Is this the end?

I started a game as Crewe although I support Sunderland IRL I live near to Crewe and go to all their home games. So I have taken the club from my first game a 2-1 home defeat to Yeovil on a rainy August afternoon. To a 1-0 win over Valencia in the champions league final. It has taken me until 2016-2017 season to win the premier league, then the following year my mighty Crewe defeated all comers to win the prem, Fa Cup, League Cup and Champions League. The team has moved to a new ground which is a 40k all seater stadium due to be boosted to 48k very soon. I have a team of world class regens and some aging stars that are not regens. I realise all this story is not really nessarcery but I am bored as the missus is at work and I want to give a little background. So now I have won everything I have lost some of the desire I had to continue the most fun game I have had on FM.

I have tried to start as a couple of teams my beloved Sunderland but its too easy in that all trophies are winable within a couple of seasons. Falkirk its too boring as I do not know who to sign. Shakhtar the domestic league is too easy and I lost my desire to continue this save. My other saves are just boring compared to how much I enjoyed taking Crewe to the top.

So is this the end of my FM08 experiences. On FM07 I have a great game as ADESG in Brazil but on FM08 they only have 7 first team players so not sure about having a go there as that seems too hard.

Any suggestions on how to revive my interest I had a look at the Dafuge challenge and Gundos but I hate playing the game with attributes hidden it really does my head in. Do I start in some weird country or a lowest league team in sunny England or what. Any suggestions on what to do?

I am so bored I am even watching Jeremy Kyle please help me.

I've enjoyed reading about you're Crewe game it's inspired me to start a game in League One, although with Brighton (I couldn't be Crewe for reasons I'm ashamed to go into)... Why not continue the save? If you've built up Crewe to a super power, leave and topple them with another club? Or drop down another level and try and do something similar from League Two in a new save...

After a game like that though, I imagine you may need a break from FM (only for a few hours...).

**** off Jeremy Kyle is amazing! I wish I was at home watching now, who's on? Oohh I hope it's a lie detector special...

Why don't you quit as Crewe boss and move in to National management with a home nation that isn't England? I took my beloved Northern Ireland to the European Championships Final and the World Cup Semi-Final. (Admittedly I did own most of the side but when I quit my job and was replaced by Steve Coppell, Corry Evans was moved to the reserves and replaced by Steve Sidwell)

Alternatively, move to a lower league or non-league side and try to repeat your glory with them: it should be easier given that your reputation will be much higher and players will be keen to join you.

It's not the end, it's just the beginning!!

Sunderland but its too easy in that all trophies are winable within a couple of seasons. Falkirk its too boring as I do not know who to sign

From reading that it sounds like you find Sunderland too easy because you sign the same old players, but can't be bothered to search for new players to sign when at Falkirk! That is what scouts are for! I'd find it boring too if I just bought the same old tried and tested players that I knew would do a job for me.

Try managing in Norway...then you really won't know who to sign :p

Might start a game as another local team Wrexham is near me would be a bit of a challenge, I think the nearest lower league club is Stockport unless AFC Telford are playable. Sunderland get so much money you can sign any decent player you want even when varied its easy. I suppose I dont know many decent players for teams in lower european leagues. Also I am a bit lazy too lol.

I was thinking of playing as that team that nearly beat Man City. Anyone know any leagues that have no player restrictions? I am guessing Brazil or Conference south or north is my next stop.

Alternatively, move to a lower league or non-league side and try to repeat your glory with them: it should be easier given that your reputation will be much higher and players will be keen to join you.

That's sometimes not possible, as many very small clubs will reject an application because they believe "they can't afford your expected wage demands".

You can still try, and you may be offered a job in L2 or lower, but there's always abroad to consider too, moving overseas would involve mastering a different mindset in football playing culture (either yours as you try to adapt, or thiers as you force them to play your way :p)

I hit a bit of a wall in my game a couple of months ago and started various new games that never really took off. So I just left the game to the side for about 3 weeks and played Lego Indiana Jones instead (which rules btw) when I went back to my old save it felt like a new game :)

Once the football season (the European one, anyway) is over in real life, I can't start new games. I just can't. Especially when all promotion and relegation issues are resolved. It's just my nature. Fortunately, I've had a save going for a while now that I've been really enjoying. So I'm just keeping that going until FM09 comes out.

Alternatively, move to a lower league or non-league side...

Non-league side? Can you apply to be the manager of a team that isn't in an active league? If so, how do you do it?

(I accidentally ended up managing a non-league Italian team once - I accepted a job for a team that had just been relegated out of the lowest active Italian league. When that next season rolled around, I noticed I had no games scheduled. I would have to play all friendlies and had no league income. Tough spot. Maybe this was just a bug, though.)

I start up loads of savegames that never get past pre-season. It's a bit hit and miss which ones do and even amongst those I've not had many in FM08 go beyond the first season. I managed to get really into a Hibernian game with a really young team, but the collapse at the end of our second season was so soul destroying that I haven't played that game for quite a while (just a few games into 3rd season and already looking like 3rd place is best we can hope for yet again). I almost reached the end of my first season at Scunthorpe and will no doubt return to that savegame at some point, but that is the only English game that I have started (or rather got past first pre-season in) in the whole course of FM08.

Funnily enough the one savegame that really caught my imagination in FM08 was one in which I am managing 2 teams, one I used to love managing back in CM01/02 days (Fiorentina), but have never really managed much since and one that I have started games with in the last few versions, but never got fully into (Werder Bremen). This time though that game just really took off and I am into my 4th season (I'm not one of those who races through a season in a day so it has taken me a while, esp. since I watch most Bremen games in full match mode).

Recently I have got itchy feet again though with FM - not able to get into any game so have fired off numerous new savegames that get abandoned in first pre-season after I have a flash of excitement to manage a certain team, excitement which lasts all of an hour before vanishing! Like Nomis07 I've ended up getting very into some of my other games over the last week or so instead. They are all games that I can get hooked on for maybe a couple of weeks, but then don't want to play any more for a few months though - only FM can keep me interested for months on end, but even that has its limits, esp with the various frustrations of FM08

Non-league side? Can you apply to be the manager of a team that isn't in an active league? If so, how do you do it?

(I accidentally ended up managing a non-league Italian team once - I accepted a job for a team that had just been relegated out of the lowest active Italian league. When that next season rolled around, I noticed I had no games scheduled. I would have to play all friendlies and had no league income. Tough spot. Maybe this was just a bug, though.)

As far as I'm aware you get automaticallly sacked if you get relegated out of the lowest active league...or at least you should.

I assume the distinction above was between the league and the Conference or BSN/BSS which are non-league, but still active leagues.

As far as I'm aware you get automaticallly sacked if you get relegated out of the lowest active league...or at least you should.

I always thought that, too. Apparently, it must be a bug for me to end up coaching a team who wasn't in an active league. I abandoned that shortly, as it wasn't fun to playing week after week of friendlies.

You do automatically get sacked. I almost ruined my save (but luckily had a backup) when I arranged to join Everton at the end of the season, they then went on an awful run and got relegated. Unfortunately I couldn't do anything about my new contract and moved to Everton for one day before the game updated to take them out of the Premier League and I got sacked :D

Might start a game as another local team Wrexham is near me would be a bit of a challenge, I think the nearest lower league club is Stockport

I'm from Stockport :D I got a game with them going atm, in the championship so far, promoted twice, going for prem soon. It's so much fun, there's nothing more satisfying than winning with your local team, makes me so proud :D

I'm from Stockport :D I got a game with them going atm, in the championship so far, promoted twice, going for prem soon. It's so much fun, there's nothing more satisfying than winning with your local team, makes me so proud :D

Unfortunately for me I'm from Central London. My local teams are Arsenal and Chelsea.

So when I want lower league football I have to be more imaginative!:p

I doubt I would find Argentina easy I suppose because of the money you get the prem is easy now Crewe are loaded obviously its easier to win. Might go for a non-league english team or ADESG in Brazil with their mighty squad of 6 players lol. My uncle lives in Stockport so might give them ago.

You can't manage a team that is relegated and moved in a league that it's unplayable or if the team gets relegated out of the lowest active league.After a few months you are sacked and the team hires a new manager.I have done it with Siena(they were relegated and only seria A was playable)and when the new season started i got fired.:D

Archived