The next Maradona

It's weird I've never seen a player described as that in the game. Which is at odds with real life when only this century we've had Aimar, Riquelme, D'Alessandro, Tevez and now Messi (although Aguero might just take the moniker from him)!

Young players in FM08 only get compared with famous players from their current club. I've actually seen the description change when a player moved clubs. But in real life any short Argentine Wonderkid attacker is going to be compared to Maradona.

Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough... has anybody seen a youngster compared to Maradona. Was the kid at Boca, Napoli or another club? How about Pele (like Robinho), Zidane (like Nasri), Maldini (nobody comes close)...

I had two players touted as the next Les Ferdinand at the same time. :confused: :p

Worrying times. Maybe one is destined to become an England international and the other is destined to become a pundit for Setanta Sports post-retirement?

I wonder if, if you get far enough into a game, players can be touted the next version of a regen who was legendary in the game world. Anyone seen this?

I wonder if, if you get far enough into a game, players can be touted the next version of a regen who was legendary in the game world. Anyone seen this?

I remember i asked this in a thread a while ago and the answer was that it was possible but i haven't seen it myself. I'm in the year 2030 or thereabouts so i'm hoping that i see it sometime.

I've seen Fraizer Campbell touted as the new Les Ferdinand, strange as Campbell's heading, jumping and strength are low compared to his speed and pace. Still, 'Blockhead' he is.

One of my regens was the new Michael Owen, although he was so slow he appeared to move backwards.

In my Sheff Utd FM 07 game, two of my players were compared to people outside of the club.

Andy Ellis, my best striker (at 18) was compared to Jason Beckford, a Newcastle striker

Guy Hill, a youth midfield prospect (at 20) was compared to Dorian Marshall, a Chelsea midfielder.

Please note: Don't try finding these players in your game...It was a fake player game. ^_^

When I read this thread title I thought this was going to be about Paul Scholes attempt to re-create the infamous 'hand of god' goal in Monaco last night! :D;)[/quote

Haha when he hit the ball with his head he began celebrating the goal!!!Like no one saw!!:D

When I read this thread title I thought this was going to be about Paul Scholes attempt to re-create the infamous 'hand of god' goal in Monaco last night! :D;)

that must of taken amazing amounts of practice- in off the post aswell! an unstoppale effort.

top marks for control but a bit of work needed on the "it was my head ref!" disguise.

Marko Marin is touted as the new Franz Beckenbauer

:D but they aren't even similar. Marin is a winger and while Beckenbauer was a Libero.

Georginio Wijnaldum is the next Clarence Seedorf on mine, they even have the same hair
In my Sheff Utd FM 07 game, two of my players were compared to people outside of the club.

Andy Ellis, my best striker (at 18) was compared to Jason Beckford, a Newcastle striker

Guy Hill, a youth midfield prospect (at 20) was compared to Dorian Marshall, a Chelsea midfielder.

Please note: Don't try finding these players in your game...It was a fake player game. ^_^

Oh maybe they get compared to their fave player? I had Wijnaldum with Valencia but the best I got was a Silva comparison.

The OP has criminally forgotten Saviola :mad:

:D and his is probably the most disappointing too - he ends up at all these great clubs but is never given a chance there.

When I read this thread title I thought this was going to be about Paul Scholes attempt to re-create the infamous 'hand of god' goal in Monaco last night!

Heh, it was so obvious (his hand was so high) Scholes had his shirt in his mouth afterward. Come to think of it, Messi has scored a 'hand of God' already. And of course that great goal against Getafe that is almost an exact replica of Maradona's against Englans. He might be the one after all..

Heh, it was so obvious (his hand was so high) Scholes had his shirt in his mouth afterward. Come to think of it, Messi has scored a 'hand of God' already. And of course that great goal against Getafe that is almost an exact replica of Maradona's against Englans. He might be the one after all..

I remember Messi's Hand of God. It was so freaky because it was exactly like Maradona's in the way that the keeper was coming for the ball and Messi's hand was just in front of his head. I watched the two videos and they were nearly exactly the same.

The funny thing about Messi/Maradona is not just the hand of god, but Messi almost exactly recreated Maradona's terrific run back in the (1990?) world cup against England. It's like watching one of them old Disney films which are re-released with "more colour"

If you go into the editor there is a list of all the players who someone can "be the next".

I think you need to go to the country and one of the things lists them. So a tall creative English forward can be the next Le Tissier. Etc etc.

Not sure if Maradona is in the Argentina list.

I've seen someone being dubbed the new Batistuta

Same, and his name was Gabriel Batista! :)

The weirdest one on mine is that a League One side have a good youngster dubbed as the next David Beckham - but he is terrible at Free Kicks, Corners and Crossing, the three things Beckham is known for.

I've got a young Scottish player who's the next Something McSomething (well not really, but I can't remember the name), and I've never heard of the player. He won't be a regen or anything though, I'm not far enough in.

Would you agree that regens touted as "The next..." hardly actually turn out very good? I think only regens with a good PA should get this tag. And not as young as they do now!

Would you agree that regens touted as "The next..." hardly actually turn out very good? I think only regens with a good PA should get this tag. And not as young as they do now!

The way it's done is actually very realistic because in real life nobody knows for sure how much potential a player has. So it uses the CA, as it is done in real life (where the player's perceived talent is used, as there is no CAs in real life).

If the PA was used, it would be too easy to spot the good players, while in real life most players touted as the new <insert name> never become anything more than just good players (and even this only happen to few players).

Archived