Idea for FM09

I don't know whether this has been mentioned or not but I think it would be a good idea for chairmen's personalities to affect transfer negotiations more. For example, chairman such as Aulas or Del Nido who have a reputation for driving a hard bargain would only allow the transfer of their players if they got a very high offer, even if the player wanted to leave.

I also think that somehow the element of the transfer window could be added in somehow. For example, you could risk leaving it late to do a deal and therefore the price would be less (like with arshavin now) but obviously the risk is that you don't have time to do the deal.

Lastly, when clubs are receiving offers from say, Derby and Man U, they shouldn't accept the same bid from both teams. They should really negotiatiate with man utd for a higher price as they know they have bags of money.

Also, on a side note, would there be any chance of having the option to play the game with team talks turned off. By that i don't mean leaving them to the assistant, i mean play the game without the feature? I for one find them tedious and repetitive (i'm sure others don't).

With regards to attributes, I have played the game alot and read some stuff on here that has made me dissillusioned with the attribute system. I don't get how players that are fast (eg walcott when he matures) can perform amazingly well but look average on their stats. Similary, someone like Agbonlahor has rubbish stats apart from his athletic ones. Why does the fact that they are fast mean they have to be less good in other areas?

Lastly, I think the retraining player system is too rigid. Essentially, if a player has the ability and versatility to be retrained to another position, it should eventually become another natural position for him if he plays there well enough there consistently. Take Henry for example, his natural position isn't left wing, its striker. Also, when e retraining a player from say the left side to the right side. As well as gaining the position of say right midfield, he should also gain the awkward/competent positions at right wing and right wing back.

Just some ideas. I'm sure people will disagree with alot!

Why would you want team talks off? I've played cm00/01 and cm3 a few times since in got FM08 and have been losing, and there is nothing I can do to change my players or give them more confidence.

Team talks are a bit of a problem. Actually interpreting what they mean is quite tricky. Or rather, what is tricky is understanding how the players will interpret them.

I wouldn't want to turn them off, though.

But in real life players often become a "natural" in a position late on. Henry, for example, in the game would have been a "natural" left winger and a just a "competent" striker many years ago. Clearly he is now a "natural" striker. In the game however, he could only ever be an "accomplished" striker which isn't the case. The same can be said for kolo toure (was a natural midfielder, but is now a natural cb now), rio ferdinand (was a striker at youth level, then became a cb), and many many other players.

But in real life players often become a "natural" in a position late on. Henry, for example, in the game would have been a "natural" left winger and a just a "competent" striker many years ago. Clearly he is now a "natural" striker. In the game however, he could only ever be an "accomplished" striker which isn't the case. The same can be said for kolo toure (was a natural midfielder, but is now a natural cb now), rio ferdinand (was a striker at youth level, then became a cb), and many many other players.

It still depends on his versatality. You can play a defender all you want in the front row and he can do well there too, but if he can't change his mindset, he will always be a defender who can play as a striker, but not a real striker.

So I believe it still depends on how versatile he is, or perhaps even for a particular position.

I like the idea of players becoming naturals/accomplished in a position once retrained to a position there stats are suitable for.

I have a couple of suggestions for a future FM

1) going into administration: obivously with finances massively important in football nowadays the game should reflet this i.e. if a club is over spending and loans escalating there is only one way the club will go.

I dont think however in this game you should be playing it and just read in the news " you're in administration heres your ten point deduction". There should be at least 12 months warning and a date set and a traget for finances for that date so if you achieve the target you dont go into admin.

The reason for the 12 months is so you can get a full summer of dealings (selling!). Also you should only be able to go into admin at the end of the summer transfer window not when ur already relegated ie do a Leeds.

2) The other idea concerns transfers and particurly declaring intrest in players, it seems to be common place now that managers are frowned upon if they openly declare intrest in a player.

I do like the declare intrest option to upset a player but I think if you use it on the same player more than once or twice on the third time you could get introuble for "tapping up". Likly punishments a warning a bit like when you say the refs wrong second offence a possible fine third maybe even a points deduction. I quite like the points deduction idea havent seen it before and i could imagine when playing it would add a new dimension of anger. (obviously would have to be rare ie you dont get in trouble unless the other club reports you)

Clubs can go into administration. It does happen. And they get points docked in accordance with the rules as they are in real life.

What isn't in the game (as far as I know) is clubs going out of existence.

Ok fair enough clubs can go into admin. and the game should try to follow the rules set out ie to be realistic which FM is good at, but its a computer game and reality can get lost in translation, as normally there is a lengthy appeals procedure after the points deduction (which it would be impossible and stupid for FM to replicate as the game isnt "lawsuits manager".)

my main suggestion was given the 12 months notice (of which clubs would definatley know theres a problem given there cash flow forecasts etc) it would be quite good in my opinion if a target was set for the manager to reach.

Wouldn't you prefer for them to just work better?

Not really. Real life team talks are way too complex and infinite in variety to ever be even remotely accurately simulated in a game so we just end up with soundbite team talks. Either they give random and overpowered effects, they give utterly predictable effects or their impact is minimal, depending how they get programmed. Whichever is the case they are worthless as an addition to the game.

Exactly, all i'm saying is that if they are versatile enough and have the stats then they should ultimately become a natural at a set position rather than accomplished, for the reasons i said before.

I totally agree with you on team talks. I personally find they either have way too much effect or are just confusing as to what their effect will be. Most of all though, I just find them a bit gimmicky and annoying to have to do so the option to be able to turn them off would be great. Love the game regardless tho!

Archived