What's the most unique league to play?

Brazil

We have both state and national leagues and a national cup.

Brazilian teams aren't as rich a Euro ones and the foreign players limit on the pitch is 3, so you have to develop players if you want to succeed.

Fwiw Navie, I'm English but some (if not all) of my most enjoyable games have been outside of the EPL. SOme of my favourite games have included Olympiakos, Anderlecht, Braga, Roda, AZ, and Hertha amongst others.

Couldn't agree more, I too am English and I have had many games with Italian, Dutch, Swedish etc. clubs and immensely enjoyed them

Seems to me that Navie is putting across a very narrowminded POV here, one that I am fairly sure is not shared by the majority of English people on here

PMLF, does clubs compete in both a state and national league? Who do you play as?

They compete in both (the state league from January to May and the national league from May to December) and I usually manage Flamengo, which is the team I support.

They compete in both (the state league from January to May and the national league from May to December) and I usually manage Flamengo, which is the team I support.

Forgive my ignorance here, Brazil is one of the few countries I haven't ventured into manangement in,

What is the difference between the 2 leagues? Are they both of the same status or is one more highly prized that the other?

Couldn't agree more, I too am English and I have had many games with Italian, Dutch, Swedish etc. clubs and immensely enjoyed them

Seems to me that Navie is putting across a very narrowminded POV here, one that I am fairly sure is not shared by the majority of English people on here

Just reminded me of a brilliant game i had in 07 with Vasalund/Essing i took over with about 7games to go they were rock bottom, and 5 points a drift from safety. Managed to keep them up before successive promotions. I left to join Copenhagen, got sacked there after half a season.

Forgive my ignorance here, Brazil is one of the few countries I haven't ventured into manangement in,

What is the difference between the 2 leagues? Are they both of the same status or is one more highly prized that the other?

The State and the National Leagues are different pyramids. So, in real life you can be in the state league's 2nd division and at the national league first division, as one league does not affect your status in the other league.

Each state has its own league with lower levels too (which aren't in FM). The best teams from each state qualify for the next year's Brazilian Cup.

The National League is played by the best teams from the whole country. The 4 best teams from the national league qualify for Copa Libertadores along with the Brazilian Cup winners.

The national league is more prized, but the state leagues are very important in some states, as their teams aren't good enough to reach the top levels of the national pyramid. Also, the state leagues are very traditional as they started to be played long ago (ex: The São Paulo State League started in 1902, the Rio de Janeiro one in 1906, etc...) while th National League started in 1971.

The State and the National Leagues are different pyramids. So, in real life you can be in the state league's 2nd division and at the national league first division, as one league does not affect your status in the other league.

Each state has its own league with lower levels too (which aren't in FM). The best teams from each state qualify for the next year's Brazilian Cup.

The National League is played by the best teams from the whole country. The 4 best teams from the national league qualify for Copa Libertadores along with the Brazilian Cup winners.

The national league is more prized, but the state leagues are very important in some states, as their teams aren't good enough to reach the top levels of the national pyramid. Also, the state leagues are very traditional as they started to be played long ago (ex: The São Paulo State League started in 1902, the Rio de Janeiro one in 1906, etc...) while th National League started in 1971.

Excellent info, thanks very much! Sounds quite interesting actually, might give a game in a Brazil a go whilst I am waiting for FM09, thanks again for your reply mate

I think I'll give Brazil a try too, PMLF. Thanks. I usually like playing as a lower league/small club... any suggestions? I might try Flamengo though.

I think I tried A-League before, but I don't like just the one little league. Same reason I don't like playing MLS.

Flamengo is interesting because it's not too strong (like say São Paulo), nor too weak and is good at youth development.

Don't worry about me, I was just trying to wind someone up, I know there are good leagues to play in, Brazil and Spanish league are good, oh Italian too.

I'm not really looking for "good league". I've always played my games in England. I was just looking for a league that might offer something a little different then a basic pyramid system. I loaded Indonesia one time (out of curiousity), and it had a first phase with two different prem divisions, and then a second phase between the top teams from both. I think? I didn't actually play it, as it is Indonesia.

PMLF, I just loaded Brazil, and I am looking at Flamengo in the state league. There are two groups in an opening stage, and it says there is a closing stage. What is the closing stage? Sorry to ask you so many questions. I guess I should just get it and see what happens. :)

I've just done exactly the same, although, I seem to have a little more patience than yourself as I was just going to wait and see what it was all about :p

PMLF, I just loaded Brazil, and I am looking at Flamengo in the state league. There are two groups in an opening stage, and it says there is a closing stage. What is the closing stage? Sorry to ask you so many questions. I guess I should just get it and see what happens. :)

Opening stage - the teams play against each other within their groups, top two from each group qualify for the Opening semis.

Closing stage - the teams from one group play against the teams from the other group, top two from each group qualify for the Closing semis.

The winner of the Opening stage (called Taça Guanabara in real life) play the final against the winner of the Closing Stage (called Taça Rio in real life).

A league

salary cap, limit of foreign players, semi finals to get to grand finals at the end of the season, pretty unique

I agree, it is unique. Sounds a lot like MLS. :) Salary cap, senior internationals, youth internationals, development players, designated players (don't count against salary cap), player draft, playoffs...

I've always played the argentine league, up to 2027 I've won like 28 titles, they're short tournaments, including 24 in a row, this is without cheating too since I'm on mac and have waited to no avail the release of FM08SX =(

It's cool because I've taken River to be the richest team in the world and even sold my worldclass goalie developed in the youth ranks for 58 million euro to Roma, by far the bggest transfer i've seen in the game!!

By the way, if you win both stages, there won't be a final as it won't be necessary.

This rule screwed me over when I was managing Vera Cruz.

I won the Pernambuco State Championship four times in a row, but in three of them there was no final so the game didn't recognise it as a league win in my manager stats, and the board and fans didn't get excited about it or anything. :(

I agree, it is unique. Sounds a lot like MLS. :) Salary cap, senior internationals, youth internationals, development players, designated players (don't count against salary cap), player draft, playoffs...

The A-League is quite different to the MLS.

We don't seperate our Internationals, there are no development players and we don't have a draft.

We do have a salary cap, a player number cap, and a marquee (designated) player.

In fact, the MLS got the idea of a player outside the cap from Australia.

The big down side is that you play the same 7 teams over and over again!!

Bring on 2009/2010 where we will have a 10 team comp (hopefully 12 by 2011/2012)

Like eat something you've never tried before and fall ill, die etc?

You're wasting your life's limited time on being a knob. I suggest seeking alternative, more constructive, activities.

To respond to the original question, I'd add my name in the Brazil camp. To me, the south american and scandinavian leagues are different due to the time their season takes place.

for some LLM'ing, try turkish second division (tier 3). most enjoyable promotion is there.

in the beginning, there are 5 groups of 12 teams. everybody plays twice in the first half of the season (22 games). then, the top 2 teams of each group form a "playoff group" for the second half of the season. those 10 teams start from 0 points, and play with each other twice (18 games). Meanwhile the remaining 50 teams in 5 groups play with each other (in the same group of course) again (18 games) but the points they got in the first half carries on (they do not start from 0 points again).

When the league is finished (40 games for every team), top 2 teams of the playoff group get promoted. 3rd, 4th and 5th teams of the playoff group plus the winner of the each 5 groups (8 teams total) go to playoffs (knockout stage) on neutral ground for the last promotion place. one game, if draw extra time, if draw penalties.

The bottom 2 teams of each normal group (10 teams) get relegated.

the excitement never ends :D

I would have to say the Brazilian league is the most unique one I have played in. I cant believe some thinks just because they are English they should just play in England, then again this is the person who said they only play as Man Utd and were bored of contanstanly winning the league so its not hat supriseing really.

I played as a lower league team called ADESG in Brazil on FM07 and it was great although on FM08 they only have like 6 players and are already over the wage budget so it looks too hard for me.

For the people that play in Brazil is there any limit on loaned players?

I would have to say the Brazilian league is the most unique one I have played in. I cant believe some thinks just because they are English they should just play in England, then again this is the person who said they only play as Man Utd and were bored of contanstanly winning the league so its not hat supriseing really.

I played as a lower league team called ADESG in Brazil on FM07 and it was great although on FM08 they only have like 6 players and are already over the wage budget so it looks too hard for me.

For the people that play in Brazil is there any limit on loaned players?

There is no limit on loaned players.

Archived