special moves and teaching

hi everyone,

A thread about the moves which players have and can learn. It seems that regens never ever have any special moves - shoots with power, runs down flank etc etc. This is fine as you can tutor these skills into players. The best example in my game was john bostock at palace, i was able to get him from no moves to having 7. I just want to find out the rules as to how this works.

I recently bought gerrard on a free, (he's 36now!) just so that i could use him to train in the amazing moves that he has. I was able to get him to tutor one player who after 6 months had picked up nothing due to 'personality issues'. I thought fine, i will move onto another youngster but now i cannot seem to get the option to come up anywhere. I do not know why and it is very frustrating. I was hoping the turn that initial kid into a world beater but now I cant make him quite as good :(

so what are the rules for tutoring, why dont regens have any special abilities, and what makes a good tutor and not a dodgy waste of time????

in your case, if Gerrard is not in reserve team and your younster isnt too old to be tutored, but still not have Gerrard as a tutor. I guess you will never able to get Gerrard tutor that guy.

I dont think those ppm is any useful in the game, but I have seen regen pick up ppm when he's getting older (cant be certain on this, could just be a coincident).

i find the moves useful. the one time gerrard actually played for my first team he was spraying passes all over the pitch and scored a trade mark shoot from distance with power. Kalouda who has played for me for ages has a similar ability. THe youngster i wanted to pass this ability onto already has shooting 20 and high passing so was ideal! he isnt too old as he is now being tutored by someone else.

i find the moves useful. the one time gerrard actually played for my first team he was spraying passes all over the pitch and scored a trade mark shoot from distance with power. Kalouda who has played for me for ages has a similar ability. THe youngster i wanted to pass this ability onto already has shooting 20 and high passing so was ideal! he isnt too old as he is now being tutored by someone else.

Kaluda is great! I bought gim for 1.2mil whit my napoli save and after one season he become a wonderkid an he is worth 20 mil!!!

e never was worth that much to me but he is still going strong in my reserves 9 seasons in! he plays about 5 games a season but always seems to score everytime he comes on. Not if i leave him in the side though.

Am i the only person who likes the moves? BTW the tutorer has to be in the first team - gerrard was in my reserves and this was preventing him from teaching. Now he is in my first team he is back teaching.

I like the moves, and especially that tutors can help with the player's hidden mental stats and determination. So if you have a major talent with an attitude problem you can challenge yourself to 'cure' him through tutoring.

I used to love 'winds up players' but I've heard that this isn't implemented in '08?

'rounds keeper'

'shoots with power'

'places shots'

'dictates tempo'

are all very handy. Oh, and my favorite: 'moves into channels'. What attacking player wouldn't want that?

Chengharry do you mean there is a way to look who is available to tutor who without looking on the player interaction screens for everyone?

He did say that, but I don't think that there is such a way. Would be nice to have a tutoring page for the whole team really.

the tutoring could be a great part of the game but most of my best young players do not like being tutored by most of my world slass stars in my side. this is rubbish as in real life they would jump at the chance to work with some of the players i ask them to. instead i end up having many of my best young players having personality differences with my stars. it ruins my long term plans and is totally unrealistic in my opinion.

si need to have a good look at this as it is a big problem.

before anyone asks- yes the players who i have tutoring have the highest levels for influence,play in the same or similar positions to the tutored players and are usually world stars. so no reason for it not to work.

the tutoring could be a great part of the game but most of my best young players do not like being tutored by most of my world slass stars in my side. this is rubbish as in real life they would jump at the chance to work with some of the players i ask them to. instead i end up having many of my best young players having personality differences with my stars. it ruins my long term plans and is totally unrealistic in my opinion.

si need to have a good look at this as it is a big problem.

before anyone asks- yes the players who i have tutoring have the highest levels for influence,play in the same or similar positions to the tutored players and are usually world stars. so no reason for it not to work.

I have recently had victor moses tutoring my new talent from england (this is 2017 now) and now due to a personality clash moses is unhappy and considering leaving??! Crazy that he went through training, picking up positions from other tutors but now the time has come to pay back the training he received by doing it himself he gets upset, sinks deep into his pram and through all his dummies about!

It is potentially a great idea but really difficult to get the skills passed on, especially as the computer doesnt seem to do it, leaving no players with skills anywhere in the future. My players are overly talented, especially as i try pick up old school legends (like gerrard) to pass on their skills.

For 2009 this could really do with an upgrade, a page with all possibilities would be nice. Or simply the option for anyone to be tutored by anyone else, maybe with your assistant manager telling what the success rate is likely to be. I.e. if your world class striker tutors your 16 year old there is a 5 star chance of success but they may clash due to personality, but also have the option for him to train your keeper who is 16, but say its 0 stars and pointless, or train a wing back and give 2 stars as there will be traits that mix and match like moving into channels, or placing shoots/long range passes etc.

I wonder if anyone from SI will give an opinion on this.

One thing that I've been thinking about is allowing players to develop somewhat on their own.

Perhaps players that score a few lobs would end up developing "likes to lop keeper", for instance. But also, maybe players could be inspired by those around them and pick up the moves of their own accord. So a youngster in Beckham's side might be inspired to practice curling the ball on free kicks and develop it that way. You could watch what skills players were, on their own, trying to learn and challenge them if you didn't think it suited them.

So lets say Danny decides to pick up Messi's 'hovercraft PPM' (as if!) and starts pestering Messi for help, or just practices on his own. Your coach can come to you and let you know that Danny is doing this and you could then talk with Danny: "Um Danny, you're a goalkeeper. You don't need to learn Hovercraft Dribble X1000. How about a bit more study with old Van Der Saar? He could teach you a thing or two about putting off attackers in a penalty shootout. What do you say?"

It is really difficult to pass on PPMs. I have a whole game going right now that is PPM focused. I'm bringing in old stars to my mid-table club (2nd division in Spain, so little money) to teach my raw talent the moves. Its starting to work. I'm aiming to end up with this:

DCs : Does Not Dive into Tackles, Marks Opps. Tightly, Stays Back at All Times (maybe)

FBs : Runs with ball down (L/R), Knocks Ball past Opp., Hugs Line, Marks Opps. Tightly (maybe), Plays Short Simple Passes (maybe, depends on tactics), Looks for Pass Rather than Score, Arrives late in Opp. Area, Cuts inside

MCs : Runs with ball through Middle, Gets in Opp. Area, Winds up Opponents, Gets Crowd Going, Dictates Tempo, Moves into Channels, Shoots Long, Shoots with Power, Dives into Tackles (for the high tackle DMCs maybe), Places Shots, Lobs Keeper, Curls Ball, Tries to Play way out of Trouble, Tries Killer Balls Often, Tries Long Range Passes, and a few with 'plays no through

FCs: Places Shots, Lobs Keeper, Curls Ball, Moves into Channels, Plays with Back to Goal, Shoots with Power, Likes to Round Keeper, Uses Outside of Foot, Tries Tricks, Comes Deep to Get Ball (mabye), Likes to Beat Offside Trap, Knocks Ball Past Opponent,

Wingers: And etc..

And then have these guys pass onto the next generation, etc.. A silly project when I think about it, but fun. Too bad that by the time my team all have nice PPMs the other teams will have next to none. Hope that is fixed.

See i think that woiuld be really satisfying to acheive. I had john bostock with his 8 skills and was going to use him to pass on skills to the next generation until liverpool offered 20 mil for him i could not turn down!

There are so many skills out there and after 10 years no players seem to be able to lob keepers/shoot with power/ tries long passes which isnt very realistic! Theyu should pick up skills themselves, almost like an rpg game where you gain experience that goes on skills, as the players play they should learn more!

Archived