Exiting game then going back on when on bad form

Does anyone else believe that when your team are on bad form it might be fixed by saving the game, exiting then going back on? I used to do it on CM and was convinced it worked, and I am still prone to doing it on FM08 but find it isn't quite that easy to regain form on this one!

Similarly, when I'm on good form I never want to come off, not just because I love the winning feeling, but because I fear when I go back on in the morning my great form will have ended.

Anyone else had/have similar thoughts?

There's a logical explanation for this. At least, there is for me.

When my team goes into bad form, I lose a bit of patience and I get so desperate for a good result that I start to rush things. So I find that if I go away for a bit, I come back refreshed and focused on sorting things out. A few tactical tweaks seem to make a difference.

But I suppose I could just be imagining that.

It doesnt make any sense to me but if Im on a run and save, Ill usually lose the next game when I load and if Im on a losing streak, Ill often break that when I load up next time.

Havent a clue why it seems that way just like I havent a clue why it seems you always draw a team in the cup that you are due to play in the games around the cup match anyway.

I know what you mean.

If you are on a great run and have to stop,then load up the next day your form/great run

seems to go.

I posted a similar question a few months ago as i stopped playing in the middle of an 18 game unbeaten run.I went on the day after and promptly lost to 3 out of the bottom 5 clubs.

I know this can happen irl but it seemed very harsh to me.

One of the better answers i received was that the computer starts up again in a random way which doesn't take into account your unbeaten run.

The only way i've found to get round this is to save your game at the very end of your previous game,and not just before you start to play the next one.

Hope this makes sense/helps you out.

I'm a full believer in it. When I'm going well, I leave the game on for days at a time. When I'm losing, I'll exit and come back later. I think what Mike7077 says is also true as well. Plus, when I'm calmer, losses don't irritate me as much and I just forge ahead.

I never noticed this but my theory is this. You're on a bad run of form and you are getting irritated that you can't end it. You are getting impatient and end up rushing things like tactic settings, picking team etc. When you reload the save the next time you are more composed and try your hardest by taking your time to make sure to every setting is perfect to hopefully get the right result. It is similar for when you reload after a good run of form. You become complacent and think the good results will come without putting in the same amount of effort. This may happen in your subconscious, though. That is what I think, anyway.

As far as I am aware the game doesn't "take into account your unbeaten run" explicitly even when you are playing in an unbroken stretch. The unbeaten run just contributes to player morale and form and whatever other parameters get stored for team cohesion, etc, etc. Unless there is some naff programming behind the scenes all these things should be parameters that get saved along with the game.

Random numbers are generated constantly to determine things within the match engine and other parts of the game, but contrary to superstition you don't get a "good run" or a "bad run" of random numbers as such, not least because the random number generator has no idea what is going to be done with the numbers generated - i.e. whether they will feed into the probability of a "good" event for the user or a "bad" event or even some event that has next to no effect on the user at all (e.g. a player transfer between two AI clubs).

I normally don't run with these ideas but I agree with the OP its uncanny how sessions of FM fall into the good bad catagory, and then the next is generally the opposite of hwo it was going before. When I am on a hot run I end up playing for hours longer than I shoudl because I don't want to save and hav eit go backwards when I start again.

Sure it may be my perception or even negative/posative re-enforcement but damn it does seem to work that way to me :)

I like to save the game fairly frequently (have done since FM05 used to crash on me a lot)...

...but i am fairly superstitious about when i do it too. I don't like to save and/or exit the game after a win or before an big/important game because it may either effect my good form/karma of the team or "FM might think i'm cheating and make me lose the next game".

It sounds even more ridiculous having written it down and dont believe for a second it actually makes a difference, but then i am also neurotic about where i leave the mouse pointer during the match too!!

There's a logical explanation for this. At least, there is for me.

When my team goes into bad form, I lose a bit of patience and I get so desperate for a good result that I start to rush things. So I find that if I go away for a bit, I come back refreshed and focused on sorting things out. A few tactical tweaks seem to make a difference.

But I suppose I could just be imagining that.

I agree. I've seen people post this sort of thing before but never quite believed it. I tend to also lose patience as happened a couple of nights ago when my team stumbled. I went away though and went back on the next night and my team played much better when I was more relaxed and thinking clearer.

The logical explanation (in terms of people quiting the game and then loading it up again immediately rather than taking a few hours break) is simply as has already been aluded to that the human memory is biased and people always remember most those occasions were they went from a good run to a bad run and conveniently forget the plethora of other occasions where this isn't the case.

The logical explanation (in terms of people quiting the game and then loading it up again immediately rather than taking a few hours break) is simply as has already been aluded to that the human memory is biased and people always remember most those occasions were they went from a good run to a bad run and conveniently forget the plethora of other occasions where this isn't the case.

Yes I aluded to it damn my human brain, not sure I would be better off with any other kind tho ?

bear in mind that at 10 years old and playing Premier Manager 2 i started to beleive that my good results were tied to my consumption of Tesco's Greek Yogurts (with fruity bits in) and i tihnk you'll soon see that people can have very strange superstitions!

Archived