The weirdest place you've ever played FM

I guess this is one for laptop owners rather than PCs (though I don't wish to exclude those who've taken their PCs to the toilet!). I'm curious as to what the strangest places are that people have found themselves playing FM. Mine's not very exciting. I was camping not long ago and I took my laptop into the shower with me and played for about five minutes. Then I freaked out about what the steam and heat and humidity might do to my laptop, and shut it down post haste!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

physically playing the game, ive never managed to get anywhere other than sat at a computer desk... mentally playing the game though, thats a whole new ball game.. so to speak... ;):D

I saw someone playing it at a bar once. He was alone, it was the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday, and he had his blue-white-and-black Inter scarf laid out on the table. I can only assume he was hoping for success in Italy as he played all afternoon.

on days i know i'll be working later than everyone else, and will have to lock up the office, the minute the last person says goodbye out comes the laptop! so my exact answer would be the top floor of a polish centre!

EDIT: polish as in nationality, i don't work for a shoe-shine company :)

the bath i guess using planks of wood as a makeshift table lol. I must admit i would like to know how u managed to play in the shower as surely there would be some form of splashback...

There was a small seat set back far enough to avoid splashback. I turned round from under the cascading water and crouched over in order to play. Like I said, it only lasted five minutes. I couldn't have continued that charade on any longer.

on days i know i'll be working later than everyone else, and will have to lock up the office, the minute the last person says goodbye out comes the laptop! so my exact answer would be the top floor of a polish centre!

EDIT: polish as in nationality, i don't work for a shoe-shine company :)

What happens in a Polish centre?

What happens in a Polish centre?

tbh i'm not sure, we just rent out a room so have no polish connections whatsoever. i think a load of veterans come here, but i don't know what they do, and there's a few cafe's, a gallery. I think it's just a centre for the polish community.

thinking about it, it's nowhere near as weird as Tabriz, i've heard some crazy s*** about that place!

my cousin plays it regulaly in the helmand province, afghanistan. apparently there was such a demand for it among the lads that the bosses caved in and shipped a couple of copies in to be played on the laptops normally used for sending home emails etc

my cousin plays it regulaly in the helmand province, afghanistan. apparently there was such a demand for it among the lads that the bosses caved in and shipped a couple of copies in to be played on the laptops normally used for sending home emails etc

That's awesome!

There was a small seat set back far enough to avoid splashback. I turned round from under the cascading water and crouched over in order to play. Like I said, it only lasted five minutes. I couldn't have continued that charade on any longer.

haha well i applaud your commitment even if it was only for five minutes.

I don't know if its still hanging around in these forums but does anyone remember the story of the guy who broke both his legs in a car crash because he was playing FM whilst driving. I think thats what happened anyway, but yeh gutted for him lol.

I don't know if its still hanging around in these forums but does anyone remember the story of the guy who broke both his legs in a car crash because he was playing FM whilst driving. I think thats what happened anyway, but yeh gutted for him lol.

I remember that well. I think it was bomjr, but I could be mistaken. Poor guy. I can't decide if he was just extremely committed or extremely daft. But I think it had a very sobering effect on the guy (as it would). Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I think it harmed his relationship with the game.

i remember hearing that story now you have bought it up. didn't he miss a red light?

I've played in a pub, to work through the dead time between Euro group-stage matches .. too early to concentrate on drinking in the States, and no mates who were into footie, so. :D No Inter scarf, though.

Other than that: coffee shop, restaurant, on the toilet while ... well, you get the picture.

But my worst idea was playing it in the car. While driving. :D

On board the ferry between Faroe Islands and Denmark.. Was all alone in the CLOSED cafeteria for 15-20 hours. Think it was 99/00 or 00/01.. Played on my new and flashy 200mzh, 1mb on-board graphicscard and 1,1gb harddrive.. :D

On board the ferry between Faroe Islands and Denmark.. Was all alone in the CLOSED cafeteria for 15-20 hours. Think it was 99/00 or 00/01.. Played on my new and flashy 200mzh, 1mb on-board graphicscard and 1,1gb harddrive.. :D

For some reason, I really like this one. Possibly because I can relate. I spent a grim night alone on a ferry between Belfast and Birkenhead while everyone else was asleep. Except I was laptop-less. :(

the bath i guess using planks of wood as a makeshift table lol. I must admit i would like to know how u managed to play in the shower as surely there would be some form of splashback...

i would never play in the bath knowing me my team would play **** and i would crack up i used to punch my old computer just underneath the screen if i lost and my team played so **** that it made me mad i hate playing great then watching your players play **** it makes me mad.my new computer is thinner so it would break if i did that but now and again i bang the computer desk so inj the bath i would no dought get shocked to death as i would end up knocking the laptop in the water.

i would never play in the bath knowing me my team would play **** and i would crack up i used to punch my old computer just underneath the screen if i lost and my team played so **** that it made me mad i hate playing great then watching your players play **** it makes me mad.my new computer is thinner so it would break if i did that but now and again i bang the computer desk so inj the bath i would no dought get shocked to death as i would end up knocking the laptop in the water.

that made me laugh purly because i imagined an angry geordie smashing his house up...the geordie accent shows god does have a humerous side.:thup:

I like this thread, cos you can think about when and where you've played it...almost like where you would take a girlfriend on a date...

So, many a bus and train journey, waiting in airports (finding a plug was a nightmare at one point), in bars and cafés, classes at uni, in the garden, in the bath, in bed, in the car (not driving), during parties. Probably the weirdest one was when i was going home for the weekend on the bus (not a fantastic place) and it was a Friday night so the bus was packed. I sat beside this guy a little older than myself, and when we got on the motorway, at the exact same time got out our lap-tops and played FM08. Well, there was pandemonium i tell you all, 2 and a half hours discussing players, tactics and 4-2-4's, both batteries run out, possibly one of the most blissful moments of our lives. gay, but true, and i wouldn't change those moments for anything...maybe a free Fm09...

I guess this is one for laptop owners rather than PCs (though I don't wish to exclude those who've taken their PCs to the toilet!). I'm curious as to what the strangest places are that people have found themselves playing FM. Mine's not very exciting. I was camping not long ago and I took my laptop into the shower with me and played for about five minutes. Then I freaked out about what the steam and heat and humidity might do to my laptop, and shut it down post haste!

how does one play with a laptop in a shower?????????? doesnt it get a bit wet and explode?? ;)

lol..this thread is cool...for me..ive played in my car..as a paasenger of corse,..in the toilet..and the weirdest was probably in class when a lesson was goin on..i was bored..so i jus played my cl match..many ppl were surprised..but i carried on playin and i won the game..lol

As i used to travel a lot with a previous job i've played in approx. 20 countries, and over many oceans.

my favourite (and most peaceful out-of-home game) was on an Airbus 320 at the {city name deleted for legal reason} airport. The plane was empty and as I worked for {airoplane company deleted for reasons of getting my ass sued} I went down to the baggage handling area, up on to the plane, and pulled out the laptop!!

Really didn't feel like working through my lunch break that day! My gf at the time was a flight attendant so she came and got me when they were planning on doing the pre-flight inspection!

Ah, playing FM while breaking the law!

Archived