over/under succesful AI teams

whats the most under and over succesful AI teams you have seen on FM08?

at the moment, in 2009 birmingham and reading are top 4 teams...i think birmingham are second, two points behind, with a game in hand. and this is in mid-january. they don't even have any great players.

the worst is liverpool who are sitting in 12th. they just never took off at the beginning of the season.

I'm in my 6th season of my current save. Man-Utd is a consistent mid-table finisher, Newcastle is a top 5 nearly every year and is constantly making big transfer deals. Plymouth and Blackpool moved into the EPL and haven't looked back. Both Sheffield teams (Utd & Wed) have spent time in League 2.

Barcelona is by far the most successful club in the world, winning or in the final of nearly every club competition.

Derby and Sunderland have become the biggest overachievers. Sunderland are on course to finish 5th in the 2012 season, and although Derby did get relegated on season, all other seasons they have finished in or around the top half. Outside of England, Racing in Spain have been the biggest overachievers, having won La Liga the previous season, and looking good to retain the title.

The biggest underachiever would probably go to Nottingham Forest who are slipping nearer and nearer to League 2 with every season. Outside England, it would be Roma who have become a team fighting relegation over the past two season.

QPR are 2nd in the Premier League in my game. But then they do have stinking rich owners and I am in 2024 so I guess it's not that surprising.

Man U were relegated 2 years ago and went bankrupt, but it seems to have done them good. They wiped off their £700m debt by going into administration and have come back up as champions of the Championship and are now throwing their new-found money round like there's no tomorrow.

Derby often seem to survive the first season in the Premiership.

In Argentina I saw River Plate finish regularly mid-table despite having one of the best squads. Argentinian domestic football is unpredictable in real life though.

I've also seen teams like Bayern, Inter and Chelsea have relegation battles after just a few seasons.

And Leicester managed to get promoted to the Premiership (I wish) with that incompetent idiot Ian Holloway in charge.

chaz4594

artificial intelligience :D

fulham are both under / over achievers. in some saves they get relegated and never grace the prem again, in others they quickly become regular uefa cup placers. and i mean it's always one or the other, they've never been consistent mid-tablers or survivors

genoa just won the 2009-2010 seria a on my arsenal game

and yeh, liverpool always drop after 2 seasons in my saves

Everton. Got relegated then went into administration, then went back up, then got relegated again and, you guessed it, went into administration again. Currently, they have released some of their top players and are having to play their kids which I find amusing.

In 2022 Man Utd have been massive under achievers, since 2008 they have won 1 UEFA Cup and thats been their lot. They now seem to either finish mid-table or flirt with a UEFA Cup spot. Chelsea run them a close second, winning just 1 PL and 1 CL since the start, they have finished mid-table for the last few years and now in my latest season find themselves in a relegation battle!

Coventry have been the only real surprise package, competing for a top 4 finish for the last 6 years.

I saw leicester promoted to the premiership in 08/09, Southampton meanwhile have avoided being relegated to league 2 by 1 point in 09/10, don't know how since they are my parent club and have lent me 2 youngsters of league 1 standard!

they also have rasaik, saganowski and skacel in the squad who they are paying 9K/W each.

In my games Derby never get relegated (hasn't happened in about half a dozen different games), equally puzzling is the fact that Leicester always do well in my games, usually second season they're in the prem and after that they challenge for UEFA spots then the league.

In my 2038 save Rushden are the team nearest to spoiling my world domination. Ok they don't actually manage it, but they're perenially second.

Chelsea are in L2 and Everton have fallen out of the league entirely. So they are probably the best undersuccessful teams I can offer up.

Yay we'll be in the prem before the 2018 world cup
In my 2038 save Rushden are the team nearest to spoiling my world domination. Ok they don't actually manage it, but they're perenially second.

Chelsea are in L2 and Everton have fallen out of the league entirely. So they are probably the best undersuccessful teams I can offer up.

blimey that is extreme!! rushden competing on the world stage and everton out of the football league...FM is crazy (in a good way)

After the second season Man Utd fell out of the premiership and have since been yoyoing up and down every year without fail winning the championship lol. West Brom i think are the biggest overachievers but they're only finishing in the top 7 or so, with Villa, Arsenal and Totenham usually winning the league.

at the moment, in 2009 birmingham and reading are top 4 teams...i think birmingham are second, two points behind, with a game in hand. and this is in mid-january. they don't even have any great players.

the worst is liverpool who are sitting in 12th. they just never took off at the beginning of the season.

scrap that. one season on and birmingham are in a relagation battle...although liverpool are still a bottom half team.

i think i am also witnessing the downfall of the football super-power, man u. 12th place and struggling at the mo.

I'm in 2019, and the following has happened...

Italy - Ravenna won Serie A last season, and Genoa have won the league twice since the start. Inter are dreadful and have been midtable for some time. Juve and Milan seem hamstrung by constantly appointing bad managers - recently retired players with high reputation but no skills - Materazzi, Toni etc.

England - Arsenal are probably the strongest team, but they only finished 11th last season. Sam Allardyce was their manager but was sacked. The Champions League qualifiers last season were Man U, Newcastle, West Ham and Sheff U (the latter two were both relegated a few seasons earlier).

I won the league twice with Newcastle but have since retired. Chelsea have been dreadful for about 5 seasons, basically since Abramovich retired. Frank Lampard is their manager, previously it was Olof Mellberg. They are 18th after 13 games in the current season.

Man U had a couple of shaky seasons, partly due to appointing Steve Coppell, Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson and Steve McLaren (in that order) as Sir Alex's successors.

Liverpool have won the league once, but lost their manager to moneybags Zaragoza at the end of the season.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Coventry are doing well in this game to. They still have Dowie as manager and have been UEFA Cup qualifiers for the last three or four seasons.

There haven't been that many big moves in the lower divisions, Aldershot almost made it to the Championship a few years back, and Tranmere are in the Conference, but most teams are only one league away from where they started.

Spain - This is probably the strongest league. Since Inter won the CL in the first season, it has been won every season since by Spanish teams.

Germany - Stuttgart have won the last four titles (7 overall), but Bayern always appear to have the strongest squad. Bayern's problem seems that they appoint rubbish managers all the time. Two teams - Dusseldorf and Lubeck are established in the Bundesliga 1 having come up two divisions, but most teams again are only one division away from where they started out.

whats the most under and over succesful AI teams you have seen on FM08?

How dare you Birmingham are awesome!

On 2007 Bolton finished bottom of the league with 15 points but won the UEFA cup! :confused:

scrap that. one season on and birmingham are in a relagation battle...although liverpool are still a bottom half team.

i think i am also witnessing the downfall of the football super-power, man u. 12th place and struggling at the mo.

ahh another relegation battle....some things never change?

It's the start of 2009/2010

And in the Prem West Brom are massive over achievers as they got promoted to the prem in 07/08 then finished 6th and qualified for the UEFA Cup and have already knocked out Athletico Madrid:eek:

And also Aston Villa are looking good finishing 4th in 07/08 then in 08/09 they finished 2nd behind me. And signing major players

And Liverpool are the main underachievers even though they have a really good squad they finished 7th in 07/08 then 12th in 08/09.

Archived