Game jammed

Ive been trying some many times to figure out why that happen but has been dificult for me because of my computer's mad!. Latelly when i play FM, i click the button "Continue" to carrie on the game to the next day. But something is wrong. The game sometimes takes a long time to proceed until he decides to stop and become irresponsable:mad:. I know this isn't very usual to ask in this community, but i decided though to see if i can get a little in here. I apreciate anything you say.:(

Check the disk for dirt and scratches or other damage. Failing that try to check your hard drive for errors and defrag.

FM doesn't access the game disc when playing so it isn't that. It might be just the game has a lot of number crunching to do.

Do you get any error messages or does the game just freeze?
Its like, i wait for some terrible time for that to continue, mas after a long or short time, its just gives me the idea that have stoped for completely, when i click of course just to verifie.

The game running slowly is usually because of any one or all of the following:

The number of leagues you are running

The detail level of these leagues

Some other program, usually an anti virus program, accessing and checking the FM files while the game is running

An infection of the FM program by a virus or spyware.

Whats the spec of your computer i.e amount of ram, processor type/speed hard drive capacity and space left. I think canvey might be on to something when he asks about number of leagues. It could be your are trying to run too many leagues with your current spec of computer.

The game running slowly is usually because of any one or all of the following:

The number of leagues you are running

The detail level of these leagues

Some other program, usually an anti virus program, accessing and checking the FM files while the game is running

An infection of the FM program by a virus or spyware.

I'm going to try explain to you, topic by topic, according what you said:

- First, the number of the leagues that i chosed, might wierd to tell or not, but i've chosen various leagues, such as italy, germany, portugal, spain, england. It might be the problem and i've been thinking a lot before doing this thread.

- Second, i've chosen, as always, the main divisions. Most of the leagues that i've chosen

only have the main divisions.

- Third, i dont quite believe if my anti-virus access my FM files while playing. I cant explain the reason that i disagree

- And finally fourth, i dont think that the FM is infected because a few time ago i made a long and slow scan on the game and i didn't found anything.

Whats the spec of your computer i.e amount of ram, processor type/speed hard drive capacity and space left. I think canvey might be on to something when he asks about number of leagues. It could be your are trying to run too many leagues with your current spec of computer.
Computer Inter ® Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00 Ghz (i think there's 2 of them), 448 MB of RAM. And there's more -» (C:) Used space 12,9 GB, space left 136 GB, capacity 149 GB

Whats your computers spec? What programs are you running alongside/in the background to fm?
Computer spec: -» Computer Inter ® Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00 Ghz (i think there's 2 of them), 448 MB of RAM. And there's more -» (C Used space 12,9 GB, space left 136 GB, capacity 149 GB. I only run FM when i play it. i dont usually open other programs while playing.

What operating system are you on? Vista or XP?

I don't have Vista so maybe someone else will show you how to get to Task Manager in Vista (if it's different to XP).

In XP Ctrl+Alt+Delete > Task Manager

Click 'processes' tab.

Click the column labelled CPU so that it is sorted by most usage (these are by percentage). You should see 'System Idle Process' as most until you start running a program.

If you don't see a 'CPU' column go View > Select Columns and tick the 'CPU Usage' box.

Play FM as you normally do but while it is processing keep an eye on Task Manager (use the window sizer to make it smaller and click Options and make sure 'Always on top' is ticked).

Mate go to game they repair dvds blu ray music a games for 2.99!

It isn't a problem with the cd.

Do any programs start up on there own? You may not have started any but some maybe running that startup when the computer does.

Computer spec: -» Computer Inter ® Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00 Ghz (i think there's 2 of them), 448 MB of RAM. And there's more -» (C Used space 12,9 GB, space left 136 GB, capacity 149 GB. I only run FM when i play it. i dont usually open other programs while playing.

There could already be a few things that windows opens automatically. Is there quite a few icons along the bottom right of your desktop? If so try right clicking on some of these and selecting the approporiate option to quit these programs. As for your ram 448mb isn't a lot by todays standards as you really should be thinking about 1GB as a minimum. How many leagues are you running anyway because I think your trying to run too many with the amount of ram that you currently have and that could be the cause of your problems.

I'm going to try explain to you, topic by topic, according what you said:

- First, the number of the leagues that i chosed, might wierd to tell or not, but i've chosen various leagues, such as italy, germany, portugal, spain, england. It might be the problem and i've been thinking a lot before doing this thread.

- Second, i've chosen, as always, the main divisions. Most of the leagues that i've chosen

only have the main divisions.

- Third, i dont quite believe if my anti-virus access my FM files while playing. I cant explain the reason that i disagree

- And finally fourth, i dont think that the FM is infected because a few time ago i made a long and slow scan on the game and i didn't found anything.

Sorry I never noticed the above reply when I posted my last comment. I think the problem is that your running too many leagues and you have insufficient ram to cope with this. Try starting a new game with less leagues (say 5 just as a test) and try again and tell us what happens.

Sorry I never noticed the above reply when I posted my last comment. I think the problem is that your running too many leagues and you have insufficient ram to cope with this. Try starting a new game with less leagues (say 5 just as a test) and try again and tell us what happens.

Obvious its works and starts to run easely, but its a little wierd that the game stops running. In my opinion i think i have more than enough space or RAM to run the game for at least 5 or 6 leagues.:confused:

What operating system are you on? Vista or XP?

I don't have Vista so maybe someone else will show you how to get to Task Manager in Vista (if it's different to XP).

In XP Ctrl+Alt+Delete > Task Manager

Click 'processes' tab.

Click the column labelled CPU so that it is sorted by most usage (these are by percentage). You should see 'System Idle Process' as most until you start running a program.

If you don't see a 'CPU' column go View > Select Columns and tick the 'CPU Usage' box.

Play FM as you normally do but while it is processing keep an eye on Task Manager (use the window sizer to make it smaller and click Options and make sure 'Always on top' is ticked).

I have XP and i've done what you said, but what should i do? should i end temporaly the 'System Idle process'?

What season are you in?

I had to stop playing my last game because I had got to 2019 and the auto save which happens when you click continue was making progress unbearable. As it is never advisable to run with out a rolling auto save on, I decided to start again rather than have to wait a few minutes ever time it saved the game.

If you wait a long time (10 minutes) and the game lets you carry on playing, then this could be your problem.

I have XP and i've done what you said, but what should i do? should i end temporaly the 'System Idle process'?

You can't. System Idle is just that, it means the CPU is doing nothing.

When you have clicked to sort by CPU, play FM and the next time it is processing and it feels slow check to see if anything is competing with FM for CPU resources. As long as the main split is between fm.exe and 'System Idle Process' it means nothing is slowing it down.

Not sure how exactly you interpret Task Manager with multi-core processors (or if it reports differently).

While you're in Task Manager you might want to check out fm's memory usage (Click the Processes tab, then View > Select Columns > tick the 'Memory Usage' and 'Virtual Memory Size' boxes).

What season are you in?

I had to stop playing my last game because I had got to 2019 and the auto save which happens when you click continue was making progress unbearable. As it is never advisable to run with out a rolling auto save on, I decided to start again rather than have to wait a few minutes ever time it saved the game.

If you wait a long time (10 minutes) and the game lets you carry on playing, then this could be your problem.

Jesus Christ i'm only on the first season (2007/2008) of Football Manager 2008. I was almost ending it in my portuguese season (Benfica) on March 2008. I didn't do more than that..:S. But especifiquily what is the problem? Too many seasons played?

What season are you in?

Jesus Christ i'm only on the first season (2007/2008) of Football Manager 2008. I was almost ending it in my portuguese season (Benfica) on March 2008. I didn't do more than that..:S. But especifiquily what is the problem? Too many seasons played?

Open the task manager and go to processes and try disabling some of these to see if that makes a difference. I still think you should invest in more ram though! I've read your posts again on this subject and you dont say if you've got the 8.0.2 patch. If you haven't got this patch then perhaps getting it might help

Investing in more RAM would obviously be a good idea but I have the same amount of RAM and a less powerful processor than you so that should not be the problem unless you are running too many playable leagues and/or have several other programs running at the same time.

Archived