Seven times in my last five games...

Either one of my or an AI fullback has played a long back-pass inboard from the flank that is intercepted by an opposition striker just before it gets to the keeper. This happens quite regularly on 8.0.2 to the point where it's far more than just a freak occurrence (reminds me of an unpatched FM06 when fullbacks would literally cross back into their own box for an opp striker to head home). Would have happened 15-20 times in my current save of nearly two seasons, and plenty more in other saves on 8.0.2.

How was a fundamental flaw like this not picked up in testing?

Seems strange because i've seen it happen twice in 15 seasons on my game.

It's probably something to do with the settings I give fullbacks, but I can't for the life of me figure out what or why the AI does it (I've benefited from it more than I've suffered, but it is bizarre).

But it's really strange because I don't even know how you could set your full backs in such a way that this would happen, so that elads me to believe that it is a flaw in the game, but then again I haven't experienced it so it probably isn't a flaw :confused:

Involving the goalkeeper in play does seem to be something you can't have much control over - even when I play an attacking setup like I usually do. I've seen my goalkeeper do all sorts of stupid things and am constantly screaming at my outfield players not to play the ball back to the freakin' 'keeper. It's not so much that he makes a howler and concedes a goal, although he's done that a few times, but his distribution is so crap he usually either boots it straight into the stands or aims for the head of his smallest team-mate, thus allowing the opposition to thunder a header back down the pitch and their quick striker to get in behind my perplexed defence who, just seconds earlier thought they had safely played the ball to their 'keeper, and they then score :mad:

From what I see, it only happens to rubbish players when up against fast strikers, although I've seen slow strikers do exactly the same.

It's not an uncommon mistake, though. It does happen quite often in the lower leagues, although it takes Titus Bramble to do it in the Premiership.

Rarely happens in EPL but happened all the time in my AFC Wimbledon game, was relativly even in terms of it happening in your favour or against you until l2 where it only seemed to happen to me :(, my team still do it quite a bit in TC, costs about 10 goals a season :@

Ive had this happen, but not to the extent of the OP.

I can't complain too much, as I won a game 2-1 that I got dominated in to make the playoffs and both goals came from the AI fullback passing back to the keeper and intercepting them. I just find it annoying as one of the first things you're taught as a defender is not to pass across goal, especially to your keeper. Fullbacks don't put the ball out nearly enough and when they do it's when they have other options.

Happened to me in my England save.

5 minutes to go in the quarters of WC2010 (against Portugal) Ashley Cole inexplicably passes the ball across his own box with no-one but a striker within 20 yards, who then goes and rounds the keeper.

He was quickly dropped from the National Pool :D

Hardly noticed it. Happens maybe a couple of times a season. Think you've either got a poor decision maker or you're exaggerating with the frequency. If it's the former and the same guy each time, discipline him for poor performance next time.

The AI actually does it more than my players.

Either one of my or an AI fullback has played a long back-pass inboard from the flank that is intercepted by an opposition striker just before it gets to the keeper. This happens quite regularly on 8.0.2 to the point where it's far more than just a freak occurrence (reminds me of an unpatched FM06 when fullbacks would literally cross back into their own box for an opp striker to head home). Would have happened 15-20 times in my current save of nearly two seasons, and plenty more in other saves on 8.0.2.

How was a fundamental flaw like this not picked up in testing?

I've seen this recently myself.

You could report this as a bug in the Bugs forum and upload the pkm.

Archived