Do I break my self imposed rules?

Basically I have for the first time in my time playing FM08 been trying to keep good finances for my club. I am now in 2017 and Crewe have a new decent 40k stadium and until I got champions league football I never spend more than £7 million on a player in my 5 years in the prem. This went up and I recently could afford to buy someone for £20 million and not worry about it at all. I had set myself a limit of not offering more than 50k a week on any player apart from one player in the squad at any one time. I recently signed someone who used to play for the club on a 90k a week contract as he was the best regen I have ever had. I won the league last season and need a new right winger but he wants 105k a week which is double my limit do I break my own limits or tell him to stick it and try to develope my 20 year old Wallis and Futuna international. The young lad plays RB, RWB and RM but didnt perform too good last year.

Also do you ever break your own rules? I am stuck if I should stick with the rules that got me here or splash out now I am at the top.

I never make such rules for myself so that I don't have this issue of whether or not to break them. Only you can decide ultimately though. I can almost guarantee that here you will just get a bunch of responses on either side of the fence, leaving you to still make the decision anyway!

Lol deep down I knew that making the thread would result in mixed answer just wanted to see what everyone thought. On this new right winger I have decided against it £30 million for him and £5 million plus a year in wages is a huge risk for a team like mine.

One thing I would say with the way you stated your "rules" though is that having one player (or 2) paid a lot more than the rest can cause players to become unhappy and want big wage rises themselves so soooner or later (probably sooner, depending when their contracts need renewing) you will have to take the much bigger decision of where to draw the line on wages across the entire squad because you could quite easily find yourself needing to give big wage rises to a lot of players and totally break your rules if you do so for one or two.

It was by a complete fluke and not skill that the main 8 players in my squad are tied to contracts for at least another 4 seasons by which time the highest paid player will be 31 and need his contract renewing so hopefully he will take a pay cut as I will refuse to pay a 31 year old 90k a week. It worries me the amount of offers that are flying in for my star players they are getting unhappy and if I have to replace them it will mena getting players on big wages. Oh well guess I just gotta deal with player power, at Dimitar "over-rated, arrogant asshole" Berbatove doesn't play for me though lol.

It was by a complete fluke and not skill that the main 8 players in my squad are tied to contracts for at least another 4 seasons by which time the highest paid player will be 31 and need his contract renewing so hopefully he will take a pay cut as I will refuse to pay a 31 year old 90k a week. It worries me the amount of offers that are flying in for my star players they are getting unhappy and if I have to replace them it will mena getting players on big wages. Oh well guess I just gotta deal with player power, at Dimitar "over-rated, arrogant asshole" Berbatove doesn't play for me though lol.

the problem is that even when they have long term contracts, the can become quite unhappy and wanting new contracts which filters then through the rest of the squad. Usually when you are doing above expectations. Sometimes their requests are just too much: ie I had a key member of my squad asking for appearance fees of over €15k... I'm currently with Nott Forest, first season in the EPL. I told him to stick a new contract and he has backed down, for now

Hey, don't be hating on Berba. He's the best thing we've had since Stoichkov. I agree with the earlier post regarding any player being paid far higher than the rest. The top players on a team take their cue from other top players and their salaries, so you're playing with fire. Also, 50K pw is too low a limit for a whole squad of supposed world beaters. Even Arsenal have to splash more cash than that.

50k a week has been enough to win the premier league so far but I agree its too low to continue to challenge so I might up my limit. If players are not happy then they can find money at other clubs.

Berbatov might be the best thing since Stoichkov for Bulgaria but he is moody and arrogant at Spurs, and £30 million is alot of cash. I thought I hated Cristiano Ronaldo until I heard of Berbatovs antics lol.

See, this is where we could totally insert minigames into FM. Like, if you succeed at some "manager challenge" subgame, you get "wily manager" points that you can spend to convince your players to take less money, or to accept a reduced role, or to work harder in training.

It's possible to win something like the EPL with a squad on relatively low wages. The trouble comes after that when they all now know they are big stars and demand massive wage increases.

When I won the Champions League with Icelandic club Grindavik in FM06 my maximum wage was probably something like £2,500 p/w. After that most of my players had no interest in signing a new contract and those who did demanded huge wages which my board allowed me to give them because of the cash windfall, so I had a couple of players on £20,000 p/w contracts...in Iceland!...meanwhile the IA Akranes team full of young Icelandic players that I was also managing paid their entire squad ~£25,000 p/w and in one brilliant season they beat Grindavik to the title with that and went on to qualify for the Champions League group stages at the first time of asking. One of the main reasons I gave up that game (apart from FM07 being released) was because I was sad at loads of my star Grindavik players entering the last year of their contract and all set to leave the club on Bosmans :(

Eventually the economics will catch up to your squad. If the going rate for a type of player is X and paid Y, then anything significantly less will see all but the most loyal players wanting transfers when they come up. Ease your team up the payscale as you can, accepting that its a market, not a moral issue.

That said, accepting a few players on vastly higher salaries before you are prepared to bring the team up in wages overall is likely to cause a good bit of trouble. So prepare ahead of time by sussing the market for your extant players and getting them to above-average wages before bringing in the world beaters.

creweteamkm3.jpg

creweteamkm3.e60177d984.jpg

That what my team earns, the best players are the top 5 highest earners and Thomas Anderson. The best up and comers are Gomez, Brocker and Fischer all are under 24 but I am sure will want more money next time their contracts are up for renewal. The funny thing is He Siyuan has very good stats and but is behind Stancu and Diego Roberto in running for the lone striker position. He dislikes Dieg Roberto I would hate someone that earned 45 times my wage aswell lol.

Archived