Do managers get new favourite clubs?

I started a league with Lecce in Serie B, and have managed to pretty much keep us up in the first season in Serie A. You'll probably notice I put "us", which shows that in this game, I have started to like them. The board have been good to me, the players all respect me, and fans seem to love me and bombard football phone ins when I am linked with other jobs.

It's safe to say Lecce should be added to my 'favourite clubs' in my profile. Does this ever occur on FM2008? I have been with Lecce for over a 1000 days now and it still doesn't appear.

Unfortunately manager profiles don't change at all in that aspect - you can't select more than one favoured club, you can't have favoured personel, you can't even have a city of birth when you start the game and you can't chose for yourself your favoured tactic (in your profile) and playing mentality etc, etc :(

I would have "in love with Timmy Simmons" in my current save. But yes, I'd like the opportunity to set more of a managerial profile. I.e. place of birth = Gravesend. And when I take over Ebbsfleet (or even Gillingham at a push), the news item could say, "local lad takes over XCLUB", or whatever.

Choosing your favourite club during the game is good, but couldn't the game itself decide those things? It happens with players, who add me as their 'favourite staff'. If I take an assistant manager with me to another club, his name should be automatically added. If I stay at a club for 4 years, they should be added automatically.

Constantly praising a player should also result in them being added to your favourite staff list.

Choosing your favourite club during the game is good, but couldn't the game itself decide those things? It happens with players, who add me as their 'favourite staff'. If I take an assistant manager with me to another club, his name should be automatically added. If I stay at a club for 4 years, they should be added automatically.

Constantly praising a player should also result in them being added to your favourite staff list.

I disagree. I don't like the idea of being told who is my favoured player and who isn't etc.

Plus, sometimes I really get fond of a useless player just because he scores on important goal or something but the game would never reflect that because I wouldn't be praising him alot and probably not playing him much. You get where I'm going with this :)

I guess you're right. I'm expecting too much of the game. It can't possibly be that clever yet.

Maybe when you right click on a player, you should be able to choose "Add to Favourite Staff list". When you take a new job, the media could suggest that you are going to take your favourite players with you. The players could become unsettled by this too (Lampard/Inter/Mourinho is a prime example of this).

I guess you're right. I'm expecting too much of the game. It can't possibly be that clever yet.

Maybe when you right click on a player, you should be able to choose "Add to Favourite Staff list". When you take a new job, the media could suggest that you are going to take your favourite players with you. The players could become unsettled by this too (Lampard/Inter/Mourinho is a prime example of this).

I agree with this - though I think there'd have to be a limit on the number of favourite staff and clubs you can have (say five staff and two clubs).

• SI Staff

I can't say I'm familiar with saved game editors but if you really wanted to add a favourite club then surely you could do it that way?

I agree with GillsMan about having a limit if it's implemented in future FMs

This is a feature that I miss. I remember on cm0304 Dean Ashton appeared on my list after I rescued him from the Palace bench in the championship and he became my top scorer for West Ham in the Premiership. It was as if the game was reading my mind!

Archived