Football Manager 2009 & Football Manager Handheld info (nearly)

• SI Staff

Dear all

Well, it's that time of year when we're getting ever closer to revealing the new features for our forthcoming Football Manager releases, Football Manager 2009 on PC & Mac, and Football Manager Handheld on PSP. I can confirm that they are both coming, and will both be out before Xmas. And out on the same date too.

As those of you who visit footballmanager.com might have seen, there's a bit of a teaser image up there. Guesses at what it is and why are more than welcome in this thread :o

As for the new features announcements, release date announcement and first look at the packshot, these will be coming in the evening of Wednesday September 3rd. So slightly later than the end of August originally promised but there are very good reasons for this, mainly involving global co-ordination for the announcement, and half of Southern Europe being shut down until next week.

The announcement itself will be in the form of a documentary type thing, made by Remedy Productions who do a lot of work with Channel 4 in the UK mainly on the music side of things. This will be initially viewable from our new You Tube channel, which can be found at www.youtube.co.uk/sigames. The video will be put up there first, and we'll then embed it into the various sigames and FM websites once it's encoded properly, sometime after 6pm next Wednesday, so it's well worth subscribing to the channel if you want to get it first. The documentary is going to be between 15 & 20 minutes long, and include many surprises along the way.

The day afterwards, when we've had some time to type it up, we'll post up some of the features that were discussed in the video for those of you with very short attention spans, or who are just too lazy to watch it. Which will hopefully be no one.

Please note that what we're announcing next Wednesday is not everything new that will be in the games, but a snapshot of some of the new features from the games. There will be further announcements as we get closer to the release date through some blogs (the site of which will be revealed when the first blog happens), the podcast and a few other places too. I'll leave it to others to then find these and post them on the forums here, although around the release of the demo will colate everything together to give as full a feature list as we'll ever give out. We don't want to ruin people's fun finding little things here and there during their game playing!

We look forward to the discussions of what we announce next week, although I'll be late to that party as at the same time as the announcements are going live, I'll be off at some press conference thingy. Just try to keep it constructive please - we hope there will be something for everyone in the announcement, but we can't please everyone all of the time, however hard we try :)

Cheers

Miles

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very cool miles! my birthday is on september 8th so that's a nice present in the run in to that day :D

by what you wrote i can expect some major major news because it looks like you're going all out with this :thup:

che guevara = revolutionary!!!

OH MY GOD...I LOVE SI!!! :D

• SI Staff
Thanks Miles!! This will finally stop the FM09 threads being made all the time (hopefully) :D

If only... Either this thread won't be read, or people will just ask questions in advance of waiting for the announcement

Can it be confirmed that the many issues in the last offered has been fixed? Or have they been ignored ?

ahmufcwafc - see ;)

The announcement that will be made next Wednesday, as described above, will have information about new features. Our new features will normally include other things that have been worked upon during the year, and this year will be no exception. As I also mentioned above we will not be mentioning everything in the initial video, mainly because there's a lot to go through, so therefore blogs and other means will be used to diseminate more information up til release.

Is this going to be on steam? Ill be willing to pay abit more, if i dont have to use the cd! My cd drive is loud as hell lol

We are looking into possible forms of distribution, but nothing is signed as yet.

As for CD drives, it's looking likely that the game will need a DVD drive this year. Nothing confirmed as yet, but we were very close to using the full CD size last year, multiple CD's is not an option unfortunately, and I am 95% sure at this stage that we'll be too big for a CD.

The announcement that will be made next Wednesday, as described above, will have information about new features. Our new features will normally include other things that have been worked upon during the year, and this year will be no exception. As I also mentioned above we will not be mentioning everything in the initial video, mainly because there's a lot to go through, so therefore blogs and other means will be used to diseminate more information up til release.

I wasnt asking about 'new' features. I was asking about persistent problems that were highlighted right at the beginning of FM08 but werent looked at for either patch, the massively flawed transfer system being one of them.

The way you have answered my question disturbs me. Either you are using new features to sell the game and using them to cover over known flaws, or you are merely fixing previous flaws and calling them 'new'.

Ill wait to wednesday nonetheless.

I wasnt asking about 'new' features. I was asking about persistent problems that were highlighted right at the beginning of FM08 but werent looked at for either patch, the massively flawed transfer system being one of them.

The way you have answered my question disturbs me. Either you are using new features to sell the game and using them to cover over known flaws, or you are merely fixing previous flaws and calling them 'new'.

Ill wait to wednesday nonetheless.

Or they have fixed the previous flaws as well as adding new features!

Rubberducky, you know that Miles can't realistically promise that everything you don't like about the game has been altered. You're just trolling.

I dont expect him to promise that everything is fixed. But everyone is aware of issues that plagued the last game and made it less enjoyable and as such one would expect these issues to be looked at, although you can never be sure with big companies. Being the MD of the company Miles will know exactly whats happening and is therefore in a position to comment on the game, hence i ask the question.

However i understand the constraints of announcements, so as i stated i will wait until wednesday.

• SI Staff
I dont expect him to promise that everything is fixed. But everyone is aware of issues that plagued the last game and made it less enjoyable and as such one would expect these issues to be looked at, although you can never be sure with big companies. Being the MD of the company Miles will know exactly whats happening and is therefore in a position to comment on the game, hence i ask the question.

However i understand the constraints of announcements, so as i stated i will wait until wednesday.

/Pedant mode on

We aren't a company, we're a dev studio. Even if we were a company, we aren't a big company.

/Pedant mode off

:)

things would have been fixed but will not make an announcement about the fixes they made to FM08...they will announce new features.

i take the fixes to FM08 as something for granted and that it has been done but they won't go and announce the fixes they made :)

however i have to hand it to SI...they always find a way to raise our level of anticipation and expectation :)

to me revolutionary in FM terms would mean either 3d or else giving you the option to take care of commercial things as well.

however with the Che image they have now raised expecations sky high and seeing as how the announcement is going to take place i'd say we're in for something majestic :D

Great stuff Miles and can't wait to see what SI have up thier sleeves this year. I'm sure the game will be once again the best ever as per usual and have the usual high standards we have been spolied with over the years. Roll on September 3rd! Bring on the demo! And damn it! I back at work on the Wednesday, Wonder if i should take a holiday day that day am sure Sky wont miss me for one day. Hehehe

Cheers Miles & everyone at SI. :thup:

Archived