Nationality declaration question

If a player plays for the X Under-21s, but has Y as a second (or third, or whatever) nationality, is he still eligible to play for the Y national team?

One of my youngsters seems to be waiting for an England call-up and seems to have rejected calls for the Irish national team (he's by far their best winger - to me, he's the best English winger too!) - but is playing for the Irish Under-21s (making a mockery of the opposition, too: Think Bojan for the Spanish Under-21s). I thought this was the case - but he's still not been called up for England yet, and looking at the opposition for right-wing spot for England, I don't know why he hasn't at least been brought into the squad as backup.

Yes, he is still eligible to play for your national team.

When you try to move him to the Irish senior squad does it say that he "cannot be moved to the senior squad at this time" or something similar? For some reason you're not able to move U21s to the senior squad in FM08, maybe it's a bug, but I'm not sure.

Or if it says that he "rejected a callup" this is probably because he is holding out for an England callup.

Hope that helps :)

Yes, he is still eligible to play for your national team.

When you try to move him to the Irish senior squad does it say that he "cannot be moved to the senior squad at this time" or something similar? For some reason you're not able to move U21s to the senior squad in FM08, maybe it's a bug, but I'm not sure.

Or if it says that he "rejected a callup" this is probably because he is holding out for an England callup.

Hope that helps :)

I'm not controlling either national team - I'm only in charge of Triestina.

His International status used to say, "Feels he wants to wait for a chance with England" but it flutters between that and "Happy to be part of the Republic of Ireland Under-21s setup" depending on International fixtures - I don't see the former any more. though.

I'm not controlling either national team - I'm only in charge of Triestina.

His International status used to say, "Feels he wants to wait for a chance with England" but it flutters between that and "Happy to be part of the Republic of Ireland Under-21s setup" depending on International fixtures - I don't see the former any more. though.

Take control of England and try to call him up and see what happens.

Take control of England and try to call him up and see what happens.

Now why didn't I think of that. :p

If he's still eligible, and still waiting, I might even witness a "Lee Bannister", which is a very Italian name, playing for Italy, too! He's half-a-year away from Italian citizenship and if he's still not called up for England, might opt for Italy instead.

I'll try it when I get home.

Archived