Idea for Fm 2010

I’ve been trying to think of ways to increase the realism and difficulty of FM because I’ve been finding the last few versions well too easy and they don’t have long lasting appeal to me that they use to. Anyway I was thinking would it be a good idea to make all attributes (passing, finishing, pace, etc) hidden like the already hidden ones. I know the game needs numbers for its mechanics to work but if they were hidden to the user, we would then have to rely on what we see in the 2D match engine highlights, information that your scout gives you such, feedback that your coaching staff gives you which will give your staff much more reason and increase the advantage of having more/better staff. For this to work though I think both scouting and coaching feedback would need to be increased and more specified. Another idea would be to assign your coaching staff just like you assign scouts to give you certain feedback on your own players. For example assigning your fitness coach to assess physical state of your players. I know this idea needs a lot more thought put into it but what do you think of the basic idea? Cheers for any replies =)

I really don't like the of having all attributes invisible. It would almost force people to watch the entire match rather then all of the highlights. And whilst it would increase the importance of coaches, thats a small improvement other what would make the game much less accessible to everybody. Attributes are important when getting an idea of who is the better player, and removing this ability will probably put an awful lot of people off. This should only make it in as an option.

I'd love to know how you find it 'well too easy' as it's certainly not something I've found.

Anyway, what you're proposing would be an utterly massive change to the game, it's been based around numbers and statistics from the start and I can't see that changing. The match engine simply isn't detailed enough to get a clear idea of how good a player is from watching it.

Does 'well too easy' mean you use cheats and you play as man utd and you use the editor and you save and load if you dont get the result you want? If its 'well too easy' play the worst team in the league problem solved.

Not a terrible idea, however I think that for example, if you were scouting someone in Brazil, you should not get all his attributes from just one scout report, but you may have to watch him over a couple of weeks and get some match reports, before getting a full detailed report.

very realistic idea

could work but wont because the match engine is simply not good enough

in the fm08 engine can you actually watch a game without looking at the attributes

and be able to pinpoint a good , dribbling , flairy winger?

imagine how hard it would be to find a clinical striker by just watching the matches, we would probably think every goalkeeper is the best in the world with the amount of saves the produce from one on ones.

and we have all had those times when a player with long shots of 7 or something scores a scorcher against us and we are just speechless.

in conclusion the ME is not good enough

( in my opinion)

Not a terrible idea, however I think that for example, if you were scouting someone in Brazil, you should not get all his attributes from just one scout report, but you may have to watch him over a couple of weeks and get some match reports, before getting a full detailed report.

I think this is probably the best way to go for it. At the moment, scouts uncover attributes and give detailed reports far too fast. Also, a lot of the time, the attributes that are hidden and the ones that show (for partially hidden players) make no sense.. How would I know, for example, that a player's composure is 15, but not know what his finishing is?

agree with the scouting reports part of this..

as for the o/p, its not something i would like in the game, would probably stop me from buying it. and how the hell are you finding the game "well too easy" ???

I for one wish this was an option, but you would certainly need to improve the ME, Scout reports, AM, & useless match ratings. This should be like the attributes masking, whereas it is up you whether you want to play this way or not, so allowing people both options.

As I've said about a few ideas in the recent past it would improve realism your right. But we have to remember this is a game and the fun element has to have some priority over realism at some point. Most people don't fin the game to easy so I'd like to know what your doing that makes you think that

So, while watcing the 2D match, you're able to ascertain how good a player can pass the ball on a 1-20 scale? You must be damn good!

The scouting would need a massive makeover. Not only would they need to tells us a players strengths, weaknesses approx PA etc, but they would have to give a report on every stat and then have them compare that to another player in your squad.

For example.

Player A is a better finisher then our player B

Player A is not as good at heading as our player B

Player A is alot better.......................................................................................

And on and on.

Too tedious imo.

• 6 months later...
So, while watcing the 2D match, you're able to ascertain how good a player can pass the ball on a 1-20 scale? You must be damn good!

The scouting would need a massive makeover. Not only would they need to tells us a players strengths, weaknesses approx PA etc, but they would have to give a report on every stat and then have them compare that to another player in your squad.

For example.

Player A is a better finisher then our player B

Player A is not as good at heading as our player B

Player A is alot better.......................................................................................

And on and on.

Too tedious imo.

I agree with you here. It would be too tedious to play the game.

:(

• 2 months later...

1. I dont know how come nobody mentioned the opponent instructions bit, i hope the fm09 haters know about this function before commenting anything because this makes a whole world of difference. I think there should be an automated function according to what your ass man tell u about opponent instructions as i spend a gazillion hours setting up opponent instructions. Feels like an unreasonable cause for carpal tunnel syndrome!

2. The Virtual striker 3d is a brilliant start but is quite annoying if you cant move the cameras around. 3d facial structure is also useless if you cant zoom in to look at their faces. I understand that compromise needs to be made to the operation requirements but i think at the end of the day it is worth it for the amount of hours we all spend playing this game.

3. totally agree on commentaries, i think that they (at SI) realized that its a Pandora's box when they introduced this and (just like the 3d view). Because with restrictions of content and the limited ability to recycle comments, users will feel annoyed rather than appreciating the new function. But I believe that the database of comments is a matter of effort and can slowly grow in size with time.

4. For a game whose fun factor lies almost largely on the excitement of developing new talents I think that the match engine needs to realize the strength of the team (if its playing second strings) and apply it to the match analysis and odds. I don't know if its just me or the league cup (in the EPL) is easier to win if u play second strings of players, esp when u use the big clubs. This goes on to show that there is an ability for the match engine to recognize second string players and should be switched on for every matches in every competition.

5. I don't know if I want FM to start getting out of the scope of football game and introducing girlfriends and offspring like some new, offbeat football manager simulator does. But at the same time I really think that a reward system for us the managers should be made available, i'e unlocking legendary for just for fun matches, imagine looking at the FM statistics of garrincha or maradona!! and maybe like someone said above, use the money to build ur own football academy and eventually manage ur own football club.

6. If I can be so optimistic as to ask for voice commentaries when playing the match in real time? Naming pronunciation problems can be addressed with calling out shirt numbers instead just like Pro-evolution soccer.

7. Staff recruitment is too easy for human players and often I would control a major club and readily pay $1,000,000 for a Real Madrid staff to break their contract and join the club. In real life the chairman would not let you pay so much for just a coach!

8. Assistant Managers should be smarter in controlling the reserve team and should always pick the team according with, the goal, of keeping the squad in full fitness and not necessarily winning every game. Assistant managers should also suggest the best tactic that you can play in with your current squad.

9. Young players should be given less natural talent and can be developed more with training and good form in reserve / under-18 matches. Ive tried to develop young talented 16yr olds with maximum efforts for 3 seasons without any of them becoming wonderkids. Training should show its rewards more often or become redundant.

10. Motivational words should have more variety (depth) and also more logical. Players also should approach u more often so u know whats going on. Hence making you more psychologically in touch with the players. Maybe during halftime they can make suggestions to u.

11. Going into the details:

- one thing id like to see is a proper celebration for winning a trophy instead of just a chock full of texts of praises. Maybe a team photo every season to put in your office along with a trophy cabinet.

-Testimonials are also really awesome for legendary players. It gives us the reminder and motivation to play them even when they're old instead of letting them rot and die in the bench.

-If we can also have more players staying in the game after they retire as staffs it will also be great.

-customizing the football shirt every season will also work well along with the introduction of 3d view.

12. As to the sliders, tactics and getting rid of the messy multi-directional player movement arrows is actually doing a wonderful job and is an improvement as far as im concerned and I wouldn't want the SI team to waste more time on it as there are other far more pressing problems with the game. I think though, more descriptions need to be made on the functions of some of the complicated and less used tactical options, ie. when u highlight target man, the pop up message just says "tick to use target man", which is stating the obvious and ridiculous for someone who does not know football vocab.

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I feel that, FM 10 should include an additional option like, how can "US" manager spend the money that we earned.

LIke for example, i remembered playing total football manager and it allows us to spend the wages that we've earned on stuffs like, properties, vehicles and etc. Maybe Sports Interactive will want to think about adding such a option which i believe will be much for fun for users.

Playing throughout FM 09, i always see that, under our manager profile screen, there's a place where we can see how much we had earned so far, but yet, we can't do anything to it.

So if such option is added into FM 10, I believe it will only be of benefits to the game!

This is a much better idea than the OP, the OP is a horrible idea and would make the game so frustrating and much less fun. This idea adds realism to the game because a scout can never judge a player fully in just one game, so it would make sense for only certain attributes made visible after just one scouting assignment.

Hoffenheim were purchased by a billionaire, not bank rolled by a managers savings plan.

I swear that he couldnt be the chairman due to the german league rules so hes just a financial backer, just showing my point that i'd like the option of being able to invest in the club you want without being the chairman of said club.

I think the OP has a good point about the scouting being inproved. At the minute the attribute masking does little more than slow down a transfer. You find the player, scout him and voila there are his attributes then you either sign him or not. I would rather just have a scout report and no attributes revealed UNTIL he is in your squad.

I dont think all attributes being hidden all the time would ever catch on, but its a nice idea and certainly novel.

1- Tactics....Tactics should be a lot simpler and harder for the AI to deal with...I think that a difficulty option should be introduced...

2- Chairmen and Directors of Football should have a bigger role

3- Regens must be downplayed...some of them are just way too unrealistic

4- Opposition Instructions to be scratched or made easier....they're useless and sometimes harmful

5- Assistant's feedback should be a bit more clearer

6- An option to help strikers' confidence.

7- 3D engine is a failiure..it adds to the size of the game and i find that the 2D view is much better

8- Dealing with OI every game is very annoying...i suggest u put OI instructions as a part of the tactic or a seperate option that applies to every game.

9- Less embarassing misses

10- Almost every game ends with a difference of 1 or 2 goals...occasionally 3 or 4...rarely 5 or more....thats a good start but tone it down a bit. If Man Utd win matches with differences of 3 goals a lot that would still be realistic.

11- Fans should be more lenient and be happy with 3-0 wins against weak teams

I swear that he couldnt be the chairman due to the german league rules so hes just a financial backer, just showing my point that i'd like the option of being able to invest in the club you want without being the chairman of said club.

No, the owner is a software developer, not a football manager.

I totally agree with your concerns. i too am an addict of this game and find that with certain techniques its hard to lose. I found that with an insane amount of scouting i have been making a crazy amount of money buying young and cheap and selling a few years later as young with potential = lots of money.

to improve the game i think there needs to be more player manager interaction, more influence on training and game time decisions. i believe that manager comments should be throughout the game rather then only at the beginning and halftime.

players should comment on their like or dislike of practice facilities.

the media needs to take on a new level. the current media is boring and repetitive. we need different news paper sources with brilliant questions that demand complicated answers. the answers list should have minimum 8 options. they should be re-worded and some sources should simply dislike you and try to annoy.

media should criticize and compliment players outside of press conferences.

having the option of going on tv shows to answer questions.

weekly national and continental media opinions.

player behavior should be more realistic with issues like relationships, a lack of sleep, anxiety, and overworking.

managers should have options on what to do with their salaries. you could buy a club, buy a house, charities, football camps...

the money needs to be more realistic, team kits should change with sponsors.

a sponsor should be noticed rather then just a note mentioning the amount of money on an anonymous new sponsor.

coaches should be taken more seriously. if the man isnt motivating then less results, no determination passes on to players, no management of players should equal to unorganized playing.

loyalty should be taken more seriously. i hate that i have to find a new coach or two every season. you should be able to talk to them and try to convince them to stay. there should be a more obvious relationship with the coaching staff and the management.

nagotiating should be more involved in the game.

graphics should be sharper. zoom in a bit more.

fans should be more affective, boo's, fan opinion not only when player is signed but throughout their time at the club.

you shouldnt be able to win with one good tactic, in any premier league you need to constantly change it to fit styles of teams and in-game situations.

i can do this all day.... i am very much into sports management and easily see weaknesses in the game.

I’ve been trying to think of ways to increase the realism and difficulty of FM because I’ve been finding the last few versions well too easy and they don’t have long lasting appeal to me that they use to. Anyway I was thinking would it be a good idea to make all attributes (passing, finishing, pace, etc) hidden like the already hidden ones. I know the game needs numbers for its mechanics to work but if they were hidden to the user, we would then have to rely on what we see in the 2D match engine highlights, information that your scout gives you such, feedback that your coaching staff gives you which will give your staff much more reason and increase the advantage of having more/better staff. For this to work though I think both scouting and coaching feedback would need to be increased and more specified. Another idea would be to assign your coaching staff just like you assign scouts to give you certain feedback on your own players. For example assigning your fitness coach to assess physical state of your players. I know this idea needs a lot more thought put into it but what do you think of the basic idea? Cheers for any replies =)

Maybe if it was chosen as an option when you start up the game. Much like Hidden Attributes works when you tick the box, you have to scout the player in order to gets his attributes. I actually strangely like your idea though as it would make the difficulty 'extreme'. Only for the best players :D It would also make challenges on the challenge part of the forum very interesting.

More options when talking to other players rather than basically tapping them up.

Also because I could be Manchester United and Brazil Manager, the players from the national team should be more inclined to join me because they are under my management and can see how good I am etc and so I think they should be more interested in joining.

More options when talking to other players rather than basically tapping them up.

Also because I could be Manchester United and Brazil Manager, the players from the national team should be more inclined to join me because they are under my management and can see how good I am etc and so I think they should be more interested in joining.

Archived