Opposition Instructions with a twist?

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Now I'm not very good at FM08 but I've kept playing it in the vain hope that I'll start winning and this hasn't really happened but I've managed to get Charlton into the Premiership and just about survived my first year in the Premiership. So in my second season I just want a little bit of improvement and have marked my away form as the area in which to improve (cam bottom of that particular form table last season). When your crap every point matters, so picture the scene:

Away to Everton who are odds on to beat you. You've completely nullified their attack, but haven't threatened too much yourself but that's okay a point is what I'm after. 60mins gone and everything is going to plan until I notice Everton making a sub. I spring into action and hit the tactics button and go into opposition instructions and give the subbed player my usual winger instructions.

10mins later and we are still 'making changes'. Then the screen changes to the match, the subbed player scores! I'm feeling a little sore and cheated at this point, I'm not changing a player I just want to shout onto the pitch that maybe someone should mark that guy. Anyway we play on and a couple mins later it switches back to the pitch and they've got the ball. Then I notice that subbed player has been moved to the center! My midfield rush to close him down, leaving all sorts of gaps in the team and Everton score a second. I give up and now I cannot be bothered to make any changes, this isn't fun for me and we lose the game 4-0.

Now my suggestion to help get round this would be to add a Opposition Position Instructions to the game. I'm sure I'm not the only person that sets Opposition Instructions based on the position that player is playing. This way if the computer makes a sub I don't have to then react every bloody time and I don't get caught out by the 10 min window that the player has to cause havoc with players.

What do you lot think?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, if I was to use Opposition ratings, I would like it to be position based to individual player based. However, playing with Arsenal - I don't use it. What's most annoying about it though is that you have to select every player individual at the start of every game... far too much time. Why can't be just be set to "close down" on all attacking players and a select all option to set "show on to weaker foot" for everyone

What'd really be nice is for basic tactical changes to take instant or near instant effect really... Only substitutions or total shakeups of the entire playing style should take a break in play.

could even argue that ONLY substitutions should wait in fact. Anything else can be passed on from the sidelines.

Archived