How come clubs NEVER take players on trial?

Coming to think of it, i can't recall it.

You never get any news messages saying 'Club X has took veteran goalkeeper Nick Colgan on trial. Colgan who is looking to revitalise his career has said to be 'delighted' at the oppertunity to show his worth to X Manager in order to win a permanent move.' It would be nice but who wants Colgan anyway. lol.

Now that it has been brought up, I like n0va, don't remember ever seeing it, would make sense if other clubs gave players trials too, although IIRC (which probably means I am wrong) a trial doesn't show up in the player history so maybe the clubs are trialling people and just not telling us? Like some conspiracy?

But to be a little more serious, it would be nice to get messages like n0va posted, would add a little more depth to the game

I brought this up once and was told that this is because the game couldn't cope with all the trialists at every club ... it'd slow it down a great deal apparently, I was told that the non-presence or rolling/short-term (1,3,6 month) contracts was for the same reason.

To me, this is one of the most important missing elements of the game. Trials are absoloutley vital in real life to lower league clubs, but are also excericsed by teams all the way to league 1 on a frequent basis. If SI are not going to give the option to all clubs, certainly don't give it to human manager only for the sake of consistent realism.

If they added this in FM09 alone, I would be far more excited than if they add some gimicky feature in.

You can assume that free players are always on trial with the teams interested in them...

True

Also before someone posted about how they would like to see retired players leave then come back into the game, but thats basically what they do when they are unemployed for all that time, they dont just sit there, they are most likely doing something else until you give them a contract.

maybe I'm being silly but I have taken a couple of kids on trial and then I don't hear anything. How do I find out if they are any good???

You can look at their stats.

You can also get a coach report on them just like with other players.

Archived