Dutch promotion/relegation playoffs - a doubt.

I'm in my first season with FC Eindhoven in the Eerste Divisie (Holland's 2nd division), and managed to stay in 7th place, therefore qualifying to the playoffs, although I haven't reached them yet so my excuses for not getting into more details.

Anyway, I've noticed throughout the season that some teams had already achieved a place in the playoffs, even by Christmas, without any mathematical ensurance,for example some teams below 1st place had already a booked place, but the leader hadn't.

Checked the rules in the side panel of the table. It said "Teams placed 2nd-9th may qualify for Playoff depending on winners of the six periods."

My doubt is what are these periods? Can I check them in some sort of table in the side panels/menus? I really would appreciate if someone could shed some light onto this league/playoffs system, which I find quite exciting and interesting, but can't fully comprehend.

Thank you for all eventual replies, hope my English is understandable (corrections welcome).

yeah every six matches, the team getting the most points, earns a place into the play-offs at the end of the season. together with the other best teams you get 8 teams (number one promotes direct) who fight with 2 teams from the 'eredivisie' for two promotion places.

Archived