Your worst/stupidest defeat

How can you lose 6-0 and 'outplay your opponents for most of the match'? Do you have Andy Cole and Ade Akinbiyi upfront?

I lost 5-2 to my little brother once which was awful because he still reminds me about it every chance he gets. Little *****.

Had several disappointing defeats myself, including in challenges.

With a minute of stoppage time to go I was on the verge of keeping Sunderland up in a 3 game challenge. We had to win had Old Trafford and Rooney bangs in a last minute equaliser. One of the few times I have been gutted when Rooney scored. :D

In another challenge I was 3-0 up at half time on the last day of the season with Kedah and a win would get us the league title. They scored early on in the second half and also 2 goals in the last 2 minute to deny us.

I was also 3-0 up on aggregate against Arsenal with Man United in the Champions League quarter-final. They overturned it in the 2nd leg.

When I was Real Madrid manager we drew the away leg of our Champions League semi-final 0-0 against Barcelona. In the 2nd leg at home Barcelona had a player sent off early on and we dominated the game but just could not score. In the penalty shoot-out we had 3 chances to win it and we blew it. Barcelona also had a couple of chances to win it and they missed. They eventually managed to get it.

I also lost in the Championship playoff with Reading to Birmingham 4-3 after extra time after leading 3-2 going into the last minute of normal time.

They may not seem bad defeats but they were painful at the time.

Had many disappointing defeats:D

AFC Wimbledon

• lost to a greyed Clevedon team 1-0
  • lost to greyed Tooting & Mitcham 4-1:o

PSV

• lost to Arsenal in the ECC Semi-Final 2nd leg on a own goal
  • every time I lose to Ajax:p
  • we lost to a First Division team in the Cup before, don't remember which team though...

Derby

• drew with Middlesbrough 3-3 at home after leading at halftime 3-0
  • lost to Arsenal 4-3 after leading 3-0
  • lost to Charlton at home 1-0 despite getting a gazillion shots on target
  • lost to Valencia in the Euro Cup on two goals after the 80th minute

And I often do bad against the worst team in the league... (AFC Wimbledon - drew 24th place Altrincham, PSV - lost to RBC, Derby - lost to Southampton)

Had many disappointing defeats:D

AFC Wimbledon

• lost to a greyed Clevedon team 1-0
  • lost to greyed Tooting & Mitcham 4-1:o

PSV

• lost to Arsenal in the ECC Semi-Final 2nd leg on a own goal
  • every time I lose to Ajax:p
  • we lost to a First Division team in the Cup before, don't remember which team though...

Derby

• drew with Middlesbrough 3-3 at home after leading at halftime 3-0
  • lost to Arsenal 4-3 after leading 3-0
  • lost to Charlton at home 1-0 despite getting a gazillion shots on target
  • lost to Valencia in the Euro Cup on two goals after the 80th minute

And I often do bad against the worst team in the league... (AFC Wimbledon - drew 24th place Altrincham, PSV - lost to RBC, Derby - lost to Southampton)

Yeah the thing is greyed teams always seem to have the ability of Brazil it seems, cant stand playing them.

I've had a few bad defeats in my time but the worst on FM 08 has to be losing in the final of the world cup as England on penalties to Mexico after dominating the match.. i've never won the world cup on any FM and to be denied like that was heartbreaking.

I once lost 13-2 or something on 07. I was Burnley playing Liverpool. I decided to use a high defensive line so I could keep them penned back in their half.

"But wait," said a little voice inside my head. "What if they play a load of through balls? Johnson and Eto'o are very quick..."

Then I had a brain wave. I needed a player deep to clear up the through balls before Johnson and Eto'o could get to them.

"But wait," said the voice. "If you do that, they'll be onside, and there would be no point playing the high defensive line."

Then I had another "brainwave".

"Not if my 'keepers the one coming out. It's called a sweeper keeper?"

It worked well for about ten minutes- I went a goal ahead even- but then they started chipping the keeper...

liniert that would make me violently sick if that were me. haha. bad luck.

my worst is a 3-2 loss to derby after leading 2-0 at HT....i was only arsenal, mind.

another poor one in the same crap run of form was a 4-0 loss to over-achieving reading, that was pretty dissapointing.

The ones that annoy me most are when you're about to break a record, and are against a nobody team. You know before it starts that you'll have a billion shots on goal and they'll have one and it'll go in.

"Should Spurs win today they'll break the record for most games won in succession". Oh look we lost one nil to a lucky shot and their keeper played like Banks, Shilton, Kahn AND Buffon all at the same time.

Peeves me off.

Arsenal 1 - 2 Chelsea

A win and I'd have a 7 point gap over Chelsea with 5 games to go, and would've meant I could have afforded to slip up at both Man Utd and Liverpool in my remaining games.

I lost and then, despite beating Sunderland (who finished 4th) 6-1 in my next game, drew at Man Utd and Liverpool in the following two games, and even with wins over Spurs and Preston in my last two games, I lost the title by 2 points. :(

Most annoyingly, I ended up with 95 points in 2nd, while 92 and 91 in the previous two seasons had seen me win comfortably.:rolleyes:

Atleast I managed an away win at Barca in the middle of all these games, to send me into the CL Final, and ended the domestic season with a 3rd successive FA cup win. :cool:

earmack. are you a better team than Bordeaux now i take it?

just losing 7-0 to arsenal everytime is a bit of a joke tbh.

I'm not really better than Bordeaux who are one of the top teams along with Lyon (least of the top teams), Marseille (best team in the league) and PSG (not true to life they are an excellent team ingame). After this game Bordeaux sold their top striker (forget his name) for 34 million to Roma, they still went on to beat Marseille away the next day (though Marseille are still top by 8 points).

This was the worst loss I've ever had as we really did play well....I think, can you play well and lose 6-0? I know you cant in real life but in the game maybe. Funnily enough after this game our form has turned to crap (didn't help that we had to play lyon away {cup and league} twice the next week, followed by marseille away, nice away, PSG at home).

@sciag: thats a nice story, I've had similar 'brainwaves' and similar results in the past.

Two legged playoff semifinal. First leg, I lose 3-0, so needing 4 goals for an aggregate win, I started the second leg with my awesome 2-3-5 formation. Guaranteed to swarm the opposition and give me victory, right?

Wrong. After just a few minutes in, one of my defenders stupidly fouls when he was the last man and gets sent off. The other team converts the spot kick and I'm now down 4-0 aggregate.

At that point, I said "**** this" and left just the one guy back on defense with everyone else attacking. All out attack, quick tempo, long ball, hard tackling, close down all over. I got smoked 8-1 in that second leg, for a monster 11-1 aggregate loss. But hey, I scored a goal.

I left the game running at top speed with commentary only and just stared at the flashing screen as the CPU scored goal after goal. It was almost comical after a while.

Almost.

On CM4 I decided to play my reserves against Blackburn in the League Cup and lost 7-0.

On FM05 or 06, I can't remember which, I beat Leverkusen 5-0 in the Champions League quarter final first leg. Feeling confident, I played what I thought was a strong reserve team in the second leg, only to lose 6-0.

In FM08, I lost to Bristol City with MK Dons heavily in the League Cup, I can't remember the score, but they won by at least 6 goals.

i lost 33-0 to Preston. i was bristol city. i was on my screen selection and i had mail so i clicked on the mail icon,read them and clicked the continue/submit team. and it loaded up the match. no team was there so i went on holiday for a day and came back and it sed that i lost 33-0. neil mellor scored 17

I resigned in a rage after my East Striling team blew a four goal led with less than half an hour to go to lose five-four to some other Scottish third division strugglers(Alloa I think). And my international teams regularly have troubles with San Marino and Litchenstien. Scotland lost 3-1 to San Marino (though they did go to win the Euro's), my Wales lost 2-1 to Litchenstien and my valient Northern Ireland powered to a 1-1 with Litchenstien.

lol, that happened to me too. I lost 36-0 to Man City.

now im no good at maths but a football match lasts for 90 minutes right. it would take maximum twenty seconds to put the ball into an empty net with no opposistion from kick off- probably about ten seconds with 11 men.......how the hell did they only score 36!!!!! haha. great bug though- obviously not for you but im laughing at your expense none-the-less.

I once lost 13-2 or something on 07. I was Burnley playing Liverpool. I decided to use a high defensive line so I could keep them penned back in their half.

"But wait," said a little voice inside my head. "What if they play a load of through balls? Johnson and Eto'o are very quick..."

Then I had a brain wave. I needed a player deep to clear up the through balls before Johnson and Eto'o could get to them.

"But wait," said the voice. "If you do that, they'll be onside, and there would be no point playing the high defensive line."

Then I had another "brainwave".

"Not if my 'keepers the one coming out. It's called a sweeper keeper?"

It worked well for about ten minutes- I went a goal ahead even- but then they started chipping the keeper...

Lol surely you must have realised after about the 2nd time your keeper was chipped that the "sweeper keeper" was clearly not working? :D

Tottenham going for a ECC place against bottom of the league Sunderland, I was 4-0 down at half-time. 'Nuff said.

I've got Dijon coming up in my Cherbourg game and they have 4 points from 30 games at this point, having scored 17 goals, I'm assuming I'll lose but by how much ??

i have just had 17 defeats in a row on my Birmingham city game, including a 11-0 reverse to Arsenal and a defeat on penalties in the fa cup, TO JARROW ROOFING.

haha thats unfortunate...or just plain stupidity on your behalf. did you have a goalie at all?

now im no good at maths but a football match lasts for 90 minutes right. it would take maximum twenty seconds to put the ball into an empty net with no opposistion from kick off- probably about ten seconds with 11 men.......how the hell did they only score 36!!!!! haha. great bug though- obviously not for you but im laughing at your expense none-the-less.

The highest real competitive score is 36-0 so it is possible. Also the quickest goal from kick off is 4 seconds. Although both of these had teams playing against them....

The highest real competitive score is 36-0 so it is possible. Also the quickest goal from kick off is 4 seconds. Although both of these had teams playing against them....

no opponents, my point exactly. id of expected a score in excess of 100-0 and if not i would of been severly angry. i hope they wernt trying thier best...:D

Lol surely you must have realised after about the 2nd time your keeper was chipped that the "sweeper keeper" was clearly not working? :D

I think it was the third or fourth time, but by then morale was so low and my players were a lot worse than them anyway. I had one Premiership quality player in the side and the rest were lower Championship, whereas Liverpool had Eto'o, Messi, Gerrard, Eddie Johnson...

Anyway, the sweeper part worked well, it was just if he didn't make it to the ball he'd be chipped by a world class player.

i have just had 17 defeats in a row on my Birmingham city game, including a 11-0 reverse to Arsenal and a defeat on penalties in the fa cup, TO JARROW ROOFING.

I think thats the worst result in the history of football, congrats.

I think it was the third or fourth time, but by then morale was so low and my players were a lot worse than them anyway. I had one Premiership quality player in the side and the rest were lower Championship, whereas Liverpool had Eto'o, Messi, Gerrard, Eddie Johnson...

Anyway, the sweeper part worked well, it was just if he didn't make it to the ball he'd be chipped by a world class player.

Lol thats quality mate, gave me a chuckle!

I resigned in a rage after my East Striling team blew a four goal led with less than half an hour to go to lose five-four to some other Scottish third division strugglers(Alloa I think). And my international teams regularly have troubles with San Marino and Litchenstien. Scotland lost 3-1 to San Marino (though they did go to win the Euro's), my Wales lost 2-1 to Litchenstien and my valient Northern Ireland powered to a 1-1 with Litchenstien.

I'm currently managing San Marino in 2012, been managing them since 2007, no win in 39 games, including an 18-1 hammering by Spain, although lots of good youngsters are coming through at the moment, which is good for the future!

I'm currently managing San Marino in 2012, been managing them since 2007, no win in 39 games, including an 18-1 hammering by Spain, although lots of good youngsters are coming through at the moment, which is good for the future!

Out of interest how do you keep calm when your team is getting battered all the time? Also are the San Marino board content for you to lose constantly?

• 3 weeks later...

i regularly lose to barcelona because they have like 2 shots vs my 20 odd yet because they have bojan he scores them even though in real life there really is no proof that he could ever score that many :) (normally always ends up top goalscorer and finishes every chance he gets basically)

My worst loss was against gimnastic with real madrid i completely underestimated them and they had just loaned kepa from valencia (yes im quite far in) and he scored 4 goals in first 25 minutes lol i think i got it back to 4-3 but was an embarrassing loss as he pooed all over my team :)

Also in the same save as my Real madrid i was offered the czech role so i accepted they were already half way thru qualifying group and were like 3rd we needed to win all our games left to qualify(can't remember if its WC or Euros) Anyway i played some average teams i lost both times with my 2 only good players getting 4s - Cech and Rosicky... i resigned after those 2 games - the whole thing was embarrassing and so i got out ASAP... later im still at madrid and manager of holland and qualified for WC by winning all games :).

My worst defeat was to the bottom team of the BSS. It was the last day of the season and onloan jamie guy was scoring for fun. If I drew I got promoted. I played 4-5-1 and Guy missed an open goal in the 5th minute. It was a scrappy game and noone really took charge. The Referee gave a "dubious" free kick and from that... **wipes tears from his face** Jamie Guy scored an OG and I lost 1-0.

Archived