• FM2006
    • FM2005
    • CM03/04
    • CM4
    • CM01/02
    • CM3 (98-01 series)
    • CM2
    • CM1

I was paying a visit to the sortitoutsi.net forums last night and saw a thread where one of the members had decided to go back to FM2006, purely for nostalgia's sake. He ended up starting a bit of a trend where quite a few forum members followed suit and some of them said they'd forgotten "how good it was" and that they thought FM2006 was the "best ever FM so far".

So, because of this and along with FM2009 coming out in the next few months, I thought I'd create this poll - which version of FM/CM is your most favourite EVER? The one that you always end up going back to even when a new version comes out, you just KNOW you're going to have a great time with it.

And also, why? Do you like FM2008 because of the new features and updated database, or do you love FM2005 because of the lack of teamtalks. CM01/02 often gets praised as being the greatest ever, or are you totally uber-hardcore and still play CM1?

I never play an older version of CM or FM, I always play the latest version that I currently own, if one is bugged I do play the previous version. If I had to choose one version which was the best i'd say CM 03/04 because for me it was fun and everything in it seemed right at the time, it was the complete game you could have asked for. It was CM4 but a totally new version which everything was sorted out in terms or bugs.

I played 2 and 3, and then stopped. Picked it up again for 2007, and 2008. Have found 2007 the best so far. I can't stand the "pitch" i.e. the highlights and replays, on 2008, and find all the stats seem to be a little bit lower. I also have a really good skin (BBC Sport) for FM07, and havn't been able to find one as good for 08.

I used to love the 00/01 version. Played it a few times with a team from conference to Premiership and won most of the things you can win with a team. I did put it back on the computer a year back and did get a mayor headache by looking at it for longer then half an hour. FM05 was terrible and made me skip FM06. FM07 was great, but i only play the latest version i got, so it took a while (till the last patch was released), and now FM2008 is the best for me.

I went for CM2, purely because it was the 1st time I ever played a football manager game and fell in love there and then, still dig it out occasionaly and fire up the old comp that is used for nothing other than playing old beloved games like CM2 and other top notch oldies

I went for CM2, purely because it was the 1st time I ever played a football manager game and fell in love there and then, still dig it out occasionaly and fire up the old comp that is used for nothing other than playing old beloved games like CM2 and other top notch oldies

CM2 was the first ever version I played of CM, it sticks in my mind so well because I always used to be Man Utd and always used to Sign Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy from Crewe Alexandra, and the cheat where you could buy players for free, good times.

CM2 was the first ever version I played of CM, it sticks in my mind so well because I always used to be Man Utd and always used to Sign Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy from Crewe Alexandra, and the cheat where you could buy players for free, good times.

Ah yes, the free players cheat, still attempt that with every new game just to see if it will work lol

FM06 for sure was my favorite of the FM series, FM07 was the worst version i have ever played, i like FM08 though

But the godfather of them all is champ man 93/94, carslberg dont make football management games but if they did it would probably be that!

voted for fm08.. i do still have the odd bash at cm 01/02, but the database being so outdated really bugs me, and i miss a lot of the features from 08... i dont seem to have any major issues with it, team talks never cause much of a poblem for me, and i just think its the best all round one so far. but then again, ask me in a couple of months, and i'll probably say the same about fm09

CM4 was my first SI game i bought and played it for hours on end because i was really good at that version...I think it also had a good flow took like three clicks here four there and i finished the season won everything and got a trophy bride...I like the pitch even though it was a bit predictable and it also taught me about more of the backroom things goin on in football...For those reasons i find CM4 the best in the series...

for sheer playability it has to be CM 01/02, as was mentioned the training on fm2005 was brilliantly done until the mob went WTF?! so we're back to sliders :( FM08 is good but I find its missing that special something that 01/02 and fm2005 had & im not just talking arcadey-ness. :)

CM2 France probably my most enjoyed.

FM2005 my favourite as its the one I played the most and the first one I actually contributed to.

I still play the original Football Manager that was released 25 years ago, as well.

I think every edition has been good in it's own way, but to me the best one was CM03/04 which was simplistic and rather addictive.

Under the new Football Manager guise, I think FM05 for it's simplisticy of features and FM08 for being a challenge.

I think mine was FM07, purely because me and a bunch of about 7 mates all bought it and went on a frenzy on who would get a south yorkshire team to the champions league first

That and the AMAZING vista skin made by Radestock, totally re-started my interest in the game after it seemed things were getting boring

I would vote 08 as I have played it more than others BUT 06 and 07 had better versions of the A-League (at least I think 06 was good) and at that point in my FM career I was yet to discover any of the in-game editors or scouts which made long-term career games much more enjoyable.

I voted for '07, purely for the newgens. if '08 had the same newgens as '07 i'd love it as the other bugs have never bothered me that much, but in 08 every time i get to about 2017 i give up because the newgens aren't anywhere near as good as Thomas Bruns or Pedro Luis Alves Perreira (my best ever newgens on fm07). i even had a dream about thomas once.... one for the addicted thread?!

for me its got to be CM97/98 which isnt even on there! CM3 series began 98/99 if i remember and CM2 was 96/97.

i lost my original disk years ago but happened to come across a version for 50p in a currys store about 3 years ago, what a bargain, all those good times back again

the big club release clause...if only they still had this now =P

only being able to add yourself as national team boss by typing in the actual national team managers name..glenn hoddle at the time for england....best game by far!

Unfortunately I was limited to 10 options in the poll. :(

I had the same problem when I made a poll. I missed out things I really wanted to be on there. As it happens, on this one, I would also have liked to vote for CM 97/98. I voted for FM07, though. And on the face it, it's just possible I did actually prefer it to the aforementioned.

01/02 by far the best, but really like FM07 as well. Just didnt get on with FM08

Yep, same for me. I played CM01/02 for years sometimes updating it and then playing it how it came. It was simple and straight forward and lots of fun. I was put off by FM06 after playing a demo. I briefly had 03/04? on the Xbox which was basically unplayable. I finally got my hands on FM07 which I like a lot. But 01/02 is legendary and my no.1.

Archived