Suggestion

Not entirely sure what benefit or purpose this would serve but i imagine this is a probable way round it:

add another manager who is unemployed. When the fixture comes up just before you do your team selection, change to this manager and click the v between the two team names. The V should say view now. THen change back to the proper manager and holiday.

You could get your assistant to take control of friendlies but you could still watch the games. I used to do this but in FM08 they stopped letting you go to the game:( i suppose it is a little unrealistic that you would go and watch without managing but its not something that couldn't happen i don't think so i don't see why they stopped letting us go watch the match.

It does make sense that you should still be able to watch the game, like when you got a touchline ban, seeing as when a manager IRL has a touchline ban he still comes to the game, he doesn't just sit at home sulking that he was given a slap on the wrist by the FA, he sits at the game and flouts the rules by instructing his assistant what to do via mobile phone a la Mourinho, but I digress

All jokes aside, I think this is a decent idea that could easily be implemented into the game, after all it is just like watching any other game, it just happens to be your team, IMO is a good way to see how your Ass Man manages your team

Archived