Crash to desktop HELP!

Help i downloaded football manager 2008 from boonty games however, i lost my key in the email and there website is rubbish for getting back your key as it says my details were not remembered.

I recently transferred the football manager game from my pc to my laptop through usb stick however, every time i try to start a new game or load up my old saves i get the error:

MATCH_EVENT_HANDLER::MATCH_EVENT_HANDLER()-Cannot read config file

then it crashes to desktop.

any fixes? :( im dieing to play FM again

i paid £19.99 from boonty games. It was an impulse buy because it was £10.00 in the shop. The fact is i cant retreive my details cause the boonty account retrieval system is so crap, so i cant unlock the game again and re-download. I delete and manage my email box constantly, and didint realise i would still need the activation key.

So please post something constructive that can help me.

i paid £19.99 from boonty games. It was an impulse buy because it was £10.00 in the shop. The fact is i cant retreive my details cause the boonty account retrieval system is so crap, so i cant unlock the game again and re-download. I delete and manage my email box constantly, and didint realise i would still need the activation key.

So please post something constructive that can help me.

Did you read my post? I said probably

I read your post perfectly.

What you posted didint help me atall, i wanted advice.

It wasint constructive, you gave the impression that i illegally downloaded the game when i know for a fact i purchased it from boonty games.

You still Need the disk afaik.

so is there some fix to this, i cant find anything on the issue on the website and theres not a surport FAQ anywhere about this error, the only thing ive done is transferred the football manager from my computer to my laptop and have not edited any folders or configuration files.

Gotta be something about this somewhere :( it sucks in my 3rd season with a trophy winning arsenal team

so basically i have to rebuy something that ive already brought for a already overpriced fee just to fix an error?

im really not impressed with this boonty download service, no surport, and the account page is horrendous.

ah well guess i made the mistake of impulse buying this after having cravings for a football sim.

And boonty is a digtial distrubution provider that sports interactive ADVERTISE on there page.

What did you copy onto the memory stick? The contents of the FM08 folder from the SI directory in the Programs directory? Did you also copy the SportsInteractive folder from within My Documents too?

Even if you did I'm not sure that this will be enough. You need to actually install the software rather than just copy it across.

You still Need the disk afaik.

He could have downloaded the digital version.

ah i dont think i copyed the sports interactive folder from my documents :). Ill give that a try now and come back if it works.

Thank you for finally writing a helpful post :)

Instead of that guy who thought he was smart before me.

Copying the FM files is not really the best way to go. You should install it on your laptop like you did on your pc. It is alright to copy files like your saved games, databases etc.

I know.

Its just a shame the digital version is such a poor service. Ive only ever managed to access the activation key page once and i emailed the surport and i never got a reply =( if this fails ill just go buy the in-store copy for £10

Checked the boonty website and they have no acknowledgement of my email address used in the activation.

We are sorry, but we are unable to find the unlocking key which corresponds to the personal information supplied. Please verify that you have entered the same E-Mail address used during your purchase. If this address has become invalid since you purchased your game, please contact our technical support

Already contacted them, never got a reply.

How incompetant

Help i downloaded football manager 2008 from boonty games however, i lost my key in the email and there website is rubbish for getting back your key as it says my details were not remembered.

I recently transferred the football manager game from my pc to my laptop through usb stick however, every time i try to start a new game or load up my old saves i get the error:

MATCH_EVENT_HANDLER::MATCH_EVENT_HANDLER()-Cannot read config file

then it crashes to desktop.

any fixes? im dieing to play FM again

I'm guessing that without the activation key you are going to have issues as FM relies on creating things when it installs in order for it to run properly. So you can't just cut and paste all the files. If it said unable to open config file then it might be you didn't copy that file over (Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\data\match events\events.cfg) but I still doubt it will run even if that is part of the issue.

Some software I've used before have left the registration key in the registry. Have a look in your old machine that has FM installed.

Set a system restore point just in case.

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and follow the obvious route to creating a new restore point.

When that's done open the Registry Editor.

Start > Run > type 'regedit' without the quotes and press 'OK'. Do not edit anything or otherwise, just click once on things to look at entries.

Have a look in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software by using the 'plus' icons to expand the branches. Check the entries for Sports Interactive and also anything for Boonty (never used them so don't know if there will even be an entry) by clicking ONCE on the folder icon in the left pane (also expand these entries using the plus icon if it is available)to see if the registration key is listed in any of the entries that are listed in the right pane.

If not check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE as well.

It's a long shot to be honest as I don't know if Boonty works in the same manner as other 'activation' methods.

Archived