Should we be able to set our own Match Ratings

This idea is kind of linked to another thread recently posted on here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=41043

But my idea (or question) rather is should we, as the manager, be able to set our own Match Ratings for our players so we can judge them on our own rather than have the computer decide for us. Say for example, Player A had a good game, 7/10. As they often say, Football is a game of opinions but this doesn't allow for us to make that opinion. I'm often disagreeing with other fans and even top TV pundits comments and ratings in real life and maybe this game should reflect that as well? Loads of times a certain player has stood out for me whereas a friend of mine might've not really noticed him or even thought he had a shocker.

I just think it would be a good feature to have in the game and could be linked to the team talk option.

I also think it's something that should maybe be optional to the manager and should be a setting that can be switched off. In my opinion, this is the way forward for Football Manager. It needs to be about setting it so every save game and every manager on FM is different and has their own unique way of going about things. For instance, I might want to give my team talk in a completely different way to how someone else would. I might want to analyse in depth the performance of each player or the team whereas someone else may want to just say a quick word or two to the team and that's it.

This is just a rough idea of something I've been thinking about recently about Football Manager and where the series needs to go in the future. I just think that the game needs to be unique and so many things can be different. Think of FM 2008 as a 2D square and the next few years need to start expanding the box into a 3D cube, with so many more possibilities and far more space to explore.

Any thoughts or further ideas anyone or am I just getting a little too complex here?

I don't really see how setting your own match rating can work tbh. It is just too open to abuse and would IMO result in a worse indicator of how a player is doing than the current way. Especially if people are only watching key highlights or even text commentary. Yes, there could be an option as to whether people use it or not but IMO most would choose not to as so it would be a waste of SI's time. The match ratings do need more improvement though and I do agree that the needs to be more variety in the game to make it an individual experience for every gamer.

Player ratings are linked to reputation.

Player ratings are linked to value.

Player ratings are linked to awards.

Player ratings are linked to staff judgements on a player.

Player ratings are linked to morale.

Player ratings are linked to team talks.

Player ratings are linked to media interaction with the player re his form.

It has to be hard coded and analytical for the code to 'make decisions'. Someone who writes the code has to ultimately decide how a rating is assigned and do so in consideration of it's knock on effects in other modules as listed (there's probably others but they escape me at the minute). So it's not just a case of you wanting to give ratings based on what you feel they deserve.

I've definitely had a player recently who I personally had noticed busting tail to get involved, going in committed in his tackles, winning the ball, etc .. thought he'd had a great game and was shocked when he only got a "7".

Told him I was "Pleased" anyways - I figure if the game is accurate enough, he'll appreciate the fact that I noticed how much effort he'd given. ;)

I certainly wouldn't want to give a rating to every player every match, but for that one player I'd have shaded him to an "8" if I had the opportunity to.

I don't think that giving a player a match rating based on how you think he did is a great idea tbh, could lead to a whole load of discrepancies in the DB, however, I would like better options to tell a player or the media, that he played a blinder or that he played like a blind man, to me, the team talks lack a little in the fact that you are limited to only a few options after every game, would like more options there, and as for the media interaction, IMO it is poor at the best of times but the ability to let the media know how you feel about a players performance in a specific match is limited only to the odd occasion and that gets to me, would like the option to say that he made the difference for my team or something

Archived