Anyone ever been at a financially crippled club?

Ok, this has been puzzling me for a while now. Has a club ever gone bust on FM? I've seen bankrupt teams who are terminating contracts each week but have not seen anybody actually fold. Given the unfortunate fate of Gretna (and the almost extinction of Rotherham, Luton, Bournemouth etc) I think this would be a realistic add on if it's not already implemented. Surely if I went to a club and just overspent on wages etc I could send a club bust? Or would the board sack me before I could kill the club? It's quite an interesting one, I think.

And now onto the thread title, has anyone here ever been at a club with real financial problems? Ever had to offload players in a panic or, even worse, gone into administration and lost 10 points? Can this happen? I know it can happen to other clubs (Forest on my game - I'm in 2039 - have lost 10 points each season for about 10 years!) but have never heard anyone speaking of it happening to themselves.

Has anyone seen a club lose more than 10 points in a season, can it happen?

As a supporter of Rotherham (financial crises galore in the last few years) this really interests me.

Thanks in advance for your responses

Has anyone seen a club lose more than 10 points in a season, can it happen?

Not sure, but I'd like to know if anything decides the amount of points deducted. I saw Derby lose 6 points about 4 games before the end of the season, which saw them drop to the same amount of points as 18th in the league and only avoid the drop on goal difference.

The game doesn't support clubs 'folding' and being demoted or dissolved. There are too many complications and knock on effects that would require a lot of programming resources to solve for something that does not happen that regularly.

That's not to say that we won't ever include it, but it's difficult to work out what is supposed to happen when restructuring league and cup competitions as well as the general AI surrounding the club's players and fans.

I used the editor to move Fakel Voronezh from the amateur leagues to the Russian First Division. I got next to nothing from gate receipts and the club was losing millions of pound a season. I sold off one or two players, but the eventual solution to my financial difficulties was to qualify for the Champions League. I never got any point deductions though.

Personally I won't want to see it happen in the game or real life. As a supporter of Newport County and having seen it happen to the "old" Newport County, seeing the effect it has on club, players, fans and the town itself it's something I hope no other club goes though, even Cardiff City.

They don't really need to fold as they'll eventually fall off the bottom of the lowest league running.

No they wont. Reputation is king. It doesn't matter how poor a team is. Yeah they might get the 10 points this season and might even go down, but then they'll swiftly "renegotiate their debts" or get a takeover and their reputation will mean they win the lower league by a huge amount and get promoted again.

It doesn't matter how hideously crippling someones debts are, within a season any bank will allow them to renegotiate.

Man U have gone bankrupt for years and years on my game, without any obvious ill-effects.

Tbh I'd actually like to see some sort of "evolution" in terms of the existence of clubs. I understand that a club going under is emotionally painful for the fans of those sides, but it is a part of football- just like losing & relegation are- and IMO FM should (eventually) aim to implement it in someway- it would just add to the variety and uniqueness of long term games. Halifax Town, Gretna, the original Telford United etc have all folded recently and in some cases reinvented themselves in the lower leagues. I understand it would be difficult to implement but its something that I wouldnt mind seeing in future.

Man Utd got 9 points deducted and they dropped from the prem, then 2 more administrations in the Championship has seen then yo-yo between the Championship and League One.

I got the job 2 seasons after the drop form the Premiership, as a 6 times league winner with Valencia, and had players sold from beneath me weekly as we were in administration, it was really really hard, and then the board takoever was completed and after 103 days I was sacked as the board wanted to go in another direction (which turned out to be down to League One!)

I went on to manage At.Madrid and win La Liga and The Champions League twice whilst united flounder in the Championship, but at least they aren't going bust these days!

Archived