It's official, I've left the top of the world for the very bottom - and I can't wait

It kicked in earlier today. I'd done the 'take nothing team to as good as they can be' with Redditch. I'd done the 'get League One sleeping giants to Champions League heroes' with Forest. I'd done the 'get perennial Premiership underachievers to win 5 Premiership titles, 2 Champions Leagues and an FA Cup and League Cup' with Newcastle'. I'd won the World Cup and the Euro with England. All in one file, on one game. I was the best manager in the world and if I had my eye on a player I could have him at my club within 2 years.

But my motivation to continue with England and Newcastle - winning everything, conquering competitions without trying - was draining. It was all too easy. That thrill of simply winning a game, of bringing in a loanee who bangs in 8 goas in 10 games, or braving a 0-0 draw at Billerciay to stay in the playoff hunt was no longer there. And I loved that thrill. But what was left? Did I really have the drive to return to the depths of the Blue Square regions, and take an unheard of club to historic glory? No, I didn't. But there was one team sat in the Blue Square North who didn't fit the description of 'unheard of club', or at least they didn't to me. I'd found what I could do. There, staring me in the face, was the opportunity to do what, in real life, we all want to do more than anything, more than winning the World Cup or being given Manager of the Year.

I could go to Rotherham. Hang on, stop laughing, I could go to Rotherham because they are my hometown club. And what could be better than taking your beloved team to glory?

So I've gone from the very top of the world to the very bottom. It's gonna be bloody reyt hard. I can't call upon any well-known Conference proven scorers - I'm in 2036. Rotherham are (much like real life until recenty, when we've seemingly sorted ourselves out) on the brink of bankrupcy and I have huge expectation on my shoulders. Unlike in real life, my huge reputation won't get me loads of managers and top players helping me out. But I can't wait. I've got the FM buzz back.

Stay tuned to see how my return to non-league football goes.

I must admit I too lost the buzz but earlier I had the idea of going my team, Celtic, and building the team fully of Scottish players, and trying to get Champions League success. I quite fancy that! Or even in another country and do the same.

Good luck with Rotherham!

i have to sa ive got the buzz except no glory before it lol,

The year is 2011 and ive noticed cambridge united had recently sunk into the BS South and I am now ready for my second go at the bottom of the pile, i know its not the hardest of challenges with them being a big ish club but its been a few years since they had good times so i intend to bring them up the leagues, ive suffered relegation with le mans in te french league 1 unfortunatly and am ashamed to admit i got coventry relegated from league 1 to league 2 ( sobs into keyboard ). this is the time i win something!! m currently top after 12 games so fingers crossed!

This sounds like fun! im currently enjoying being the manager of my hometown club and the club iv supported all my life LEEDS UNITED :) recently voted the most hated club in england but i love them and thats all that matters lol. But this thread gave me ideas im currently lying top of the championship in the second year (as i had to start again due to corrupt save file or something) but once i have conquered the premiership an english cup and the champions league i think i may well do the same. I currently have halifax town as a feeder club i would quite like to take them over once i have completed these goals with leeds.

This is something I have been toying with for the last few weeks. I am Oldham and have brought them up through the leagues and although I have had no EPL titles or CL in this version, I have a few cups for my troubles. The problem is I do not find the game as interesting when I am spending £millions on players as I did when I found a guy on a free, or a loan. Let me know how you get on with Rotherham as I may follow a similar suit if it brings the spark back into FM

Archived