let AI play a style that is not convinient for you (unless, of course, you always play direct).

I don't get it...Now when I'm a favorite I can't find a way to actually dominate the game,the opponents do so...For example,how to take the ball from them?I'm trying with closing down but the players are looking like idiots...

well dont use high closing down just have a bit higher DLINE. You recover the ball easier.

What formation do you use maybe I could help?

• 2 weeks later...

I've done that and it worked...However,I'm still struggling with my tactics now that I'm a favorite...

My team is based on a 4-4-2 formation...What player instructions I can use here to make my team dominate the game again instead of being ridiculed by minnows? :s

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

How would you interpret this,

'Against Walsall they played a defensive 3-5-2 formation

Hereford don't play a particular passing style and like to mix it around a bit. They benefit from a strong and organised defence and this could prove difficult to break down. We should concentrate on preventing their strikers receiving the ball to feet as they should not pose us a threat aerially.

The sheer athleticism of central midfielder Toumani Diagouraga will be an imposing threat'

Im trying to use Cleon's tactic and failing miserably thus far till i stumbled across this but there's still some scout reports i can't understand. I'm guessing against their 3-5-2 I could try and outnumber their defence? They play a mixed passing style so how do i counter that? I should up the tempo and creative freedom to help break them down? Show their AM/c/l/r onto the outside so they're forced to cross the ball in? Close down the Central Midfielder threat Tackle him Hard?

Cheers for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
How would you interpret this,

'Against Walsall they played a defensive 3-5-2 formation Are you a "better" team than Walsall, "worse," or about the same? Is this game at home or away? If you are at home, and slight/comfortable favorites, I would look for Hereford to adopt a similar approach. If you are worse than Walsall, particularly if you are playing away from home, Hereford may change up their tactics and play a more attacking style, trying to dominate play. From my experience, and from what I have been able to soak up on various excellent posts (long-time player, newer to the forums), "defensive" refers to their mentality, and possibly that they do not take many chances (i.e. mixed/rare forward runs). If you are at home (Hereford is the away team), then they will most likely be adapting their tactic to fit whatever they believe you play like at home. I think you see where I am going with this, I don't want to beat a dead horse ;)

Hereford don't play a particular passing style and like to mix it around a bit. Mixed/normal passing, possibly a split-level passing scheme (since they are defensive, this probably indicates that defenders play more direct, midfield mixed, and attackers short) They benefit from a strong and organised defence and this could prove difficult to break down. Again, this probably refers to the fact that their team does not venture away from their position very frequently in defense, and most likely they adopt a narrower approach, as far as width is concerned. Also, the "organised" may refer to the fact that their team has been playing together for a long time and has "gelled" very well, but this is just a theory. We should concentrate on preventing their strikers receiving the ball to feet as they should not pose us a threat aerially. Again, an indication that man marking their defenders and possibly hard tackling is in order (although I would check your defenders tackling and decisions, as well as the referee's history, i.e. does he keep the cards in his pocket, or dole them out like candy). You may also want to make sure that your defenders can match their forwards for pace/acceleration, since the "receiving the ball to feet" may indicate that they "run with ball often" or are decent dribblers of the ball.

The sheer athleticism of central midfielder Toumani Diagouraga will be an imposing threat' Possibly referring to the fact that he has good physical stats and may need to be matched by your opposing player(s) in the midfield. Another theory may be that he is their primary "closer-down" of the ball in midfield, and may seek to put your players under duress when they are in possession of the ball.

Im trying to use Cleon's tactic and failing miserably thus far till i stumbled across this but there's still some scout reports i can't understand. I'm guessing against their 3-5-2 I could try and outnumber their defence? They play a mixed passing style so how do i counter that? Not sure about "countering" their passing style, I would seek to counter the references to their mentality (defensive) by setting up a decently attacking mentality (a click or two above the center), and also to keep in mind that the "defensive" mentality + "organised defence" may indicate a narrow width and slower tempo, with higher time wasting. I should up the tempo and creative freedom to help break them down? Show their AM/c/l/r onto the outside so they're forced to cross the ball in? Close down the Central Midfielder threat Tackle him Hard?

Cheers for the help.

Sorry for the essay in response, just trying to help out, let me know how it works out! :):thup:

Archived