Does the I can score more than you approach work on FM?

Just wondering if anyone uses an I can score more than you approach to the game. I have taken Crewe to the premier league and got a new stadium and a decent amount of cash after finishing 4th last year I spent alot of money on new players so now is time to deliver. So far this season I am currently top of the league for now have played 13 games and have 12 wins and 1 lose. I have scored 41 goals and conceeded 21 which is alot to concede. I have my 2 fullbacks bomb forward leaving 2 DCs and an MC with a barrow to defend. These players always get decent ratings but we concede alot of goals. Anyone else use this approach? As much as I try I cannot get my defenders and goalie to stop conceeding despite their good rating and very very good stats I have now given up and think I might just try to outscore the opponants.

Do you like a solid defense or have you got a decent tactic that scores loads and conceeds little?

my tactic is usually pretty good at both, although i do have an odd season where i ship a fair few goals in.. usually get through the prem season conceding between 15-25 goals... can go up to 40 in those odd seasons though! usually score quite a few as well, my striker is usually there or thereabouts for the golden boot thingy at the end of the season and my two winger's chip in with a fair few.

problem could be, if you try too much to stop the goals going in, you stop scoring them as well. as long as youre scoring more than them, then i wouldnt personally be too worried about for now...

I know this should be in the tactics forum but what ever I do I cannot get a flat back 4 to not ship lots and lots of goals. Anyone can score past my team goddamn it!

I mean I just had a cup game against Wolves who are currently bottom of the championship and I am top of the prem yet the final score was 5-2 to me surely I should be able to prevent a bas team from scoring. I guess I am just tactically impotent when it comes to defending.

The training is intense defending middle for strength and aerobic, high tactics. The coaches have 6 star for defenders and 7 for tactics. My two main CBs are averaging 7.28 and 7.24 and the GK is averaging a 7 aswell. They only make 2.5-3 tackles a game though.

Mate what ive found is for the fullbacks i have decent ones - bale and zebina but they are not world class i put them as forward runs rarely and always stay back on attacking free kicks and corners so they always stay back and help the central defenders. Havnt conceded once in 7 and have versed manchester united in the process.

I'm doing that at the moment (it's not intentional)

Round about halfway in the season i've scored 57, but conceded 35.

The amount of 4-4 and 3-3 draws i've been having is unreal.

I've signed a new keeper from Aberdeen Reserves, so hopefully this will stem the flow somewhat...

everyone at sevilla is on the same training, and i somehow developed a killer 4-4-2 standard tactic in my arsenal game which fits perfectly with training. i need a striker badly for sevilla, but money is tight until i sell. i'm getting more goals from midfield than defense at the moment. i'm keeping many clean sheets, though, just not destroying teams yet. 1-0s, 2-0s.

fixture computer wasn't too kind, after 5 games, 5 wins & none conceded, i got madrid at home (1-2) and barcelona away (2-0). i had beaten both teams last year, but it seems as such a good run of form counts for nothing, especially when your two most important midfielders get injured in the same game. i've never been so desparate for a goalscorer in any fm game. :(

I've had plenty of succes with this in my current game. For many season I just couldn't get my defence sorted out but played attacking football and generally ended the season with alot of 3-2, 4-2 etc.

Now I have awesome defenders so I don't need to do it much anymore.

Is that one with wingbacks? Dont see many 3-man defense with wingbacks on the tactics forum I just wish I could create my own tactic this game seems so much harder than the last few. I used to use a 4-4-2 diamond on all the previous games keeping it simple and it worked great but this one seem really hard.

Oh... I love just going all out attack! Hammered the League into the ground last season! 128 goals for and only 24 against, the perfect season too... Not doing anywhere near that well this season though, everything just clicked. Though I did throw everything I could at getting it after I kept the winning record until late October, I was lucky to make it through the FA Cup and the Champions League, still pulled it off with a, I will score more than you mindset.

Its possible to get clean sheets in FM08. But nothing wrong with a leaky defense so long as you're banging them in. A 5-2 vs a 3-0 is only cosmetic, well, except for leagues where goals-against are taken over goal-difference, but that is rare.

I've always been weary of that train of thought for the simple fact that I struggle with my goals:shots ratio. When you're struggling to score one with at least 15 shots a game on average then placing all your faith on your strikers isn't the best way of going about winning I suppose.

AcidBurn

I have quickly tweaked the tactic I assume you are using, should give better results.

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808680691

In general with attacking tactics like Kimz the defensive record improves with class defenders, eg Arsenal 1st season do not concede that many.

The tactic I used to take Oxford to top of Premier is less attacking and should therefore concede less as more balanced.

http://www.savefile.com/projects/808680547

Best Diamond is Liquid attack or WHUV15

Thanks for that I will take a look for sure I have been using one very similar to Kimz with 2 STs I will try this one out though as I need to stop conceeding these goals. Once again thanks very dude.

Just finished the season with a good 93 goals scored and 51 conceeded and lost the league by 1 point with a better defense I would have had more chance of winning it. Never mind.

I usually am a attack sort of player IRL and this tends to manifest in my gameplay as well. All my tactic will invariably score loads of goals. And usually my defences do seem weak but actually I do follow You score 3, I'll score 5 goals tendency. And it works for ME.

In your attacking tactic whats your shots statistics? On Goal and Off Target? I average anywhere between 13 - 22 shots a game. Only alot of them are off Target and the Long shots are set to rarely for everyone..

I'm just trying to get a better feel for some kind of Lone Striker setup.

Archived