Is supply and demand pricing the real fans out of football?

Would you pay £300 to be a part of history?

I'll set the scene.

AFC Bournemouth are a team starved of top class football.

They have spent a grand total of 1 season ever in the top flight, and that was 40 years ago.

This season is no different, with the club entering it's 18th successive season in the Championship.

However this season is a little different.

With last season's shock FA cup victory, the club gained entry into uncharted waters.

The 2075/76 season would be their first ever forray into European football.

The draw had not been kind to the small team from the south coast of England.

To qualify for the group stages, they would first have to overcome the (literally) limitless spending power of Italian giants AC Milan.

Defending a slender 2-1 lead from the first leg, a carnival almosphere swept the town, as they prepared to take on the Italian superclub for their first ever european home game.

The stadium was packed to the rafters, and in reality, this is a game they could have sold out many times over.

After all, the Fitness First Stadium holds less than 10,000 fans.

But what price would the lucky few have to pay to witness history in the making?

Well it turns out I've done my sums wrong, and it's £30, not £300, but i've written the story now, so i'm going to post it anyway.

Which is a bargain really, Milan are a huge team even without the history.

Our record gate reciepts

Our tiny sell-out crowd

Only 4347 showed up to our next game, at home to Port Vale - Damn gloryseekers!

In 68 years the stadium has only been increased to ca 10000?

What sort of football are you playing to only get a crowd of 4347 to a championship match after spending 18 years in that division!

The stadium hasn't been increased at all - 9686 is the size it started off at.

I've only been at the club 3 years, I hope to get it expanded next year.

To be fair every other league match has been a sell out - so it might just be to do with everyone having to fork out on the thursday.

Then again, it might not - Port Vale was the lowest attendance last year too...

Southampton have been doing rather well in the Premiership, and in Europe too, so they could be taking away a lot of my natural fanbase...

Archived