Memories of yesteryear

With FM09 around the corner it got me thinking about previous versions and players.

I remember the good old days when players were just GK, D, M & F not the complicated DRC, DM, MRC - and that's just one player. The days of Kiko Charana - fake player IIRC - a legend in the lower leagues.

I remember getting Buffon on a free transfer when he was about 19 and loved to shout "Buffoon!!" when he conceded (which was a lot in my Hayes side in the Conference) - These were the days when you could pick up loads of free foreign players through the player search - mostly Portuguese and Italian. This was also the time of the Tri Wasano editor - which was excellent.

More great fake players appeared over the years - Tiago a brilliant DLC, Jose Cano an AM/FC, and Agustin an amazing DMC - all picked up for free and sold for around £2.5M while you were in the Conference (helped with paying for the ground expansion if you won the league otherwise you were not allowed to get promoted) - these were the days before the playoffs.

Then came the great Torsteinssen spelt with a P - would bang in 80+ goals per season from Conference to Division 1 (Championship). To Madeira was another one. Djalminha was mental and got sent off nearly every game in between fighting with the coaches. I remember the joy of signing a 37 year old Beckham (when I still liked him) still with decent stamina and no left foot. These were the days of Dutch winger Brian Pinas.

The game was way too easy to play in the old days - I much prefer the amazing game we have now and look forward to further improvements and one or two things being tweaked to make it even more realistic.

I love it now that it is more difficult to get from BSS to Premier in about 6 seasons - It's now 2023 in my current game and I'm back in the BSS after 3 seasons in the BSP - skint and having to sell my best players to stay in the black - brilliant!!

i remember Zidane as a left back on CM2...

i still play cm00-01 because of a long term game with many legendary regens...

i created a team on cm01-02 of me and my mates, obviously with exaggerated stats, and came up from the conference to division one before i left for palace.

Archived