FM09 will be...

FM08 just updated with a tweaked skin and a couple of 'small additions' to make you buy it. I bet hardly anything will change. Nothing ever does these days. Its been the same layouts and style for the past couple of years and to be quite honest i am getting bored of buying the 'same' game each year. I am all for the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' routine but FM08 had alot of problems which the patches fixed but some are still there. I serriously wanted a complete overhaul on FM09 that would better implement these features and make the game more slick and not so 'boring looking'.

EA Sports will wipe the floor with SI this year unless serrious changes are made.

A few years ago i would buy this game because there was 'little' or 'none' competition that could compete. EA Sports tho have released a really good attempt at Fifa Manager 2008. To be honest i didnt like Fifa Manager 2008 much due to some 'small' issues' but by the looks of it they will have sorted that for Fifa Manager 2009. How come they can add in the chants for the teams yet SI can't seem to do anything but having the real club names, player names and league names? Someone needs to get their finger out.

Conclusion: FM09 needs to be a serriously improved game or i can see alot of people thinking about other options.

No doubt alot of people will disagree but wake-up. FM08 is the same game each season. Just an updated database with a few tweaks. Everything is left to the skin, facepacks and soundpack modifiers out there, who seem to put more work in that SI these days.

I wish i could take bets on this:

Q. "Will FM09 be a hugely improved game?"

Odds:

Yes - 100/1

No - 1/100 (Fav.)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think FM09 will follow the same route as FM08 in terms of features, FM09 will likely have improved training, player interaction, transfer system, other little additions, and a few major ones which will seem unuseful after a while.

The confidence addition in FM08 is majorly dissapointing, it has no use in the game and is there for the look and how your doing, match flow wasn't groundbreaking at all and gets unnoticable after sometime, other additions seem to make it very similar to FM07 but a bugged version. But FM08 is still the best football management game on the market, but its slowly getting repetitive every year, something needs to change.

So you've based all these assumptions on what exactly ? All that information we've got on the new game ? Or the fact EA are a mile behind in the management stakes (despite what you seem to think).

How about odds on wheather SI will blow it's competetors out of the water this season...

Yes - 1/100

No - 500/1

So you've based all these assumptions on what exactly ? All that information we've got on the new game ? Or the fact EA are a mile behind in the management stakes (despite what you seem to think).

How about odds on wheather SI will blow it's competetors out of the water this season...

Yes - 1/100

No - 500/1

I reckon SI will release another ill fated product which needs patching up twice and after 3-4 months after release the game will not be anywhere near bug free and then they won't bother patching it anymore.

I love it how the doubters have already turned up, yet there has been no information released yet on FM09. :D

To the Opening Poster, stop moaning about something you don't actually know about yet. At least wait until some info is released, try the demo, and then try and make a more constructive judgment rather than wasting forum space.

Have a nice day. :)

You're asking for "serious changes" but it's difficult to revolutionize gameplay without sacrificing what makes FM FM. I think it's laughable that you think FIFA Manager has what it takes to dethrone FM. Their idea of improving the game is adding features like spending the money you make as a manager on a girlfriend/real estate/cars.

I love how people complain about bugs in FM and then talk about moving to something like FIFA instead.

The flaws in both FIFA and CM are quite fundamental.

I wonder what WAG features EA will add to their game this year?

Yes - 1/100

No - 500/1

I am basing this information on my own personal experience, i think i have basically stated the obvious and something everyone has noticed. I wanted to say my bit because 'if noone complains, nothing will change'. I don't need information on the new FM09 before i can comment, i already know what it will be like and what the game will look like. It doesnt take a genius. Look at FM06, then FM07 and FM08. Its the SAME game just more bugged each year with a sweets to get you to buy it again. Search around these forums, there are so many complaints i fully agree with that i cannot be bothered to repeat another 10 times.

The point of this was to prove that when FM09 is finally released, my assumption will be right. Nothing will have changed except a different coloured skin with the same match engine and boring text based menus.

Threads i agree with:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=39423 [Good points]

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=34695 [Good points about the transfer system]

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=37530

WWfan - this is the first time that I've ever overruled a mod on the forum (as you well know, I leave the moderation to the mods) but I'm actually quite keen on seeing if I get a response on this one :)

So thread re-opened!

I was in the process of closing it as you posted. Had I seen your post first I'd have kept it open.

On your head be it, though. ;)

My prediction? Based on nothing but my own drug-addled imagination:

FM09 will take some of the interface cues from FML (for better or worse), and possibly have a built-in FML client. There are definite differences between the two products, but who knows?

Possibly the most pointless thread I've ever seen. Deconstructing the problems in FM09 before anything about it has even been announced. Genius.

I don't see how it is pointless, personally. Contentious and a bit ballsy to post on the official forums, but not pointless. Sarcastically calling someone genius is calling them stupid, which is, well, kinda a de facto hypocritical remark, isn't it?

Again, personally, I feel similarly to the OP in worrying that the next version of the game will not improve as much as I would like it to. On the other hand I do realize I'm in the minority and I don't think people will yet turn away from the FM series. It seems that most FM'ers are content with the conservative stepwise polishing of the basic game. And that means there is a fanbase. It is one instance where I think the argument: "If you don't like it, don't play it" makes some sense as clearly there are plenty that do like it, and there are emerging 'other options' as the OP mentions.

I think the point of such a thread, besides stirring the pot a little (IE posting where flames are likely to ensue), is to try to mentally prepare for disappointment. Those of us who want more ambitious changes likely have been disappointed over the last few iterations, and are likely to be again. As such it does help to process this with other fans to temper the anticipation a bit. I think that is great, and I'm glad that we are able to 'be worried' without being condemned for not being super positive and upbeat.

I'll reiterate though: It really does seem that the majority (not even to mention SI themselves) are very happy with the kind of iterative development currently going on with the game, and I'm sure the OP will understand why his post will draw the inevitable slams. But he isn't alone.

Granted SI have produced similar games over the last few years, but, unless I am very much mistaken, is that not what a series of games is about? Taking what you did in the last game and adding stuff or taking things away to make it better? Which IMO is what SI have done ever since I could use a computer and found CM2 at my cousins house

But I digress, in a way I do agree with some of the points the OP raises, the bugs being the main thing, but most of these were sorted by patches, which I don't mind waiting for and installing, if anything it actually creates longevity, as it makes me re-interested in the game

I like the OP and Smac have concerns that 09 will not quite live up the expectations of the majority of the FMers on here, but at the end of the day, all I really want from SI is that they have worked to sort out the issues from 08 and also looked at the suggestions that a lot of us have put forward on these forums and that they have taken the best ones and stuck them in the game, that is all, no massive leap forward but a step in the right direction

Granted SI have produced similar games over the last few years, but, unless I am very much mistaken, is that not what a series of games is about? Taking what you did in the last game and adding stuff or taking things away to make it better? Which IMO is what SI have done ever since I could use a computer and found CM2 at my cousins house

But I digress, in a way I do agree with some of the points the OP raises, the bugs being the main thing, but most of these were sorted by patches, which I don't mind waiting for and installing, if anything it actually creates longevity, as it makes me re-interested in the game

I like the OP and Smac have concerns that 09 will not quite live up the expectations of the majority of the FMers on here, but at the end of the day, all I really want from SI is that they have worked to sort out the issues from 08 and also looked at the suggestions that a lot of us have put forward on these forums and that they have taken the best ones and stuck them in the game, that is all, no massive leap forward but a step in the right direction

Well said. :thup: I fully agree with you.

This might seem like another rant at FM09 from myself but I agree with the OP, last year before FM08 came out we had the same thing from SI, saying that FM08 had over 100 features, the so called 'match flow' was the next big thing since the introduction of 2D, guess what?...the match flow feature was only an improvement and seemed very medicore compared to the 2D and how long was it when the 2D came into existence? The over 100 features were unnoticible...there was a buzz about how the game included clouds when it was cloudy etc...various other things, it was a dissapointment from FM07, the confidence feature has no affect on the game itself...only a look feature. One positive to draw from FM08 was the ability to juggle wage/transfer budgets which I love, the match engine was vastly improved also. There is one element SI has yet not improved on and that is the rewards and challenge system in the game, the game ticks itself over and over season after season with the exact same comments, challenges and all your aiming for is the top spot in the hall of fame with no challenging end aims. I see that revamping the training, transfer system, player interaction is needed but we have had that before, something else is now needed.

There aren't enough laughing forum smiley faces in the world to express my reaction to the following: "EA Sports will wipe the floor with SI this year unless serrious changes are made.

As much as I, too, am doubting FM 2009, there's no way EA will provide any competition to SI any time soon... simply because FIFA is the clear-cut casual game, while SI is the clear-cut hardcore game. Mixing fans of each game will be like mixing oil and water - they may mix at first, but will quickly realise where they fit-in: casual or simulation.

I have to admit I'm torn on this issue.

I agree with many posters on each side of the argument, however I disagree with some of the extremely rash comments made by the OP. I don't think you should have used such a strong choice of words, for example "ea will wipe the floor with si...". To me I very much doubt it, for many reasons. One of which is, Si and FM are like the Man Utd of Football Management series', experienced and produces a good quality game every year, although I know many may or may not agree with me on that. The fact is, outside Si and Sega we have no idea how much revamping the game could cost, economically and socially as many people would be put off and see FM not as a series anymore as it is completely different to its predessors.

Concluding, all I can say is, wait for the demo and/or news of the features etc and then repost this thread.

Thanks

Who cares if its an update with a few features I'll buy it.

Its by far the best game about.

I hate people that complain about games if you dont like something dont buy it.

Thats a bit of a stupid comment really isnt it? If you dont like something dont buy it?

Thats like saying if you dont like kiwi fruits dont try them. How can you know you dont like it if you dont try it?

I think this time maybe SI can be trustable.

The newest CM has already posed a challenge to SI by introducing 3D match interface. SI, though has been building on the platform from previous FMs and seems repetitive, yet has been improving by making things simpler and introducing new managerial structure with affliate clubs and sort of; it has been fresh enough to get me on the game. CM has been increasingly complex till its annoying, and the gap between the two game standards was huge, with FM leading of course. Thats my opinion.

This time CM put up a good challenge with 3D isometric engine. Unless FM wants to lose out, which I don't think they want, I would be expecting alot better for FM. Kinda like Man U leading but this time Chelsea is putting up a threat.

So I guess no worries for SI? The SI team seems confident enough. :)

There's plenty of people on these forums that still only play FM'07... they didn't like the 2008 upgrades and features, so they voted with their time and money and stuck with the older version. It's a more useful solution than popping off at SI on these boards. Play what you like, don't buy what you don't.

Thats a bit of a stupid comment really isnt it? If you dont like something dont buy it?

Thats like saying if you dont like kiwi fruits dont try them. How can you know you dont like it if you dont try it?

That's why we get a demo each year, if you don't like that then don't buy the full version!

fm 09 will be a game, like others in the series. some will love it, some will hate it.. others will grow to love it.... the teams confident in what they do, as they are every year, and there's no shortage of people on here looking forward to the new release....

i agree with the op ea's closest competitors are just updating their football titles as oppose to seriously putting the work in (at least that what it looks like from playing the games) which has allowed them to catch up with them...

i mean look what happended with pes 2008, fifa wiped the floor with that and looks set to do the same this year... i seriously hope i cant say the same thing about fm come oct as i couldnt invisage swapping over to fifamanager

I like the confidence from SI, now just release some info already on 09!!! I am tired of that disappointment I feel every day when I visit and see no news :)

I like the way that you say that FM will be the same game when EA literally release the same game with a different menu year after year. The NHL series hasnt changed in 5 years for the PC.

To be fair - with NHL(and most of their other games) they've really abandoned the PC versions to focus more on the console games. The console games have came on leaps and bounds.

i've been playing champ or fm now since the first game came out in what 93? i have bought every version now and it has always been a case of gradual improvement each year, granted there has not been a new game engine for a few years but i think this one is about as good as it's going to get. what i do think is that there is no point in buying fm09 when i'm going to be playing fml. why would i want to play aganist the computer when i could be mixing it up online? why would i want to pay 40 quid for a game that, if your going to play fml, is obsolete?

if your not going to play fml, and you are unhappy with the evolution of the game get whatever version you are happiest with (07 by the sounds of it) and use the data editor.

Athletico Pathetico SAD FC PLC

game world - chung

Archived