A true Football Legend

When they are in your Club's favoured personnel list and if they have been loyal to your club through thick and thin and don't just run off when they get an offer from a different club e.g giggs, tony adams

i agree, very true. but in that sense would you say the likes of terry and gerrard are legends or are they too young for that label? its a hard one.

lol. Kightly is a good player tbh. Btw, just to let people know, there is a difference between a club legend and a football legend. A club legend is a player that is loved by the fans of the club and has been loyal and helped the club achieve success while breaking a club record. ie thierry henry top goalscorer. A football legend is a title that takes a career to earn. You become a football legend when you achieve success with many different top teams and also at international level. ie zidane- juventus, real madrid and france. he was always the main man. So in conclusion, Stevie G is a club legend and so is JT. But it will take longer for them to become football legends Did what I say make any sense to you, moaner? :)

on fm i believe its any one over 30 whos the best on the game at their positionion

but in real life i believe its personal opinion

i would say that the likes of pele, maradona, david cooper, ally mccoist, best, charlton, john greg, davie miekle john, buffon, stanley mathews, keegan, souness

i believe they become legends when they leave you in awe of there talents

I always have a little chuckle to myself when I see Gerard mentioned as a legend or how comitted he is to Liverpool, is this the same Gerard who handed in a transfer request and was Chelsea bound 3 or 4 years ago? :D

IMO a football legend is an understated genius e.g. Paul Scholes, Alan Shearer someone who really is world class, but doesn't get the media attention some others do. A club legend can be anyone and anything, it could be that GK who only made one appearance for your club, but got you into the next round of the cup against a top team.

lol. Kightly is a good player tbh. Btw, just to let people know, there is a difference between a club legend and a football legend. A club legend is a player that is loved by the fans of the club and has been loyal and helped the club achieve success while breaking a club record. ie thierry henry top goalscorer. A football legend is a title that takes a career to earn. You become a football legend when you achieve success with many different top teams and also at international level. ie zidane- juventus, real madrid and france. he was always the main man. So in conclusion, Stevie G is a club legend and so is JT. But it will take longer for them to become football legends Did what I say make any sense to you, moaner? :)

Spot on. 1010101

I don't I agree with that part. I don't think anyone would argue that players like Bobby Charlton and George Best aren't true football legends, yet they only achieved successes with Manchester United.

I don't I agree with that part. I don't think anyone would argue that players like Bobby Charlton and George Best aren't true football legends, yet they only achieved successes with Manchester United.

Bobby Charlton only achieved successes with Manchester United? Are you sure?

Bobby Charlton only achieved successes with Manchester United? Are you sure?

Yeah well in club football. Fair enough if his England success gives more ground for him being a legend. But what about Best then?

i agree, very true. but in that sense would you say the likes of terry and gerrard are legends or are they too young for that label? its a hard one.

To be fair, of course Terry and Gerrard are excellent players, but it is difficult to judge their loyalty as they have played for an excellent club all their lives.

Imagine Gerrard would have started at, let's say, Bolton. Of course he would have moved to a bigger club over time. Would that make him disloyal? Of course this is purely hypothetical, but you get my point I hope.

What I'm trying to say is that it is more difficult for gems of players who start at smaller clubs to become legends, because they will have to move to a bigger club one day, making them seem disloyal.

Terry and Gerrard can always play at the same club, because there aren't many clubs out there that are bigger than Chelsea and Liverpool respectively. Would they have been loyal to Chelsea and Liverpool if they were relegation candidates?

I'd say when a player's description is 'legendary [position]'.

I'd agree that there's a difference between a club legend and a football legend, but like Ainu I'd disagree that a player needs to experience success with many different top teams to constitute a 'football legend' status. I would say that they need to experiance success at the top level with at least one big team, but, while at this moment JT and Gerrard are not more than club legends with their clubs, if they stay at Chelsea and Liverpool respectively for the rest of their careers and those clubs remain two of the biggest in European football then they will be football legends.

I knew someone would say that. But at the time he did join us we were pushing Man Utd for the title, we weren't always this bad. ;)

I'm just kididng around. I'm actually a Man. United fan, but I realise Shearer wanted to play for his hometown club. Can't say fairer than that. Solskjaer was consolation enough!

Nostalgia! When people can look back and remember a player who was great for a club even after they are gone. It's easy to remember Kegan, Robson et al because they manage the clubs we watch week in week out. Fairplay they were great players, but legends live on in spirit once their presence has gone!

To be fair, of course Terry and Gerrard are excellent players, but it is difficult to judge their loyalty as they have played for an excellent club all their lives.

Imagine Gerrard would have started at, let's say, Bolton. Of course he would have moved to a bigger club over time. Would that make him disloyal? Of course this is purely hypothetical, but you get my point I hope.

What I'm trying to say is that it is more difficult for gems of players who start at smaller clubs to become legends, because they will have to move to a bigger club one day, making them seem disloyal.

Terry and Gerrard can always play at the same club, because there aren't many clubs out there that are bigger than Chelsea and Liverpool respectively. Would they have been loyal to Chelsea and Liverpool if they were relegation candidates?

That is a fair point and even though I am a Man United fan I always think that. Players like Matt le Tissier would be an example of loyal player at a smaller club (sorry Southampton fans, :D).

I think of real players as legends when I still think of them after their careers are over.

For instance, with real players I still would say: "He's like a little Zola", or "As imposing as Schmeichel", or "Surprises like Zizou". When a player lives forever in your memory and mind as the personification of some aspect of the game, he's Legend. So for me it is somewhat personal, but most legends others know about and feel similarly about, so it works out that they are fairly agreed upon in the world. Nonetheless I think the personal aspect of legendary players is generative. They are the gods in the temple of football.

And as such, claiming that a relatively unheard of player is legendary for you is perfectly legitimate. Its the role he plays in your thinking that makes him legend, not the other way around.

Archived