Idea!

Ye i know its to late for this version obviously but just wanted to gain a few peoples opinion on an idea that popped into my head.

Maybe there could be a hidden setting or something for stadium intimidation...(Go with me on this one) For example fratton park...nobody likes to go there as its a tough place to get points because of the fans and the old style to it...Now part of that is the way Pompey play but maybe there could be a hidden setting out of 20 for "intimidation"...and more fans you get then the higher the setting or something...and could be a media option sayin "its a tough place to visit but i believe we can get three points"...

Any opinions...

Good idea. It could also be factored in to consideration when expanding/building a new stadium. Giving you the choice of having a bigger, money making, new stadium or keeping the older, more intimidating, but smaller capacity stadium.

does this mean the researchers will have to take thier intimerdation-measuring-gizmo's to every playable team's stadium IRL? i think its too variable, for example, the riverside stadium (middlesboro's ground for all you dummies) is a humble, non-threatening ground on a weekend-to-weekend basis, however if it was to host an FA Cup quarter-final versus it could be the next Anfield.

I think the general idea is good but its going to mean a lot of hardwork from SI's researchers or another highly controversial AI system.

Ye i know its to late for this version obviously but just wanted to gain a few peoples opinion on an idea that popped into my head.

Maybe there could be a hidden setting or something for stadium intimidation...(Go with me on this one) For example fratton park...nobody likes to go there as its a tough place to get points because of the fans and the old style to it...Now part of that is the way Pompey play but maybe there could be a hidden setting out of 20 for "intimidation"...and more fans you get then the higher the setting or something...and could be a media option sayin "its a tough place to visit but i believe we can get three points"...

Any opinions...

there is enough media options i hate getting asked before a game about an ex player playing against me we need no more quetions like that every home game.

I like the idea in principle but (and I never thought I'd say this) Moaner makes a good point. How intimidating a ground is is a pretty subjective thing. I personally consider Fratton Park and Goodison Park to be extremely intimidating and tough places to go. However, I feel the same about Anfield. But how do you code it when the fact is that a side as good as Liverpool will always win the majority of their home games? In other words, how influential is the nature of the ground? Also, somewhere like Craven Cottage has all the ingredients of a tough and intimidating place to go. It's relatively small and the crowd are on top of the pitch. But, to me, it doesn't turn out that way. So it's a tricky area to get into.

Sorry if I've offended any Fulham fans or anyone else. To be fair, if I have, it illustrates my point. It's a subjective thing.

However, in principle, a good idea. Certainly something that I don't consider to be beyond implementing at some point.

Any opinions...

Fratton Park? Intimidating?

Maybe it's because Arsenal and Pompy get on well, or because I spent a year at uni living round the corner from it, but as much as i found it quaint, there was nothing intimidating about an old stadium with no roof over the away fans, where the home fans give your star player a standing ovation...

yeah? and you know im seven years old? you're going to jail.:thdn:

And.....right back into Moaner's usual territory :p

As for the idea, I like it in a way, IRL there are some places which are daunting to go to, some even are as a supporter, so I guess in the whole realism thing, it makes sense to include something like this in the game,

Personally,can't see how it would work though, like Moaner said, there are way too many variables to be taken into account, plus different people and different teams will be more intimidated by their rivals stadiums, so I think the logistics of it are a bit of a nightmare tbh

There is already a stat for hardcore fans, it would make sense that this would be related to a sort of intimidation factor anyway. Of course it shouldn't be given too much weighting and be quite flexible or it just becomes a general advantage of well known teams. If you tried to take an unknown side up it clearly won't have been entered as being a tough place to play and you would be at a constant disadvantage.

There is already a stat for hardcore fans, it would make sense that this would be related to a sort of intimidation factor anyway. Of course it shouldn't be given too much weighting and be quite flexible or it just becomes a general advantage of well known teams. If you tried to take an unknown side up it clearly won't have been entered as being a tough place to play and you would be at a constant disadvantage.

The hardcore fans stat currently makes no impact on the game. It is in the editor with the possibility of use in future games I assume.

I do think that the game needs to find some way of understanding when your team is away at a place that is well-known for being difficult to go to and get a result. But I still can't shake off the feeling that it could all go wrong. I mean, imagine if Team A was playing in League Two in England. They're known for having a ground that other teams find intimidating. But the thing is, imagine if they kept getting promoted. Would the intimidation factor reduce slightly with each promotion? My point is that, by the time they got to the Premier League, the fact League Two sides found their ground intimidating would probably be irrelevant. I'm fairly sure Chelsea and Man. United (most times) would still go there and win with relative ease.

But then I also think about something that happened to my England team recently. We drew 1-1 away to Turkey in a Euro 2012 qualifier. Well, I personally think that it was a creditable performance. We all know that playing away to Turkey can be very intimidating. However, the fans were 'very disappointed'. I suppose they are England fans and we know all about their fickleness. But still, I just don't feel that the game paid any attention at all to how difficult it can be to get a result away to Turkey.

That's just an example of why I think the OP's idea is a good one.

It also doesn't work because let's say someone refers to "Fortress Old Trafford". Which isn't really intimidating at all, it's just a good team (spit).

But if it's a scale of 1-20 then Galatasary or Fenerbahce should be 20 and everyone compared to that.

And that's without taking into account the things like the San Siro. Might be tough to play in but the game would treat the Milan derby as having an away team.

Or of course that certain stadiums aren't tough to play at for some teams, but really difficult for their rivals.

Or that FM never increases certain data when you get promoted. So the Raymond McEnhill Stadium might not be intimidating now, but in 30 years time....

So I'll vote nay, nay and thrice nay.

VB

It is a good idea but would be too hard to implement. But if SI could find a way to make the Stadium of Light (the loudest stadium in the league - official) harder for away teams to play at and to give SAFC a slight advantage (more vocal crowd) and disadvantage (pressure on players - if they have low Important Matches stat they could flop) and for teams such as Fulham (quietest stadium in the league) could have the advantage of a lack of pressure from the home crowd which helps players who do not enjoy big games but the disadvantage that the fans would not get behind them as much (no disrespect to Fulham fans, I mean they Dickson Etuhu off our hands - thanks!)

Archived